British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

He's probably on a three because the last time he rode in the league for Sittingbourne he didn't do very well.

Thought he was going to be a very good rider when he first came through at Rye in 2004/5 and had a PL outing or two. Chances were hard to come by though as during those seasons the likes of Tommy Allen, Steve Boxall, Joel Parsons, Luke Bowen and Barry Burchatt were also on the scene.

Should put a point on a three point average, if not more.

Good luck to Harland Cook he will be a great job .

I am surprised. So far there has been no mention of Bryn Williams, a man who did so much to help IoW.

There a press statment

The great man has a thread in his memory on General discussions.

I should imagine people are commenting there rather than for every club he has worked.

Hi guys, as greg, pitstop and Islander15 have said, Bryn's passing has been acknowledged throughout the speedway world on nearly every platform, such is the impact Bryn had in the sport and as a person. As a club, the Warriors are currently in discussions for a fitting tribute to Bryn, as soon as there is more news on this I will post it up on here.

For those that don't follow the Warriors on Facebook, below is a few words by Barry Bishop

"I have been contemplating what to write about Bryn Williams all day, while working on the Smallbrook track with the rest of the track team. I have to say that Bryn has been on my mind all day while we removed the bend 4 camber, sorted the home straight and took down the back straight safety fence ready for replacement .... and then It dawned on me that while thinking what to write about Bryn I was really doing his bidding, what he would have wanted me to do and to continue to work to make Smallbrook the best it can be for the island and beyond.

Bryn really was Mr. Speedway - he did it all. Even though he loved every level of speedway I believe his passion was always grass roots speedway. He was always at the Southern Track Meetings commentating and when I did the worlds First Ladies only speedway school there was no one other than Bryn who I wanted to send out reassuring and informed commentary over the tannoy system at Iwade on that amazing day.

Behind the scenes here at Smallbrook he travelled each week with Chris and took on a variety of roles including press officer, programme contributor and track announcer. With his own personal style he brought considerable knowledge, comedy and enthusiasm to our show.

Bryn was stubbornly passionate about speedway but he was a selfless warrior to the sport and he was indeed a knowledge bank and stato for each and every rider.

He loved the Isle of Wight and was first in the queue at our fans forums when we decided to consider bringing speedway back and Bryn always offered advice and caution when he felt it necessary.

I shall miss you Bryn, not only for your speedway knowledge, written word or presentation skills, but because you were one of the nicest and most decent people, not only in speedway but on the planet. A dedicated believer in positivity and not only what speedway is today but what it can be tomorrow.

God's speed my friend. Until we meet again."

• Like 4

So with the turn of the year upon us, another season been and gone and with the 2017 in the near future, what are your thoughts regarding the Warriors going into the new season?

With the launch of the new Warriors Website, 6 riders signed for the team, 3 of which are new to the club. Major track work currently being completed along with fence repairs etc. Great new and current sponsors aboard for 2017.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

So with the turn of the year upon us, another season been and gone and with the 2017 in the near future, what are your thoughts regarding the Warriors going into the new season?

With the launch of the new Warriors Website, 6 riders signed for the team, 3 of which are new to the club. Major track work currently being completed along with fence repairs etc. Great new and current sponsors aboard for 2017.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

Warriors had a very big 2016 but that was more off track than on it (although the racing was still pretty good). With a better team line up, an improved track, updated logo:and new website I think things are set fair for them to hit even higher standards in 2017.

I hope that pulls in some big attendances. No other club in Britain deserves it more and every other club could learn a few lessons from them.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

I think that going for a grass-tracker like Harland is a good move.

:lol:

Relive the birth of the Warriors, and follow our journey in the Warrior Way from the start, through 2016 and beyond!

The Wightlink Warriors with Speedwayportal.com have launched a new section on the Wightlink Warriors official media channel where fans can relive the whole of 2016 from the start. The Wightlink Warriors media channel already provide a wealth of information about the club such as sponsors, riders, My First Skid, Interviews, behind the scenes and Isle of Wight attractions and is designed to complement and interact with the Warriors Website.

Andy Hague from Speedwayportal.com said "The team are constantly contemplating and implementing new ideas to bring the Warriors front and centre with their media channel and online presence. We strive to do all we can to use the most important platform, the world wide web, to bring the fans and sponsors as much footage as we are able to, and show the fans that are not able to attend the Warriors home meetings, the atmosphere and excitement that has been created on the Island with the Warrior Way.”

Barry Bishop Commercial Director of the Wightlink Warriors added "We know that our media channel on Speedwayportal.com proved a massive hit with fans and sponsors alike in 2016. The Warriors have an ever increasing presence online, be that from our website, media channel, media partners or sponsors that put the Wightlink Warriors on their websites and we know that this will pay huge dividends helping us to continue to spread the Warrior Way across the Island, UK and globe. We want to interact with as many people as we can and explain and show them about speedway, the Wightlink Warriors, the Warrior Way and the Isle of Wight. Speedway is exciting, thrilling and family fun and all our show windows need to portray this and Speedwayportal.com is leading the way. We know that we have to use every tool we can for marketing and we are not shy about being creative and innovative and targeting a particular age group with a different type of medium. I am confident all our fans will love the opportunity to review 2016 and the start of something wonderful as we prepare for 2017".

View the season here at www.speedwayportal.com/wight-warriors-home and choose our journey so far section or one of the other brilliant sections packed with the Warrior Way.

Just a few words of encouragement. I feel that the management at the IOW are doing a great job. I was really impressed with my visit last year with the Brummies, if I lived closer I would visit more regularly. If all goes to plan, I get the chance to maybe visit in the KOC as well. The team that the IOW has put together looks a good one, any good local rider (4.04) remaining, who would the IOW fans like to see?

• Like 1

For anyone who doesn't do BookFace

' The Warriors 100 club sales are going well.... have you joined in the fun yet?

OK from January 1st there will be a weekly draw for £100.

Players pick a number (maximum 3) between 1 and 100 and pay £5 per number every 4 weeks (65 per year). Players must sign up for a year.

80% of revenue goes to the prize fund and 20% to riders Fuel and Tyre fund.

The 100 club is administered by Tim Cale Colin Whitlock and Barry Bishop.

So, pick your numbers and sign up. Please email or call Colin for more details and to submit your numbers

Lost55@talktalk.net

Good Luck !!!!

• Like 1