British Speedway Forum

Grand Central raised an interesting point. Unlike most publications, we rarely see any input from the editor Richard Clark. It would be nice to see the SS deliver praise and credit where justified and also cast a critical eye when there is a telling need to do so.

Notable examples where the SS should have raised it game are the new Swindon stadia and the situations at Belle Vue and Leicester.

Edited by Guest

Like so many here I have been a weekly purchaser of the Star for my whole life.

And for the last several years an online subscriber to the Exact editions e format.

I offer no criticism of pricing or coverage.

I certainly would never use the term 'crap'.

It is a very pretty production and Speedway can expect no better.

My 'beef' has always been over it's weak-livered editorial policy.

On the whole, I actually think that Philip Rising (personally) does have the balls to give his honest view, when he chooses to exercise it.

And when he does express a view I am happy to disagree with it, whilst appreciating his right to differ.

Unfortunately the actual Editor - a Mr Clark I believe- seems to be devoid of any descernible opinion himself.

But is happy to give full vent to the very narrow and restricted Burbidge-view of the Speedway world.

Which is a pity.

The Star's greatest failings IN MY VIEW have related to some of the biggest issues of the past few years.

And it's very weak attitude towards them.

Darcy Ward and the p!ssed up dehydration fiasco.

BSI and it's "varied" record of performance (think Warsaw 2015) and Gelsenkirchen/Gothenburg and Cardiff before.

Greg Hancock and the race fixing 'clutch' fiasco.

Belle Vue and the hagiography of Gordon and Morton.

All have represented very great lows in the life of the Star.

It would not have cost a penny more than the good value £2.90 to have just done better with journalistic and editorial content.

That pretty much sums up my view, too and is indeed why I don't very often buy it. I fully accept Phil's view that it isn't a BSPA mouthpiece but I can see why there are those who think it is.

You simply can't claim to be fully credible if you completely duck or ignore the abuses that exist within the sport, and the Star does that far too often.

• Like 5

A great read every week, have been reading the magazine since the late seventies either as a hand down , newsagent subscription or postal issue for the last 15 yrs or so.

Keep up the good work, have to agree with the hard to read type on black background though.....oh my copy is late again!

• Like 1

My 'beef' has always been over it's weak-livered editorial policy.

On the whole, I actually think that Philip Rising (personally) does have the balls to give his honest view, when he chooses to exercise it.

And when he does express a view I am happy to disagree with it, whilst appreciating his right to differ.

Unfortunately the actual Editor - a Mr Clark I believe- seems to be devoid of any descernible opinion himself.

But is happy to give full vent to the very narrow and restricted Burbidge-view of the Speedway world.

Which is a pity.

The Star's greatest failings IN MY VIEW have related to some of the biggest issues of the past few years.

And it's very weak attitude towards them.

Darcy Ward and the p!ssed up dehydration fiasco.

BSI and it's "varied" record of performance (think Warsaw 2015) and Gelsenkirchen/Gothenburg and Cardiff before.

Greg Hancock and the race fixing 'clutch' fiasco.

Belle Vue and the hagiography of Gordon and Morton.

All have represented very great lows in the life of the Star.

It would not have cost a penny more than the good value £2.90 to have just done better with journalistic and editorial content.

I have said that for years and is another reason it is not value for money.

PETER Oakes's new feature is a great read and a fabulous addition to SS ... Peter, as befits a top journalist with his track record, has a terrific eye for a story.

Thanks for all the comments. Cannot please all of the people all of the time.

As for the cost ... if we sold a few thousand more we could afford a cheaper cover price. Unfortunately in a market that has diminished dramatically in recent years that simply isn't a viable option.

Thank you for that reply Philip. I can actually see where you are coming from there but I still feel the Magazine is overpriced at the moment.

If you want from it what is in it you will love it.

If you don't you won't

Having refound speedway, are you going to agree or accept anything within the sport. Que concrete starts, coloured leathers, etc.

I have excepted that speedway is full of grumpy old men with a chip on their shoulder if anyone dare cross them. That the majority of them think they know it all because they've been some bit part player in the past.

I also except that I like watching the racing...but not the politics, bullrubbish and grumpy old hangers on.

Too many people looking to start arguments for the sake of it. That's what boredom and old age does to you...too much time on your hands mate.

