Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Little Thumper

Buxton 2017

There's nothing like a fake retirement and comeback to help the old self-publicity.

At least we can look forward to the return of our favourite single-paragraph ego-massaging press releases which remind us how the manager is far more important than any of the riders.

More 'Me's' and 'I's' per para man than anyone else in sport :nono:

We look forward to hearing about the latest recruit on Wednesday.

I do hope that it isn't anyone who was hoping for a change in management style at the club as the news that Friend Pipe is doing a Frank Sinatra might come as something of a disappointment!

2654266F00000578-0-image-a-78_1425534200

We await Wednesday's news with bated breath.

:party:

Edited by Little Thumper
  • Like 1

Buxton promised us a rider announcement scheduled at 8:30am today but we're still waiting.

Edited by Islander15

Its only tuesday, they said Wednesday didnt they????

Yes, I know we are all getting excited but I think the next sheep-rustler will be unveiled tomorrow (Wednesday).

Calm yourself Islander15..........only one more sleep!

Its only tuesday, they said Wednesday didnt they????

Yesterday (Monday) they said tomorrow morning

Yesterday (Monday) they said tomorrow morning

Ah yes!

I've had a peek at the Twatter page and it gives the impression that there would have been an announcement today, so clearly Islander15 hasn't lost all his marbles just yet!

Perhaps Friend Pipe has scared away the new recruit?

• Like 1

So all is revealed!

The latest addition to Friend Pipe's equipe is...........................................Lee Geary.

Lee made some good progress last year and I think that, given the right support and mentoring, he can develop nicely this year.

Plus he comes across as a decent, well-spoken, hard-working kind of guy and that gets a few plus points in my book.

Hooray!

Edited by Little Thumper
  • Like 2

So all is revealed!

The latest addition to Friend Pipe's equipe is...........................................Lee Geary.

Lee made some good progress last year and I think that, given the right support and mentoring, he can develop nicely this year.

Plus he comes across as a decent, well-spoken, hard-working kind of guy and that gets a few plus points in my book.

Hooray!

I have to admit that i thought Lee might get snapped up elsewhere. Good rider with good equipment and solid foundations in speedway technique which other newer riders lack. Could easily put 2 points on his average if he hits a decent run of form.

• Like 1

I have to admit that i thought Lee might get snapped up elsewhere. Good rider with good equipment and solid foundations in speedway technique which other newer riders lack. Could easily put 2 points on his average if he hits a decent run of form.

For the first 70% of last season. you could see that Lee had a grasp of the basic speedway techniques and was very enthusiastic but had little flair and was out of his depth when needing to move off his safe line.

Towards the end of the year, as his confidence grew, he was able to develop as a racer and experiment with his lines.

I do hope he gets some good support at Buxton and it's a great shame that there isn't a Tony Atkin type of mentor there, as developing riders can gain so much confidence and knowledge from some of the elder statesmen of the sport.

Give it Large!

• Like 1

it's a great shame that there isn't a Tony Atkin type of mentor there, as developing riders can gain so much confidence and knowledge from some of the elder statesmen of the sport.

To be fair, as a 34-year-old who has been riding 13 years, Lee is more one of the "elder statesmen" than a raw novice.

Notice the comments on the press release are all from Jayne Moss.

Looks like this signing was made by Jayne after bossman Pipe went off on his hiatus when his choice of reserves Burton & Wallinger were poached elsewhere.

• Like 1

To be fair, as a 34-year-old who has been riding 13 years, Lee is more one of the "elder statesmen" than a raw novice.

Notice the comments on the press release are all from Jayne Moss.

Looks like this signing was made by Jayne after bossman Pipe went off on his hiatus when his choice of reserves Burton & Wallinger were poached elsewhere.

John Leslie, you are indeed an astute and knowledgeable contributor and perhaps indeed Lee was approached whilst Friend Pipe had gone walkabouts and was signed by the Moss family rather than Monologue Man. But it is what it is.

Yes, I am aware that Lee has been around for some years in the junior leagues but as we well know, there is a world of difference between junior league racing and the rather more serious business of the National League.

So he might be a slightly more mature novice than some of the young whippersnappers that appear but in terms of serious racing, I still regard him very much as a novice and I stand by my comment that the majority of riders in NL can learn something from a Tony Atkin type character.

I wish Lee well in 2017.

• Like 1

John Leslie, you are indeed an astute and knowledgeable contributor and perhaps indeed Lee was approached whilst Friend Pipe had gone walkabouts and was signed by the Moss family rather than Monologue Man. But it is what it is.

Yes, I am aware that Lee has been around for some years in the junior leagues but as we well know, there is a world of difference between junior league racing and the rather more serious business of the National League.

So he might be a slightly more mature novice than some of the young whippersnappers that appear but in terms of serious racing, I still regard him very much as a novice and I stand by my comment that the majority of riders in NL can learn something from a Tony Atkin type character.

I wish Lee well in 2017.

Not knocking Lee in any way.

I do most of my watching around the Midland tracks so I've seen a lot of Lee over the years and he's a good lad. He's one that will always help out team-mates.

The NL can't all be full of promising 15-year-old newbies. The league needs its share of Lees. (He's no older than Pipe's first choice David Wallinger anyway)

• Like 3

Buxton actually said that they'd continue team building when Pipe initially quit. So it's clearly a Moss signing, so I wonder how long Pioe keeps him in the team.