British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pont

Gorzow 2017 ....

Guest GiveusaB

Ok so who is the best British rider ever??? 2 world titles must rank Tai as the best we have ever had apart from Craven.

And why was it strange comments??

People moaned about the lack of passing

Tai had 7 races and passed riders in 5 of those.

Tai is British like myself..so yes it did make me proud that the only rider livening up the meeting was of my nationality........please tell me why that is strange???

I think it depends on how old you are and what era you're from?

I think Michael Lee was the most natural talent Britain's ever produced!

IN answer to an earlier question from The Dean Machine.... after his performance in Mallila, when he barely scored, Doyle had a panic and acquired at least one PJR to use in Gorzow. He rode it in his first two races, didn't fare well, and went back on his Flemming Gravesen engines for the rest of the meeting.

Woffinden, now using Gravesen engines, told KT that they are much easier to ride. The PJRs had plenty of power but he (Tai) couldn't use it.

Also, apparently some new material was introduced to the Gorzow track over the weekend, very sandy in nature, which didn't produce the sort of racing we have come to expect at the Edward Jancarz stadium.

Which clown sanctioned that, an experiment of new shale before the biggest meeting of the year at Gorzow.

Felt pretty sure, as is the norm that the locals would cop the blame for a duff GP

I think most would agree with that, however he didn't fulfil his potential, and therefore I also think most would not have him as one of the top 3 Brits of all time.

Natural talent in most sports doesnt always bring the rewards. Alex Higgins and Jimmy White compared to Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry is a prime example.

Lee, Loram , Screen probably the 3 most natural brits on a bike ever, but only 2 World titles between them.

Tai is a natural, he is effortless on the bike and not hanging off of it, reminds me of Leigh Adams in some respects , but Leigh never really tough enough to make the pinnacle in my eyes.

The fact is we have a 2 time British World Champion and one of the greats of the modern era

• Like 1

https://m.sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/707924/dariusz-ostafinski-bez-hamulcow-20-280-kilometrow-gorzowskiej-polewaczki-jak-mor

According to Sportowefakty above, Phil Morris was to blame for the state of the Gorzow track last weekend.

TRANSLATION from our Polish guy ...

HOPE the following helps...

---------------------

280 km of the Gorzow sprinkler truck. How Morris prepared the track for the SGP.

In big speedway there should not be people in shorts. This year SGP

boss Phil Morris screwed up four of eight SGP rounds. The guy likes

pouring water. The driver of the Gorzow sprinkler truck was shocked

when he had a look at the truck’s distance counter.

By steaming our man meant ... making it harder

280 kilometres was the distance covered by the Gorzow sprinkler truck

during the two days that Phil Morris used it. It is something

unbelievable, because it covers the distance of a dozen or so

kilometres when the track is prepared for a league meeting. Now it has

been going crazy doing more than 800 laps. On Saturday it was going

since 9 am. It was pure madness.

The problem of Morris is that he has soft spot for water. Obviously

280 km covered by the truck was not only watering, but also steaming,

which however does not change the fact the track was soaked as never

in relatively short time. Morris was glad as he was repeating the

track was to shine. And so it was. The problem was the meeting was

bad.

Morris’s advocates say it is unacceptable to blame him for drowning

the SGP. They emphasize that he was not involved in the preparation of

the track for Friday’s practice session. Jaroslaw Gala, the Gorzow

track curator, was believed to be fully trusted. But Gala prepared the

track in such a way it fragmented (it was too dry as it was not

watered enough) and riders did not want to go. And then Morris was to

take up the job and tried to save the situation. One of the officials

was trying to convince me the situation was that serious that the

Saturday’s round was likely to be cancelled.

But I can’t see any reason why Morris should be bleached of

accusations on the expense of the Gorzow staff. He is the boss at the

end of the day and bears the whole responsibility. If he trusted the

hosts too much on Friday, it is his problem. Anyway, he took the whole

control over the track and could do anything with it. And he did what

he can do the best, which is drowning the surface in water. During the

race-night he was running in these shorts and was supervising the

track works, but the situation was not improving. It was too hard and

too wet.

The funniest thing is that the boss showed an utter lack of logics.

Before the meeting he ordered to “scratch” the outside part of the

track in order to “turn it on”. Thanks to that we saw Michael Jepsen

Jensen passing our riders in Heat 1 – Maciej Janowski and Patryk

Dudek. But what was “scratched” before the first round of races Morris

later order to “steam” and there was no place for charges later on.

Somebody asked me what were Messrs Dariusz Cieslak and Krzysztof

Galandziuk doing during the meeting. Both were following Morris.

Somebody even mentioned that Galandziuk was there to make the track to

suit Wroclaw riders as he is from Sparta Wroclaw club. Mind you,

Cieslak was the clerk of the course, while Galndziuk was his

assistant. Both however were executing Morris’s commands, so trying to

blaming them for the state of the track is nonsense. The best

comparison would be like saying Gala was trying to make the track for

Zmarzlik. I believe the Gorzow’s track curator simply trusted his own

routine too much.

It made me laugh when I read one of experts’ opinion that our riders

did worse in Gorzow, because there was not Polish track curator there.