I wouldn't claim to know what budget Speedway Star operates from, but given the profile of the sport in the country now, I think that as fans we are lucky to have such a magazine published weekly.

I seem to recall Philippe claiming a circulation of 18,000 a few years ago. I'd be surprised if that's increased and may well be lower now. Given a high percentage of readers are also claimed to be subscribers, you could maybe assume GBP 2.04 minus 20% VAT x 18,000 x 52 weeks = GBP 1.6 million or so in revenue per year. There's probably also some advertising to throw in, plus programme publishing.

I think the price of the Spar is reasonable considering it's covering a niche sport, but I think the demographics of the readership would have to be a worry for the future. As a journal of record it's reasonably fine (although not without inaccuracies), but it's never going to compete for timeliness in the Internet age so really needs to add value in terms of colour pieces and critical analysis.

Okay, I think most people would accept that given its position as the solitary journal with probably something of a precarious existence, it can't afford to be the National Enquirer. However, it's ultimately not really serving the sport by glossing over things that should absolutely be called out when they damage the sport's standing and reputation (such as it is anyway). It doesn't need to be repeated what we're talking about, but the journalism hasn't really been very objective or rigorous.

This said, I do think there have been some improvements since Philippe decided to engage with the Internet, despite the on going slating of it within the pages of the magazine. It seems less of a regurgitation of press releases than in the past, and there are actually times when the Spar does publish some interesting articles.

I can personally take or leave the ramblings of some of the more popular interviewees, which often seem lazily put together articles, but I suppose there's always room for comedy pieces...

I do also wish that seemingly every letter wasn't prefixed by "I've been watching speedway since the 19xx". It just makes the magazine seem like the Oldie.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Grand Central raised an interesting point. Unlike most publications, we rarely see any input from the editor Richard Clark. It would be nice to see the SS deliver praise and credit where justified and also cast a critical eye when there is a telling need to do so.

Notable examples where the SS should have raised it game are the new Swindon stadia and the situations at Belle Vue and Leicester.

The Swindon stadium yes, but its hardly the time to summarise anything with BV or Leicester, whilst they are still being resurrected. i think Philip has said all will come out about the happenings at BV, and rightly so.

I seem to recall Philippe claiming a circulation of 18,000 a few years ago. I'd be surprised if that's increased and may well be lower now. Given a high percentage of readers are also claimed to be subscribers, you could maybe assume GBP 2.04 minus 20% VAT x 18,000 x 52 weeks = GBP 1.6 million or so in revenue per year. There's probably also some advertising to throw in, plus programme publishing.

A LOT has happened in a few years and Speedway Star's current circulation reflects the attendances at British speedway which have diminished greatly in recent years. So, a lot less than 18,000 sadly.

We have also been badly hit by track sales ... haphazard fixtures, a meeting one week, not the next one or two, often results in punters getting out of the habit of attending speedway and subsequently not buying SS. Some make the effort to buy it elsewhere but many don't and are lost to the sport and us. We have no control over that.

Not sure why you have included VAT in your speculative figures. No VAT on magazines.

We receive approximately .56% of the cover price whichever way SS is sold. So, £1.62 from newsagents and around the same from sub copies after the deduction of postage or commission to Apple, etc.

And I must admit that I didn't realise that people sending letters to the Oldie prefix them with "I've been watching speedway since the 19xx." :neutral:

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

I have excepted that speedway is full of grumpy old men with a chip on their shoulder if anyone dare cross them. That the majority of them think they know it all because they've been some bit part player in the past.

I also except that I like watching the racing...but not the politics, bullrubbish and grumpy old hangers on.

Too many people looking to start arguments for the sake of it. That's what boredom and old age does to you...too much time on your hands mate.

A perfect description of ourself when any random idea that you push is doubted or not agreed with. I give you again your incredible idea and attempted justification for the introduction of concrete start pads. Vince summarised perfectly the technical issues with their use yet you refused to accept any of it being rather dismissive they we are not falling over ourselves to back your stupid idea.

As i said earlier, you are a typical case of someone who has come back to the sport and apparently enjoyed it, before then using your attendance to justify returning to it to something it used to be, albeit 50 years ago.

• Like 1

The Swindon stadium yes, but its hardly the time to summarise anything with BV or Leicester, whilst they are still being resurrected. i think Philip has said all will come out about the happenings at BV, and rightly so.

