British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

Can’t see a topic on the Kings for 2017 excuse the post if there is. With James Shanes riding for Poole and possibly a Championship club, plus Long Track and Grass Track will he have time to race NL speedway?

With the possibility of Danny Ayres doubling up to this could be a very difficult season with missing riders if both Ayres and Shanes ride for the Kings and are unavailable. Should the club look elsewhere to replace these riders?

Jack Thomas should improve no end in 2017 as should Ayres and Shanes whatever clubs they ride for. Of the rest of the 2016 team I doubt Luke Clifton will be back, Danno Verge had moments but did struggle on the fast pacey tracks. David Mason obviously still enjoys his speedway but will he want another season riding? Good to see Luke Bowen back for 2017, looked like he really enjoyed his speedway riding for the Kings and is an excellent number one to lead the Kings in 2017.

• Like 1

James and Danny won't fit unless you wanna run 3 x 3 pointers.

Think Clifton will return, and contrary to romours I hope either Danny or James stay, but I fear neither will return.

Poor old Danno may well be a victim of his own success with a very tricky average to fit it, same with Magic his average is just far too expensive, I know he is continuing next season but I suspect the club's that will be after him will have younger teams in need of experience.

Think Anders Rowe is a shoe in for one of the reserve berths, and with plenty of young unattached riders locally I hope we use one of those to complete the line up.

I pretty much agree with the above. I think as a standalone club it would be wise to look for riders that are riding in 1-2 leagues max that way it limits the amount of guests / RR needed along with reducing the risk of rider tiredness / injury.

My gut instinct is that Shanes will stay (based on his Silver Ski sponsorship) and Danny will join Cradley (if his shoulder is fixed in time).

i think Clifton will be at Kent or nowhere but im not sure he did enough to warrant another season?

Danno Verge will probably be the other casualty however if Lakeside run in the NL i fully expect to see him in that side.

My major fear is that with limited contacts for upcoming riders Kent will end up with the former Rye House bottom end and the season will be over before it starts.

As a team that im not overly excited about but would be alright

1. Bowen - 9.42

2. Clifton - 4.22

3. Mason - 6.54

4. Thomas - 5.83

5. M.Baseby - 7.73

6. 3 Pointer

7. 3 Pointer

Total - 39.74

Difficult to foresee the nature of the team build given the AGM is not until next week (13th). Points limit etc. Luke and Jack make a good start. Given the nature of the league I always feel that every Club should bring forward at least one newcomer (3 pointer). Yet some Clubs seem to bend that issue in order to maintain a low average for the following season for a rider of ability. I like the Upper Leagues AGM requirement regarding team building beyond mid-season. I would like to see a similar requirement for National League. Might slow some of the shenanigans of some teams, having the wherewithal to bend team building during the season, in order to create strength in depth mid to late season. I strongly feel that the league should be about fostering and teaching young lads, thus the need for at least one experienced rider for that purpose. Riding lines and tactics is one element, however, a more difficult issue is bike set-up as different riders have different styles and motors.

• Like 1

So we know Bowen and Thomas are back.

Looks as if Clifton will be back as far as I know.

Mason talking in todays SS, and sounds like he also will be back.

Verge is a doubt,we shall see.

So the question is will Shanes be back?

Cannot see Ayres returning and I see at the moment he is not in any Championship Club.

Interesting reading about Hopwood in the SS,he would be a good signing on his average for someone. :lol:

So we know Bowen and Thomas are back.

Looks as if Clifton will be back as far as I know.

Mason talking in todays SS, and sounds like he also will be back.

Verge is a doubt,we shall see.

So the question is will Shanes be back?

Cannot see Ayres returning and I see at the moment he is not in any Championship Club.

Interesting reading about Hopwood in the SS,he would be a good signing on his average for someone. :lol:

What does it say about Hopwood?

Sadly for Danny until he has his required shoulder op its a big risk signing him at any level if there are doubts over his readiness for the start of the season.

Id have 50p Verge is Lakeside bound. If Clifton & Mason both re-sign it starts to look like a dubious top 5 as it would point to a Mason being at 3 and Jack Thomas at 4 which doesn't look the strongest engine room.

With Hopwood on a 5.83 average i suspect he must have had offers from every team (except Stoke) and whoever gets him will have a major trump card.

Really can't see us signing Mason, lovely bloke but far too expensive an average which will go down this year.

My prediction is

Bowen

Clifton

Hopwood

Thomas

Shanes

Rowe

Bowdery

That will be as strong as anyone, and if either Anders or Kenny kick on it could be a very very strong side. Always felt after Luke and Jack were announced it was going to be a choice between Ayres and Shanes at 5 and Clifton and Verge at 2. With Mason always missing out.

Any team with a 48 point average at the end of the season is doing great to get 4 riders back the following season.

• Like 1

Definitely No Danny Ayres at Kent next year then. Eastbourne? Cradley?

No way would Danny ever be at Eastbourne, you would understand why if you see him against us as us fans can annoy him so easily as result of how he has acted many a time when riding against us

What makes u think no Danny ayres

It has been announced on kings facebook. I hope this does not mean no Shane's as well.

He might not start the season if he's injured. No championships club