British Speedway Forum

You are absolutely right Phil - far from cut and paste. Good value too and generally written by informed, enthusiastic people.

What follows is a minor gripe and I note you are not involved in the day-to-day but please have a word in the ear of the designers about too much white type on a black background.

It is hard to read huge chunks (sometimes in the past pages) of that, especially for the elderly! And we do know the speedway audience is ageing. Black type on a white background has worked well for a few years!

And having had my gripe, tell the editor, his sidekick and their reporters to keep up the good work.

• Like 4

The Star is very good for a weekly magazine.Every journalist is entitled to give their view of situations that occur in the sport whether readers agree or not ,it's all about opinions.Constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable I'm sure,but to call the Magazine crap is uncalled for IMO.Still enjoy reading it,keep up the good work.

Ps

I disagreed with its reporting on the Hancock situation recently,but it's all about opinions.

Edited by Fromafar

I for one love it. Still a great read. It would be missed if it was not here. Like Richard Watson said, cut back on the black background with white type set, I think I have commented on that before!

• Like 1

I agree that the choice of an ink colour on a colour background sometimes make it difficult to read but suspect that 'onscreen' it probably looked fine it became less visible when transferred to print form.

May I take this opportunity to offer my best wishes to longtime South West correspondent and track announcer over the years at Trelawny, Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Newport and. I think Swindon, Graham Hambly who is currently recovering in Derriford Hospital Plymouth from an unexpected medical problem, GET WELL SOON mate.

• Like 1

i think its fine - it may be that to reduce costs all round the SS could be produced more like a newspaper than a magazine. Wouldn't bother me to lose the gloss.

Also heed should be paid to the success of retro - maybe more retro articles?

I find the Magazine quite pricey for what you get.

Not a good buy for me I'm afraid.

i think its fine - it may be that to reduce costs all round the SS could be produced more like a newspaper than a magazine. Wouldn't bother me to lose the gloss.

Also heed should be paid to the success of retro - maybe more retro articles?

I don't agree. Speedway Star is a current Magazine - the Retro Speedway scene is already more than adequately filled by 'BackTrack'and 'Classic Speedway' Magazines.

I would not expect 'BackTrack' or 'Classic Speedway' to get involved in current Speedway - it would probably put me off buying it. Likewise I believe Speedway Star should stick to it's job of reporting on current Speedway events and happenings.

I certainly would not want them to go in to competition with each other.

I think it is an almost excellent magazine with just a little too much of days gone by. Please stick to more current affairs as I am sure there is plenty of news out there, although it must be a touch difficult during the close season. Why not some reasonably comprehensive articles on our young riders who look as though they might have a speedway future. How did they get into speedway and what do they think it needs to get it more into the public domain for a start. Perhaps, with all due respect, us old codgers have just too much influence on what passes as speedway news.

I find the Magazine quite pricey for what you get.

Not a good buy for me I'm afraid.

I don't agree. Speedway Star is a current Magazine - the Retro Speedway scene is already more than adequately filled by 'BackTrack'and 'Classic Speedway' Magazines.

I would not expect 'BackTrack' or 'Classic Speedway' to get involved in current Speedway - it would probably put me off buying it. Likewise I believe Speedway Star should stick to it's job of reporting on current Speedway events and happenings.

I certainly would not want them to go in to competition with each other.

I still like the speedway star but my ONLY gripe is to please go back to having only one main picture on the front cover.

Ive always enjoyed the SS and have again just renewed my subscription. I find it up to date with current news and in the winter months it features some superb articles from yesteryear. All in all I find it a good read at a reasonable price and always look forward to it popping through the letterbox every Thursday.

• Like 3

I think it is an almost excellent magazine with just a little too much of days gone by. Please stick to more current affairs as I am sure there is plenty of news out there, although it must be a touch difficult during the close season. Why not some reasonably comprehensive articles on our young riders who look as though they might have a speedway future. How did they get into speedway and what do they think it needs to get it more into the public domain for a start. Perhaps, with all due respect, us old codgers have just too much influence on what passes as speedway news.

Because it is mainly 'Old Codgers' who go to Speedway these days. :sad: :sad:

Speedway Star is a great magazine for such a small sport. I also used to have the Ace magazine which covered Tennis all over the world. Sadly as it was not profitable and ceased about 5 years ago.So Speedway is such a lucky sport to have such a magazine

• Like 3

Speedway Star is a great magazine for such a small sport. I also used to have the Ace magazine which covered Tennis all over the world. Sadly as it was not profitable and ceased about 5 years ago.So Speedway is such a lucky sport to have such a magazine

I agree with that actually.

That does not though, make it immune from criticism.

It is very professional in appearance. The two biggest problems are that 1= I'ts always going to be a week out of date and 2= It isn't quite as crusading as some would like. Others will undoubtedly disagree with my reservations and it is their right to hold whatever opinions they might have. With so many internet sources of information, I find myself buying it less and less, and not really missing it when I don't.