British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

End Of Season Njl Report

NJL AVERAGES (2016 Season)

Joe Lawlor 11.64 Kieran Douglas 11.00 Kieran McCoy(aka Taylor) 10.53 Jordan Palin 10.40 Corban Pavitt 9.43 George Rothery 9.07 Chris Hay 8.89 James Hitchen 8.67 Mark McIlkenny 8.22

Jack Flynn 8.00 Jake Isherwood 8.00 Carl Basford 7.60 Harry McGurk 7.56 Josh Embleton 7.43

Archie Freeman 7.29 Kevin Whelan 6.90 Kean Dicken 6.67 Ryan Morris 6.67 Blair Smith 6.67

Dale Lamb 6.40 Sam McGurk 6.40 Lewis Millar 6.00 Bailey Fellows 5.67 Luke Harrison 5.33

Gavin Parr 5.29 Luke McKenna 4.67 David Morgan 4.00 Jack Wright 3.61 Elliot Kelly 3.41 Lloyd Ditchburn 3.08 Dale Pate 2.73 Andrew Blackburn 2.67 Sam Chapman 2.67 Kris Forster 2.67 Sheldon Davies 2.22 Gregor Millar 2.10 Alex Goldsbrough 2.07 William O’Keefe 2.00 Liam Little 0.67

(Compiled by Mike Moseley)

SNIPPETS:

Berwick occupied second place in the final league standings, having used eight different riders during their ten matches. Kevin Whelan boasts a 100% record, having lined up in every meeting.

His average of 6.90 puts him in fifth place in the Border Raiders charts behind Kieran Douglas, Corban Pavitt, Mark McIlkenny and Sam McGurk. He had the distiction of never finishing a race in last place at Shielfield Park.

Kieran Douglas looked set for a good campaign before suffering a season ending back injury at Buxton at the tail end of May.

Mark McIlkenny was their senior rider, having celebrated his 38th birthday mid-season, whilst the baby of the side was Luke Harrison aged a mere nine. Ironically, they both shared a birth date of the 15th June, albeit twenty-nine years apart

Halifax were based at Scunthorpe and were deserved league champions, not losing a match all season. Joe Lawlor led the way by example, with an 11.64 average, but close on his heels having ridden six meetings more, was Beverley born Jordan Palin, with an average of 10.40 The Yorkshire man, finished either first or second in twenty-nine of the thirty races he competed in.

Sam McGurk had the honour of being the highest bonus points scorer in the entire league, with eleven from his seventeen rides.

On the old and new front, Chris Hay weighed in as the oldest at twenty-eight, with Luke Harrison being nineteen years younger.

Newcastle managed to avoid the wooden spoon, despite only coming up trumps on two occasions. Ten meetings and seven different riders used, is a commendable record, especially as Archie Freeman and Jack Wright rode in the lot with Dale Pate missing just one . Of the three, Freeman led the pack on a 7.29 average. He is also the only rider to not have finished last in a race on Tyneside.

Experience for the ‘Gems’ came from Gavin Parr at the age of forty-four. Youngest member being star man Archie Freeman who was just twelve years old.

Northside used nine different riders during the course of their eight matches, with Corban Pavitt coming to the tapes in all eight of them. Proudly displaying a 9.83 CMA, he won fifteen out of his twenty-four races for the Cumbrian outfit. Gregor Millar only missed one meeting, but failed to win a race home or away, although always knocking on the door for that elusive victory.

As was the case with his appearances for Newcastle, Gavin Parr was the elder stateman for ‘The Stars’ whilst at the other end of the scale came twelve year old Gregor Millar.

Redcar have a record they would like to have not been associated with, as it reads ten meetings, ten defeats. The Teesside outfit boasted a stable side, with Carl Basford, Elliot Kelly & Alex Goldsbrough riding in nine out of the clubs ten meetings, and matched the feats of Newcastle in only aquiring the use of seven different riders throughout the campaign.

Riders capable of winning races was their stumbling block, with Car Basford and Bailey Fellows the only two, to do so.

As had been the case at Newcastle and Northside, the five meetings of Gavin Parr, made him the eldest rider to represent the club. The youngest member was 11-year old Alex Goldsbrough.

Workington have the unofficial unwanted record of having used more riders than anybody else, that being fourteen in total. Kieran McCoy who sometimes rides as Kieran Taylor, is making good strides forward in his career, achieving a 10.53 average for the ‘Meteors’ , putting him in third place in the overall Northern Junior League averages. He won every race he rode in away from home, and didn’t finish last in any heat this year. Biggest disappointment for the fans, was the fact that their two scheduled meetings against local rivals Northside, who are literally just a few minutes walk apart, failed to take place.

I guess it was inevitable that the name of Gavin Parr would have to pop up again, and he was the oldest rider to compete for the Cumbrian outfit. As was the case with both Berwick and Halifax, Luke Harrison made it a hat trick of appearances as the youngest representitive of a club, who won’t be ten until the middle of June next year.

• Like 4

I would like to point out that although the eldest rider to ride, which seems to get a mention more times than any other, I probably have the least experience of anyone. This report makes me out to be some old bloke just getting in the way. This was my very first season at the sport and age should just be a number. Surely if you have ambition at what ever age you are you should be given the chance to fulfill it. Its not as if Ive been riding for years and years. Im very grateful for those who saw past my age and could see how determined I am to give this a serious go.

I will know when the time is right to step back but hopefully after my first year on a bike i can progress as far as possible next season.

• Like 6

I'm sorry if what I wrote offended you in anyway Gavin, as that was never my intention nor would it ever be. So my humble apologies if that was the case.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if what I wrote offended you in anyway Gavin, as that was never my intention nor would it ever be. So my humble apologies if that was the case.

Mimmo you do a fantastic job with all the statistics and without people like yourself the leagues would not be as good as they are. I just hate the age thing as its just a number at the end of the day. Thanks for the reply and no need to apologise.

• Like 2

Mimmo you do a fantastic job with all the statistics and without people like yourself the leagues would not be as good as they are. I just hate the age thing as its just a number at the end of the day. Thanks for the reply and no need to apologise.

Cheers Gavin.

Happy Christmas to you and you family.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

Cheers Gavin.

Happy Christmas to you and you family.

Regards

Mike

and the same to you Mike. Hopefully meet up next season somewhere for a chat. Take care and keep up the great work.

Hi,

Could someone please tell me the address including post code of the Northside Stars training facility.

Thanks, David