British Speedway Forum

If we lost the Star it would be the demise of Speedway in the UK so buy it while we have it.

Speedway Star holds a place in my heart.

As a kid I would run home from school on a Thursday afternoon, and rush through the door to get my grubby mitts all over it.

I was gutted if it was ever a day late...I would cycle up to the Newsagents just to see if it had been delivered late and the paper boy had missed it.

Used to read it from cover to cover. Was overjoyed if a favourite rider was featured. Would go through the league tables and averages religiously.

Back in those days it was the only way of getting news. Nowadays it's just a click away on the Internet.

I still buy it occasionally...but never read it cover to cover like I used too.

Maybe it's me...but I really don't like overly fussy presentation. Clean, neat and simple is my preference.

It's a bit like Bike covers emblazoned with different colours and sponsors logos...you either love it or hate it.

Front and back cover for me....should just have one photograph, Speedway Star as a heading and the price...nothing else...just clean and classy.

Edited by Gresham
  • Like 6

If we lost the Star it would be the demise of Speedway in the UK so buy it while we have it.

Not at that Price.

Print it along the lines of 'Motorcycle News' and reduce the Price accordingly and I would agree with you.

As a kid I would run home from school on a Thursday afternoon, and rush through the door to get my grubby mitts all over it.

I was gutted if it was ever a day late...I would cycle up to the Newsagents just to see if it had been delivered late and the paper boy had missed it.

Used to read it from cover to cover. Was overjoyed if a favourite rider was featured. Would go through the league tables and averages religiously.

Back in those days it was the only way of getting news. Nowadays it's just a click away on the Internet.

Maybe it's me...but I really don't like overly fussy presentation. Clean, neat and simple is my preference.

It's a bit like Bike covers emblazoned with different colours and sponsors logos...you either love it or hate it.

Front and back cover for me....should just have one photograph, Speedway Star as a heading and the price...nothing else...just clean and classy.

I can concur with all of the highlighted section of your Post.

I used to read it from cover to cover too. When I buy it now - I am very selective in what I read and then it is straight in to the bin.

• Like 1

It would probably be the demise of Starman2006 as well. Perish the thought. :lol:

• Like 5

Seems to me that the SS is far from "frank, fearless and free" from vested interest and has included very little of fan's response to the BSPA re-vamp, which seems from what I read here, to have been pointless. No-one outside the sport will have noticed, so hordes of new, younger fans will not be clogging the turnstiles at any tracks. Every idea introduced has been tried before and failed ( or just quietly dropped when it didn't succeed ) Sticking a new name badge on will do nothing to address the basic problems of the sport. The SS should be having a fan's "referendum" at least twice a year in order to encourage true feedback from fans about what could / should be done or tried.

• Like 2

Not at that Price.

Print it along the lines of 'Motorcycle News' and reduce the Price accordingly and I would agree with you.

I can concur with all of the highlighted section of your Post.

I used to read it from cover to cover too. When I buy it now - I am very selective in what I read and then it is straight in to the bin.

Think you will find there is not a lot of difference in the price of MCN and Star,£117 for annual sub for MCN.Not sure of weekly cost these days.

My weekly favourite now for 40 years and still have every issue since 1964. Keep it going.

My only gripes are why no complete team by team full stat averages of NL since July? And none of either top two leagues in full at end of season. And the same adverts on the back all the time.

Edited by Sniffy

Just renewed my subscription for a further year. For the price, I consider it very good value and enjoy the read each week but I have to say I agree wholeheartedly on the white print on dark background. I have perfectly good eyesight but that is hard to read (probably looks really good on a screen but it does not on paper!). Keep up the good work and try not to take too seriously the professional moaners that the forum suffers from on a too regular basis.

• Like 4

Think you will find there is not a lot of difference in the price of MCN and Star,£117 for annual sub for MCN.Not sure of weekly cost these days.

I said "along the lines of MCN". There would not be enough material to have a Paper as thick as that for Speedway. The Speedway Star is too glossy and just too expensive for a Sport that is shrinking in support Season on Season.

Just an opinion - but mine is as valid as anyone else's.

I download it on my ipad every week and still love to read it. What is the actual circulation these days?

I said "along the lines of MCN". There would not be enough material to have a Paper as thick as that for Speedway. The Speedway Star is too glossy and just too expensive for a Sport that is shrinking in support Season on Season.

Just an opinion - but mine is as valid as anyone else's.

Of course your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Mine is too - and for the record I think you are a miserable, tight-fisted old moaner. £2.90 is a steal for what Speedway Star offer on a weekly basis.

• Like 3

I continue to look forward to it dropping through my letter box every Thursday. I read it cover to cover (except for the grasstrack pages)

Same here, though I pay more attention to the Grasstrack section when speedway riders are competing. I subscribe, and pay for it myself, but the 'Star is stonking value at £2.17ish per copy when one 'subs'. Still cheaper than the vast majority of A5 proggies, even at full £2.90 cover price. If you don't like it, don't buy, but it's a great mag....

• Like 2

I must be old I always looked forward to Wednesday's or Thursday's on a Bank Hol week
  • Like 1

EVER since I joined this forum, initially to put right some misinformation being peddled about the actual ownership of Speedway Star, I have willing accepted criticism of the magazine. Everyone has a right to criticise although on occasions I do wonder whether those doing so have actually read or seen SS for sometime.

It irks me when people on the bsf say we are in hoc to the BSPA or simply cut and paste press realises. Neither is true.

But what particular disappoints is when people, as one did recently, call Speedway Star "crap."

That is more often than not balanced by others, including members of the general media, who are amazed how we manage to put together such a good weekly publication for such a small audience and with limited resources.

I am no longer involved with the day-to-day running of the mag and nor with its content but I am very proud of those who are.

This week for example SS includes:

POOLE may have been the all-conquering team of the Elite League era, but it wasn’t always so. In the first 46 years of the Pirates’ existence, they managed only one league title triumph – back in the formative years of the British League in 1969. In this week’s Speedway Star, we track down the surviving members of that Poole side in a fascinating seven-page feature. Returning to more modern times, we also talk to up-and-coming teenager Kyle Bickley about a big year ahead for the Cumbrian kid, plus interviews with the retiring Simon Stead and Jake Knight, new Plymouth promoters Laurence Rogers and Mark Phillips talk about their plans for the Devils, and for Scunthorpe supporters, it’s their side’s 2016 track review, which doesn’t always make the happiest of reading for Scorpions fans!

Cut and paste? I think not.

​Sorry Philip, that statement is totally incorrect!

The first 46 years, 1948-1994...

1951 Div3 Champions

1952 Div2 Champions

1955 National League Champions

1961 Provincial League Champions

1962 Provincial League Champions

1969 BL Div1 Champions

1989 NL Champions

1990 NL Champions

1994 BL Div1 Champions

Only one ever League title in 46 years?

Time to check with Tony Mac, me thinks! :wink: