British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

No Danny or James is a big loss to the crowd pulling power and "traxcitement" as Len used to call it. Don't think I could stomach the new el dropouts from Lakeside beating us at Central Park. Especially as they another of the former Kent Kings in Ben named at number one.

Looking like we are going to have a mediocre season in 2017 .. I just don't see who will deliver the backup to Luke?

• Like 1

No Danny or James is a big loss to the crowd pulling power and "traxcitement" as Len used to call it. Don't think I could stomach the new el dropouts from Lakeside beating us at Central Park. Especially as they another of the former Kent Kings in Ben named at number one.

Looking like we are going to have a mediocre season in 2017 .. I just don't see who will deliver the backup to Luke?

I think you need to wait and see here. I don't deny its quite incredible that both Shanes and Ayres have been dumped but I'll be surprised if the team isn't a decent one.

Stoneman is a major gamble on 7.00. Tore Coventry to bits but couldn't cope at all with Birmingham. The fact that the Warriors have left him out must say something.

Very disappointed Danny and James won't be riding for the kings this season and I am one of the neutrals that attend central park usually twice a month, will obviously wait and see what the full 1-7 will be but not looking good so far

Think Kent missed a trick really, what with the promise of elite league speedway last season, and what's happened at lakeside and rye house since then, I believe they should have tried for championship speedway this year at least

I know there are plenty of die hards that will go week in week out,fair play to them, but for me the Kent team gets worse every season and unless there are some surprise signings I think I will be spending more time watching Rye this season

• Like 2

Very disappointed Danny and James won't be riding for the kings this season and I am one of the neutrals that attend central park usually twice a month, will obviously wait and see what the full 1-7 will be but not looking good so far

Think Kent missed a trick really, what with the promise of elite league speedway last season, and what's happened at lakeside and rye house since then, I believe they should have tried for championship speedway this year at least

I know there are plenty of die hards that will go week in week out,fair play to them, but for me the Kent team gets worse every season and unless there are some surprise signings I think I will be spending more time watching Rye this season

You are very much like me.

2017 will be Kings 5th season and disappointed Club is still in the NL.

I went to a few meetings last season but for various reasons did not go to as many as I had done previous.

No secret I am no fan of Mr Silver,the way he goes about things,to much influence on team building etc etc.

The Stadium in ideal for Speedway and the Club have loyal support.

I know the curfew is still a problem,but the way things are going I cannot see myself going much again next year.

Shame the Club has stood still since the exciting opening in 2013.

Shocker if that is true. If Hopwood is on the list then a genuine number 5 is a must and the amount of feasible / available signings are dropping rapidly. Stoneman or Bacon could do a good job but im not sure there are many others available.

Worse still is i could see other teams making changes to accommodate an available Shanes

No Bacon for breakfast :o

Edited by AJ is King

I don't understand why keep Bowen? Kent surely could have built

Ayres

Clifton

Hopwood

Thomas

Shanes

I think that fits? And a good team too

Not exactly a surprise signing or one that is going to appease the Kings supporters after the loss of both Danny & James. It was pretty obvious that Luke was going to be at Kent or nowhere this season and whilst he will be a very solid rider if he can avoid getting beaten up with injuries again i still don't see him achieving much more than his average. I suspect most Kings would have preferred a lower averaged rider @ 2 if it meant Danny or James was included in the side.

• Like 2

Not exactly a surprise signing or one that is going to appease the Kings supporters after the loss of both Danny & James. It was pretty obvious that Luke was going to be at Kent or nowhere this season and whilst he will be a very solid rider if he can avoid getting beaten up with injuries again i still don't see him achieving much more than his average. I suspect most Kings would have preferred a lower averaged rider @ 2 if it meant Danny or James was included in the side.

I agree.

With Bowen signed and the 39 points limit,I get the impression the team will be thrown together,rather than built.

Who will be the two 3 pointers? And are there any out there that could make an impact like young Thomas?

Also Bowen will need support at top of team.

Is Hopwood still an option?

Who else is in the running.

• Like 1

I agree.

With Bowen signed and the 39 points limit,I get the impression the team will be thrown together,rather than built.

Who will be the two 3 pointers? And are there any out there that could make an impact like young Thomas?

Also Bowen will need support at top of team.

Is Hopwood still an option?

Who else is in the running.

Strikes me that there were issues early. Danny turned down before the close of the season as he wanted more time to consider his options for higher leagues, Len doesn't like being turned down so withdrew the offer which isn't the first time he has done that.

The first 2/3 signings were made before the agm and then finger off the pulse is surprised at the rule change.

Ayres or Shanes could have fitted with Bowen, Thomas & Hopwood plus 3 x 3 pointers but not if Clifton had been included already so Clifton in Shanes out!

Im pretty certain Hopwood is nailed on so it leaves 13.7 for the final 3. That means either 2 x 3 pointers & 7.7 for a heatleader.

Problem is Len can't pick a 3 pointer unless he falls in front of him and all the heat leaders around that average are gone so i suspect it could be tricky to even build near the points limit and remain competitive.

• Like 1

Strikes me that there were issues early. Danny turned down before the close of the season as he wanted more time to consider his options for higher leagues, Len doesn't like being turned down so withdrew the offer which isn't the first time he has done that.

The first 2/3 signings were made before the agm and then finger off the pulse is surprised at the rule change.

Ayres or Shanes could have fitted with Bowen, Thomas & Hopwood plus 3 x 3 pointers but not if Clifton had been included already so Clifton in Shanes out!

Im pretty certain Hopwood is nailed on so it leaves 13.7 for the final 3. That means either 2 x 3 pointers & 7.7 for a heatleader.

Problem is Len can't pick a 3 pointer unless he falls in front of him and all the heat leaders around that average are gone so i suspect it could be tricky to even build near the points limit and remain competitive.

What he should've done is waited until after the AGM, because it's clear the Bowen wouldn't have signed elsewhere anyway.

• Like 2

What he should've done is waited until after the AGM, because it's clear the Bowen wouldn't have signed elsewhere anyway.

Agreed or make provisional signings. Its been said if the limit was 40 Shanes in, 39 Shanes out. Surely that deal would have applied better to Clifton and include Shanes regardless?

• Like 1

Agreed or make provisional signings. Its been said if the limit was 40 Shanes in, 39 Shanes out. Surely that deal would have applied better to Clifton and include Shanes regardless?

Completely agree. Shanes gets fans through the door whereas Clifton doesn't, and they both have probably the same amount of average improvement potential.

• Like 1

Don`t be silly,that would be too sensible.

It is Mr Silvers way and no other !!!!

• Like 1