VERY true. We are still treading on thin ice regarding BV in particular and have, in fact, uncovered quite a web on contrasting standpoints and opinions and interpretation of what has actually occurred but once the time is right and without crossing some legal borders we will do our best to explain as much as we can.

A perfect description of ourself when any random idea that you push is doubted or not agreed with. I give you again your incredible idea and attempted justification for the introduction of concrete start pads. Vince summarised perfectly the technical issues with their use yet you refused to accept any of it being rather dismissive they we are not falling over ourselves to back your stupid idea.

As i said earlier, you are a typical case of someone who has come back to the sport and apparently enjoyed it, before then using your attendance to justify returning to it to something it used to be, albeit 50 years ago.

Wtf are you on about? Why bring up an old discussion that isn't relevant in this thread...unless you are looking to start an argument?

I refused to except 'technical' issues as I also have a background in working with concrete and steel. I just didn't agree with what was being said...perhaps you'd like to enlighten me with your knowledge. Have you worked in engineering or groundworks or have an understanding of concrete, steel or how a track is built from the ground up?

I started going to Speedway in the 70's and followed it all over the place, religiously to well into the 90's. Then I fell away for a few years and kept coming back every so many.

You see it one way...I see it another.

All I see from your angle, is someone who's been immersed in the sport for many years, got stuck in the bubble, and who can't see the wood for the trees. Someone who used to dabble...has a few acquaintance's in the sport, and sides with anyone who still has any supposed influence in the sport. Basically a nobody anymore, however well regarded for looking after a few juniors, which I respect, but knows deep down, as we all do, that the only thing you can influence now, is a few fuddy duddies on a speedway forum...Sad...but true.

Perhaps if you were to walk away from the Sport for a couple years, and take your head out of the ass of the likes of Phillip, poor bloke, then you might see that speedway isn't working.

It has nothing to do with concrete starts, or coloured leathers...more so the old idiots like yourself who have got set in their ways and think they know best. Well you might have many moons ago...but you've all pretty much feck*ed it up from then.

Care to continue? I could go on about the charges up in Newcastle...just push me.

Edited by Gresham

If you didnt know what speedway was, and found a copy of the SS in some random doctors waiting room, you would find it a very professional looking and informative magazine, and would never believe how the image you glean of the sport from the pages within would belie the actuality of how it is ran....

It does the sport more than justice in my opinion and speedway in this country is lucky to have such a well delivered publication showcasing its product..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 7

Wtf are you on about? Why bring up an old discussion that isn't relevant in this thread...unless you are looking to start an argument?

I refused to except 'technical' issues as I also have a background in working with concrete and steel. I just didn't agree with what was being said...perhaps you'd like to enlighten me with your knowledge. Have you worked in engineering or groundworks or have an understanding of concrete, steel or how a track is built from the ground up?

I started going to Speedway in the 70's and followed it all over the place, religiously to well into the 90's. Then I fell away for a few years and kept coming back every so many.

You see it one way...I see it another.

All I see from your angle, is someone who's been immersed in the sport for many years, got stuck in the bubble, and who can't see the wood for the trees. Someone who used to dabble...has a few acquaintance's in the sport, and sides with anyone who still has any supposed influence in the sport. Basically a nobody anymore, however well regarded for looking after a few juniors, which I respect, but knows deep down, as we all do, that the only thing you can influence now, is a few fuddy duddies on a speedway forum...Sad...but true.

Perhaps if you were to walk away from the Sport for a couple years, and take your head out of the ass of the likes of Phillip, poor bloke, then you might see that speedway isn't working.

It has nothing to do with concrete starts, or coloured leathers...more so the old idiots like yourself who have got set in their ways and think they know best. Well you might have many moons ago...but you've all pretty much feck*ed it up from then.

Care to continue? I could go on about the charges up in Newcastle...just push me.

What a sad old man.

If you didnt know what speedway was, and found a copy of the SS in some random doctors waiting room, you would find it a very professional looking and informative magazine, and would never believe how the image you glean of the sport from the pages within would belie the actuality of how it is ran....

It does the sport more than justice in my opinion and speedway in this country is lucky to have such a well delivered publication showcasing its product..

I noticed a few diffferent copies in the local hairdressers the other day, though I'm a confirmed barber-dodger myself :lol: ....