British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

Why keep Bowen on a 9.4 when ayres and Shanes are capable of doing the same job on a point less???

Sounds like Shanes will not be back at Kent.

A real blow to Kings supporters that the big entertainers Danny and James will not return.

Where did you see/hear that? BIG shock if it turns out to be correct.

Why keep Bowen on a 9.4 when ayres and Shanes are capable of doing the same job on a point less???

Bowen is a big chunk of the team building averages but he is also more dependable than the other 2. I like them both but they are both prone to having a few off days which rarely happens with Bowen.

Where did you see/hear that? BIG shock if it turns out to be correct.

Bowen is a big chunk of the team building averages but he is also more dependable than the other 2. I like them both but they are both prone to having a few off days which rarely happens with Bowen.

Been told that if points limit was 40- Shane in, 39 out.

Signing Bowen early was a poor move.

Not having either Ayres or Shanes is a blow if you like entertaining,exciting Speedway ... IMHO.

• Like 4

Len Silver has always been a massive Bowen fan ,That is why they will have difficulty fitting in riders the fans want to see,,,

Been told that if points limit was 40- Shane in, 39 out.

Signing Bowen early was a poor move.

Not having either Ayres or Shanes is a blow if you like entertaining,exciting Speedway ... IMHO.

Shocker if that is true. If Hopwood is on the list then a genuine number 5 is a must and the amount of feasible / available signings are dropping rapidly. Stoneman or Bacon could do a good job but im not sure there are many others available.

Worse still is i could see other teams making changes to accommodate an available Shanes

Shocker if that is true. If Hopwood is on the list then a genuine number 5 is a must and the amount of feasible / available signings are dropping rapidly. Stoneman or Bacon could do a good job but im not sure there are many others available.

Worse still is i could see other teams making changes to accommodate an available Shanes

It is true.

I and other Kent followers get e-mail from the Club (len) with updates - so no secret.

Shanes is out.

The Club wanted Danny and James (only one was really possible ).

To end up with NEITHER is quite honestly - p**s poor.

Bacon would be good - young and rides Central Park well.

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

It is true.

I and other Kent followers get e-mail from the Club (len) with updates - so no secret.

Shanes is out.

The Club wanted Danny and James (only one was really possible ).

To end up with NEITHER is quite honestly - p**s poor.

Bacon would be good - young and rides Central Park well.

Sheer lunacy from Len. A side with Bowen, Thomas, Hopwood & Shanes would leave 9.35 for the remaining 3 positions. The two reserves are likely to be 3 pointers anyway so another at no.2 is no real hardship. There will still be several teams built this way like Mildenhall.

Unless Kent can pull out a big signing who will entertain and deliver its going to be a long year for the Kings.

• Like 1

No Shanes for 2017 - more than sheer lunacy from Len !!

Probably a big dip in attendances next year without the appearances of Shanes and Ayres.

Either Len is going to spring some massive suprises, or the points dropping has thrown our plans out the window.

But with only 2 riders officially announced its hard to make a judgement on what our team will look like and how competitive we may be.

I do agree Len is gonna take a hit on the gate, and a considerable one at that. Whilst us die hards will go even if we have five Adam Sheppards in the team, with both the showman gone, the casual fans and indeed the neutral fans are less likely to go racing in my opinion.

The one thing I said to some kent fans yesterday is that Len put his hand in his pocket to give us speedway in the county again, so even if he turns out a poor side we still owe him a debt of gratitude for giving us speedway in the first place.

• Like 1

For the last time...It never was Lens money...It was Roger Cearns money. ..and Roger who brought speedway to Central Park.

He spent years working with people to get speedway to Central Park before Len was even involved.

Either Len is going to spring some massive suprises, or the points dropping has thrown our plans out the window.

But with only 2 riders officially announced its hard to make a judgement on what our team will look like and how competitive we may be.

I do agree Len is gonna take a hit on the gate, and a considerable one at that. Whilst us die hards will go even if we have five Adam Sheppards in the team, with both the showman gone, the casual fans and indeed the neutral fans are less likely to go racing in my opinion.

The one thing I said to some kent fans yesterday is that Len put his hand in his pocket to give us speedway in the county again, so even if he turns out a poor side we still owe him a debt of gratitude for giving us speedway in the first place.

This is exactly why I maintain Kent Kings would be much better off with NO Mr Silver.

I expected Mr Silver to be around for 2 or 3 seasons.

Kent enter their 5th season and he is still influencing everything at the Club.

As Waco said,he wanted Bowen and because of that there is NO Shanes or Ayres.

I can see a struggle ahead for Kings.Hope I am wrong.

I am properly gutted about Danny and James, and frustrated.

But both are kent assets so perhaps the thinking was that as Luke is not an asset and would be harder to re sign at a later date. I really don't know, but just throwing that in as a possibility.

But going with who we have confirmed as signings already.

Luke Bowen is very expensive but you ll get one of the class performers in the league, who barring mechanicals he was barely beaten by an opponent. Because some of the top boys Ellis Clegg Morris to name a few, apear to be moving up he could be the man to beat this season.

And young Jack Thomas was a sensation last year and if it was not for the 2 jacks at Brum he would of got even more credit.

Now people may say he could struggle in the middle order, but he was beating heat leaders last year pretty regularly so hopefully he will continue to improve and be heat leader pretty quickly.

With no one else officially announced, we can only be happy about the riders we have so far. Hopefully others have been signed but nothing announced whilst numbers are juggled.

There are quality riders out there on very cheap averages but there others who whilst quality riders have averages to high to risk signing. So a lot will depend who we get.

Plenty of names being banded around, but some I ve heard who I d expect to increase thier averages significantly are the likes of

Kelsey Dugard,

Shane Hazleden,

Ben Hopwood, so any of them would be promising.

Had heard Dan Greenwood's name mentioned but Cradley struck gold there. Luke Clifton is the only king from 2016 who has not be confirmed as staying or going yet but on a 4.22 average there is some big potential growth there, and it can't be possible to get injured in other people's crashes so many times again. You think well over a decade out the sport and probably only 3 weeks actually fully fit and he still got an average of 4.22

Another one I ve heard is Stoneman but his average is a massive chunk and represents a big gamble, he could drop a point or he could add a couple.

Who ever we get will get our 100 percent support and we wish all the former kings all the best. (Just be kind when you come back to visit)