British Speedway Forum
foamfence

Arthur Wright

Sad News.

R.I.P. + Arthur.

• Like 1

Arthur Wright was before my time-but I knew he was a big star with Bradford and the bro-in-law of the Black Prince. Another guy who was one of the oldest World Finalists still around. Riders like Arthur should never be forgot-can anybody now update the oldest surviving World Finalists FFS- I know the indestructible Split is top of the list but the great Dick Bradley must be there or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Just wondering -did any forumlanders ever see Arthur Wright ride, or come to that Arthur Forrest-or are we all too young??

Just wondering -did any forumlanders ever see Arthur Wright ride, or come to that Arthur Forrest-or are we all too young??

I saw Arthur Forrest compete in the 1988 Golden Greats Meeting at Coventry.

Still some of us left who have seen Arthur Wright and Arthur Forrest ride

I saw them both ride for both Coventry and Belle Vue although Arthur Forrest only rode once for Belle Vue.

Strictly speaking they were not brothers in law as neither was married to the others sister. In fact they were both married to a sister of another speedway rider Jack Hughes. All three were very close. There is an interview with Arthur Wright and Jack Hughes on YouTube at a reunion function that is quite interesting.

For many years Jack Hughes had a coach build/repair business on the A58 in Cleckheaton near to the village of Hunsworth that is still a substantial company.

In fact Hunsworth has been quite an enclave of speedway people over the years. Bradford riders after the war, its not far from Odsall, and later the Moran brothers. I believe the tuner Gordon Hemmingway was located in or near the village.

• Like 1

Saw the two Arthurs ride at Knowle in 1952. Thought that Charles Wright was a distant relative?