British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pont

Gorzow 2017 ....

It has never been any different, you're kidding yourself if you think so.

I'd strongly dispute the claim that 90% of fans couldn't care less either about what engine riders are on, as evidenced by the number of topics regarding such things on this forum.

As for your claim he has looked 'uncompetitive' or even 'fairly' uncompetitve, that's simply not been the case. He's simply made the wrong decisions, or races haven't panned out his way on several occasions late on in the meeting.

It's interesting to note that BEFORE last night's meeting, if you worked out a 4 ride average for the riders based on the GP's so far you had:

Janowski 7.82

Woffinden 7.47

Doyle 7.06

In one meeting alone one mistake cost Tai about a dozen points. It allowed Doyle to make the semis and meant Tai missed out (or got a poor gate pick) which saw Doyle gain an extra 6 points and Tai miss out on a likely half dozen points. Similar thing happened at Cardiff, but for a handful of errors Tai would be leading the championship.

That said on Saturday he did look quicker than he did all season, but part of that must also be riding with the confidence that your engines are fast enough to do the business.

Well I for one is interested,there isn't too much information available to fans as to which engine tuner is is being used.I was hoping formula two speedway would connect with the motorcycle crowd but at the recent event at Belle Vue there was no information about which bike had which manufacturers engine installed.Not that it mattered much as they didn't seem reliable.

for me the f2 is the perfect idea but the reality is far from it , I did a day riding the f2s to see for myself if they are the answer to speedways cost , I found they were way to complicated and pretty unreliable and riding wise they are awful as the flywheels are to small for speedway and if your thinking of an entry bike for beginners then a cg125 road engine is a lot cheaper alternative

IN answer to an earlier question from The Dean Machine.... after his performance in Mallila, when he barely scored, Doyle had a panic and acquired at least one PJR to use in Gorzow. He rode it in his first two races, didn't fare well, and went back on his Flemming Gravesen engines for the rest of the meeting.

Woffinden, now using Gravesen engines, told KT that they are much easier to ride. The PJRs had plenty of power but he (Tai) couldn't use it.

Also, apparently some new material was introduced to the Gorzow track over the weekend, very sandy in nature, which didn't produce the sort of racing we have come to expect at the Edward Jancarz stadium.

THAT'S true and why Speedway Star has never indulged in technical issues about bikes, engines, etc. There is no appetite for it amongst our readers although knowing which tuner is used by which rider is a snippet worth having.

That's a shame because I, for one, would be interested.

I do believe, however, there might be considerable interest in some of the costs involved. The base cost of an engine. A typical service. The cost of parts made from exotic materials such as titanium. Tuning.

If we all knew just what a racing budget looked like (even if some of it was guesswork), there might more of a push to lower costs and put speedway on a more sensible business footing in this country.

Just a thought but has a fuel injection system ever been used in speedway?can't think of any.

It is now explicitly outlawed within the SCB's Speedway Regulations:

"10. MOTORCYCLE (Solos) TECHNICAL STANDARDS....

10.9 Carburettors, without any electronic devices fitted, only can be used; i.e. no Fuel Injection."

But I don't know about the past. I bet there was a time when the rules didn't cover this and somebody tried it.

Edited by False dawn

Many years ago I remember Wal Phillips developed fuel injection system.

Dont know how successful it was, or whether it was a failure or whether it was banned.

• Like 1

riders are interested but fans are not

What interests fans most of all is close, exciting racing with at least the possibility of passing ( especially if the rider being chased makes a forced error ) but with current engines on tracks as mostly prepared now in the UK, 75% of "races" are processions ( and boring ). It just has just about pushed me into not watching after more than 60 years of being an avid fan. And it is not because of poor health ( in my case ).

It's just that 3 out of 4 races have little interest in them regardless of what machine, prepared by which tuner they are riding. The only way to attract a new generation of keen supporters is to make sure that 75% or races are speedway "racing". I am talking about UK league racing here and not the GP or international events when riders do 'got at it" more seriously. Perhaps paid for points only and no match guarantees?

Didn't you think it was great that the best British rider ever produced all the excitement?

No - I didn't think the best British rider ever was still racing!

Tai had 7 races and made passes in 5 of them.... makes you proud to be British didn't it???

I've read some strange comments from you on the forum, but this one takes the star prize! Edited by Midland Red

Also, apparently some new material was introduced to the Gorzow track over the weekend, very sandy in nature, which didn't produce the sort of racing we have come to expect at the Edward Jancarz stadium.

Seems strange to introduce something new to a trak that was known to produce good racing. Wonder what the thinking was behind that move?

That's a shame because I, for one, would be interested.

I do believe, however, there might be considerable interest in some of the costs involved. The base cost of an engine. A typical service. The cost of parts made from exotic materials such as titanium. Tuning.

If we all knew just what a racing budget looked like (even if some of it was guesswork), there might more of a push to lower costs and put speedway on a more sensible business footing in this country.

It is now explicitly outlawed within the SCB's Speedway Regulations:

"10. MOTORCYCLE (Solos) TECHNICAL STANDARDS....

10.9 Carburettors, without any electronic devices fitted, only can be used; i.e. no Fuel Injection."

But I don't know about the past. I bet there was a time when the rules didn't cover this and somebody tried it.

I would have thought that EFI and plug and play engine control units would have made setting up the bikes a whole lot easier.

No - I didn't think the best British rider ever was still racing!

I've read some strange comments from you on the forum, but this one takes the star prize!

Ok so who is the best British rider ever??? 2 world titles must rank Tai as the best we have ever had apart from Craven.

And why was it strange comments??

People moaned about the lack of passing

Tai had 7 races and passed riders in 5 of those.

Tai is British like myself..so yes it did make me proud that the only rider livening up the meeting was of my nationality........please tell me why that is strange???

Ok so who is the best British rider ever??? 2 world titles must rank Tai as the best we have ever had apart from Craven.

Tai is British like myself..so yes it did make me proud that the only rider livening up the meeting was of my nationality........please tell me why that is strange???

He was even singing "God save the Queen" on Sat.He is false though IMO .

He was even singing "God save the Queen" on Sat.He is false though IMO .

If you watch carefully though, he's actually mouthing Waltzing Matilda. :wink:

• Like 1

often disagree with you, but on this i agree.

Tai along with PCx2 is one of three riders with a genuine claim to be considered the best post-war Brit imo (specifying that to avoid debating on the merits of Tom Farndon etc.)

A world title, or even podium sport, would imo place Tai as a clear number 1 on that list, and I say that as an Aces fan (albeit one from the post Craven era, and only saw PC when he was past his peak).

And agree, meeting was poor, but Tai produced some great passes.

THREE successive maximums in tough World Team Cup finals on the Peter Collins c.v.

And pairs titles with 5? different partners. And under a gp system could well have been b2b world champion. So I agree it's not clear cut.

With the other PC you can argue there could have been more world championships to come, though conversely I think the commonly held view on here is that under a gp system he would not have been a double world champion.

But Tai has two gold plus a silver in the individual title. His performance last year in the World Cup surely compares with any of PCs maximums.

You can debate forever and people won't agree, and that's part of the great thing about such discussions. But even if Tai is not the greatest (yet) he is certainly alongside those greats from the past.