British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

Stoneman?

• Like 1

Plenty of time for speculation then. Personally im hoping for Jamie Halder or James Purchase to slot in nicely at reserve.

Hopwood?

Stoneman?

If its Halder or Purchase then both Hopwood + Stoneman would fit and the Kent side would be pretty near the points limit.

Reading updates last year Purchase seemed to spend a lot of time plodding around tlat the back.

I think Hopwood is nailed on, goes well round Kent...And if you get Stoneman you should be well pleased..Most of the rookie reserves will be a gamble/...

• Like 1

Stoneman?

Correct.

Stoneman in.

I think Hopwood is nailed on, goes well round Kent...And if you get Stoneman you should be well pleased..Most of the rookie reserves will be a gamble/...

Hope Stoneman proves a good edition.

He has been signed as a Heat leader,yet got his average from reserve.

Also has had a lot of injuries over the last few years.

But understand he has new equipment and keen to ride for the Kings.

Be interesting how he adapts to Central Park. :lol:

I think most sides would be pleased with the signing of Stoneman but there are obviously some concerns. His equipment clearly needs upgrading so hopefully the above is true & he will be starting at no.5 and featuring in some tough races which could ultimately make or break the Kings season. Fingers crossed he does deliver what he is capable of and supply some good back up to Bowen otherwise there will be huge weight on Thomas & Hopwood's shoulders.

I think most sides would be pleased with the signing of Stoneman but there are obviously some concerns. His equipment clearly needs upgrading so hopefully the above is true & he will be starting at no.5 and featuring in some tough races which could ultimately make or break the Kings season. Fingers crossed he does deliver what he is capable of and supply some good back up to Bowen otherwise there will be huge weight on Thomas & Hopwood's shoulders.

Personally I'd put Hopwood at number 5. He's easily a better rider than his average suggests having averaged 8 for Eastbourne only 2 seasons ago. He's spent most of his career riding at 5 for Stoke, Eastbourne & IOW anyway so is used to the tougher heats and he's already shown a liking to Central Park as an away rider. Contrast that to Stoneman who, despite the higher average and massive potential, rode nearly all of last season at reserve and isn't used to the pressure of being a heat leader and is moving to a completely new track.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

Certainly a tough decision. Id agree that Hopwood is far more experienced as a higher heat leader and will make a mockery of his starting average even starting at 5. However there is part of me that wants to see him in the number 3 jacket as i think he would be excellent for Jack Thomas' progression and would make a very effective middle order pairing.

Certainly a tough decision. Id agree that Hopwood is far more experienced as a higher heat leader and will make a mockery of his starting average even starting at 5. However there is part of me that wants to see him in the number 3 jacket as i think he would be excellent for Jack Thomas' progression and would make a very effective middle order pairing.

We all seem to agree Hopwood is a nailed on signing.

Do not know why the Club do not just announce the signing.

He will be a steal on his average.

The KEY signing now will be the other reserve.

Stoneman's average makes him a gamble. The Kings need him to maintain his starting figure and Hopwood to return to his usual 7-8 point average to stand any chance of success.

• Like 2

If you get a good last rider at reserve(although not really sure who's left who can do the job) and as looks likely Hopwood will be with you looks a pretty solid team.I think it will be the most difficult team in the league to know where they're likely to be . Last year looked likely title contenders from day one, this year like a few teams who knows. Hope it does all gel as apart from the first matches at Easter last year with all the injuries, had some really good matches home and away against Eastie.

Looking at Stonemans results last year I make him 6.2 so I must have missed something.

I have 34 from 23 rides at home and 28 from 17 rides away. His best home was 9 from 4 and away 16 from 6 both against Buxton who had a dire team out that day and got a real hammering. All bar 2 meetings were from reserve and a lot of very straight forward opponents.

Could it be the worst signing of the season?

Why on earth did they not keep James Shanes? with Bowen, Shanes, Thomas and presumably Hopwood they would have a top four to keep them in the top half running instead of which they are looking like a candidate for the wooden spoon.

With a track, Stadium and support like theirs the fans deserve better in my view.