British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

3 confirmed signings by Jackie Vatcher so far in Ben Wilson (8.50), James Cockle (7.35) and Chris Widman (4.45).

A team I'd like to see to a 40.00 limit is:

1. Ben Wilson 8.50

2. Chris Widman 4.45

3. Nathan Stoneman 6.98 / Brendan Johnson 6.21

4. Ben Hopwood 5.83

5. James Cockle 7.35

6. Layne Cupitt 3.00

7. Tyler Govier 3.30 / Kelsey Dugard 4.28

39.41 / 39.62

There's 2 permutations in case Stoneman goes to Mildenhall or Dugard to Eastbourne.

A team I'd like to see to a 38.00 limit is:

1. Ben Wilson 8.50

2. Chris Widman 4.45

3. Ben Hopwood 5.83

4. Kelsey Dugard 4.28

5. James Cockle 7.35

6. Charley Powell 4.05

7. Layne Cupitt 3.00

3 confirmed signings by Jackie Vatcher so far in Ben Wilson (8.50), James Cockle (7.35) and Chris Widman (4.45).

A team I'd like to see to a 40.00 limit is:

1. Ben Wilson 8.50

2. Chris Widman 4.45

3. Nathan Stoneman 6.98 / Brendan Johnson 6.21

4. Ben Hopwood 5.83

5. James Cockle 7.35

6. Layne Cupitt 3.00

7. Tyler Govier 3.30 / Kelsey Dugard 4.28

39.41 / 39.62

There's 2 permutations in case Stoneman goes to Mildenhall or Dugard to Eastbourne.

A team I'd like to see to a 38.00 limit is:

1. Ben Wilson 8.50

2. Chris Widman 4.45

3. Ben Hopwood 5.83

4. Kelsey Dugard 4.28

5. James Cockle 7.35

6. Charley Powell 4.05

7. Layne Cupitt 3.00

Cupitt should be a shoe in.

Of those signed, Wilson dropped a point off his average last season but there's a world of difference between riding for Isle of Wight and riding for Stoke (getting paid for a start) so there's every chance of him going back up. I am not a big fan of Cockle - gives up far too easily if he doesn't gate - but he's hugely popular there. Widman is a good signing and could well improve.

I'd be looking closely at Hopwood, too. I know he loves riding on the Island and on that average he's a bargain.

I'd also like to see Dugard get another go. Twice the rider he was at Eastbourne, again because of how things are at Smallbrook.

Stoneman is a gamble on 7.00 - a big one. Smashed Coventry apart but never got near Smith & Parkinson-Blackburn (who have similar averages).

Tyler Govier was a little unlucky but I can see him going to Plymouth.

• Like 1

I doubt Stoneman would be back with Mildenhall if I'm honest.Would be surprised if he doesn't return to the IOW

Edited by adz_mft

I don't get this obsession with Cuppitt, he must have been around for what, three years now? And he's probably only scored double figures in one or two meetings probably.

I don't get this obsession with Cuppitt, he must have been around for what, three years now? And he's probably only scored double figures in one or two meetings probably.

Taking only scores for the Warriors, Cupitt averaged 4.16 last season and 4.90 including bonus points. That's called progression from his previous scoring.

He was a different rider - as others have been - at Isle of Wight and was very popular there. As Islander has pointed out, he's a 3.00 rider who averaged a point higher.

Taken together, that's definitely worth a team place.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Taking only scores for the Warriors, Cupitt averaged 4.16 last season and 4.90 including bonus points. That's called progression from his previous scoring.

How many meetings did he do for the Warriors? Can't imagine it was that many.

How many meetings did he do for the Warriors? Can't imagine it was that many.

It was 11. So a decent amount for an average.

Did anyone read the article in Speedy Star regarding young Warrior Callum Gouldbourne ?

Quite fantastic and absolutely typical of the Isle of Wight promotion's attitude and care towards paying customers.

I pose the question again : if they can treat everyone in such a superb way, why the bloody hell can't everyone else ?

• Like 2

Greaves & Govier signed. That leaves 7.04 for 2 riders and I hope Cupitt is back and the best rider on 4.04 or below is Harris imo. He's a rider on the up as well! It's just unfortunate that Stoneman won't be back.

Greaves & Govier signed. That leaves 7.04 for 2 riders and I hope Cupitt is back and the best rider on 4.04 or below is Harris imo. He's a rider on the up as well! It's just unfortunate that Stoneman won't be back.

Greaves is a very good signing but i didn't expect the Govier signing to be repeated. Looks like no room for Dugard or Stoneman and the latter may struggle on a higher average?

Cupitt would make a decent reserve signing but Harris would have to go into the side at number 4 which could make life difficult.

is this luke harris who was at eastbourne last season ? if so i found him a bit of a strange one , i have no facts & figures but from memory he was thrown into the No 2 spot and was brillant scoring 3/4's but didn't do that well when dropping to reserve.

Greaves is a very good signing but i didn't expect the Govier signing to be repeated. Looks like no room for Dugard or Stoneman and the latter may struggle on a higher average?

Cupitt would make a decent reserve signing but Harris would have to go into the side at number 4 which could make life difficult.

I hope Stoneman gets fixed up because he showed very good potential last season and in his first stint in the sport before his serious injury.

is this luke harris who was at eastbourne last season ? if so i found him a bit of a strange one , i have no facts & figures but from memory he was thrown into the No 2 spot and was brillant scoring 3/4's but didn't do that well when dropping to reserve.

Yeah it is. His home and away averages weren't too dissimilar either. Plus he's a grasstracker too so a big circuit might suit him better than Eastbourne did.

I hope Stoneman gets fixed up because he showed very good potential last season and in his first stint in the sport before his serious injury.

Yeah it is. His home and away averages weren't too dissimilar either. Plus he's a grasstracker too so a big circuit might suit him better than Eastbourne did.

Stoneman was excellent on his return last year. Raced unselfishly for IOW and upped his average considerably.

Im yet to be convinced about Harris, he strikes me more of a gate and hold a line type of rider. Its a pity about the fine margins as for 0.01 more Dwyer or Powell could have been options.

What about last years number 8?