But in Daugavpils, where we had three on the podium and the track was

even worse, there was not a Polish track curator either. Let’s not

create any extra ideology. It would be fairer to say our boys could

not adapt to the track conditions as well as others. Well, Patryk

Dudek could. Zmarzlik struggled, but he had his mechanical problems.

Two others simply did not guess right.

It is over about the SGP, because now the play-offs are ahead of us. I

do not dare to make beats who will make it to the final. I will only

write that my original bid Wroclaw v Leszno is now under a big

question mark.

We will have big emotions not only this Sunday, but also on Friday

when POLADA will be discussing Grigory Laguta’s case. I bet there

won’t be any sentence issued and the Extraleague will be scared again.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

https://m.sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/707924/dariusz-ostafinski-bez-hamulcow-20-280-kilometrow-gorzowskiej-polewaczki-jak-mor

According to Sportowefakty above, Phil Morris was to blame for the state of the Gorzow track last weekend.

But thats how it goes, at least it did. Locals hand over the track after fridays practise. And if it's not your sandpit, how can anyone expect you could make it perfect since you dont know the mix of it and how it behaves in sun or with water.

ON one occasion I stood in for Ole Olsen (doing his Danish Strictly Come Dancing thing) as Race Director at Bydgoszcz. Tony Steele was the referee. When we arrived the track staff asked how "we" wanted the track prepared. We replied: "Just do it how your normally do it." After all, this was probably the best race track in the world. Why would we wanted to change it?

• Like 1

If PC had not suffered that horrendous accident at Hyde Road just before the 1977 world final there is no doubt he would have retained his title at Gothenburg, in fact only a re-run heat when Muller I think it was came off stopped him and he eventually finished second, I was at that meeting and he had to be lifted on and off his bike, that with a broken leg and over 300 stirches. At the time Peter was at his peak and nigh on unbeatable and I think only for that accident he could have gone on to equal Maugers three in a row. You cant just measure who was the greatest ever by titles alone as good/bad luck often plays a major part. Woofinden in no way comes close to PC,s outstanding ability on a bike and I would also put Lee, Craven, and depending how far you want to go back Parker way above, Jessup could have had a couple of titles only for ef,s for example. And lets not forget these riders had to navigate many difficult qualifying rounds to get to a world final where one bad ride e/f or exclusion meant you were finished for another year. If the GP had existed then PC for example would definitely have had more than one title and Mauger with his tremendous consistency would have had many more than the six he won he would have been in double figures. Titles don't actually tell the whole story, especially not today when riders have 12 meetings to be able to overcome injury problems, engine problems, exclusions, etc.

• Like 1

ON one occasion I stood in for Ole Olsen (doing his Danish Strictly Come Dancing thing) as Race Director at Bydgoszcz. Tony Steele was the referee. When we arrived the track staff asked how "we" wanted the track prepared. We replied: "Just do it how your normally do it." After all, this was probably the best race track in the world. Why would we wanted to change it?

Exactly!

If PC had not suffered that horrendous accident at Hyde Road just before the 1977 world final there is no doubt he would have retained his title at Gothenburg, in fact only a re-run heat when Muller I think it was came off stopped him and he eventually finished second, I was at that meeting and he had to be lifted on and off his bike, that with a broken leg and over 300 stirches. At the time Peter was at his peak and nigh on unbeatable and I think only for that accident he could have gone on to equal Maugers three in a row. You cant just measure who was the greatest ever by titles alone as good/bad luck often plays a major part. Woofinden in no way comes close to PC,s outstanding ability on a bike and I would also put Lee, Craven, and depending how far you want to go back Parker way above, Jessup could have had a couple of titles only for ef,s for example. And lets not forget these riders had to navigate many difficult qualifying rounds to get to a world final where one bad ride e/f or exclusion meant you were finished for another year. If the GP had existed then PC for example would definitely have had more than one title and Mauger with his tremendous consistency would have had many more than the six he won he would have been in double figures. Titles don't actually tell the whole story, especially not today when riders have 12 meetings to be able to overcome injury problems, engine problems, exclusions, etc.

I assume therefore you are not an Olsen fan? If PC was to win 3 years in a row (76-78), I presume maugers 10 must be 68-75 plus 79. Struggling to see that he would have won it 67 or 80, but you obviously think he would have done and Olsen never won a title. Not sure many would agree.

Not sure you can legitimately say Jessie was robbed of world titles. An ef first time out before rattling off wins in 78 meant he never really had the pressure on him. 81 penhall would have won regardless of ef. Jessup probably would have been world champ in 80 in a gp system.

I'd agree Tai isn't as natural a talent as PC or Lee, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't rank above them.

Personally I'd say winning a gp series is a better indication of being the best rider in the world than winning the old world final.

PC I would agree was best rider in the world in 76 and 77 and Lee maybe in 79.

• Like 1

I listened to the latest episode of Metanolpodd. One of the hosts had shared a car with Krister Gardell from Kumla to Eskilstuna on Tuesday last week.
Krister Gardell is supposed to have said Gorzow like all Ekstraliga teams have to put new dirt on the track after the halfway point of the season.

This is supposed to have caused that the new and old dirt/track material hadn't bonded properly.

Edited by Ghostwalker