British Speedway Forum

What a sad old man.

Yes you definitely are...typical old fart...starts an argument then resorts to this. Wonder how those Juniors are feeling today...

Edited by Gresham

Yes you definitely are...typical old fart...starts an argument then resorts to this. Wonder how those Juniors are feeling today...

SADLY typical of this forum at times ... what has this got to do with Speedway Star?

• Like 1

SADLY typical of this forum at times ... what has this got to do with Speedway Star?

Exactly...typical of this forum. There was I happily making posts in line with the topic, and asking questions to you, which you never replied to. Your prerogative. Then up pops some sad old fart, changing the topic, and going over old ground that has no reference to this thread. Fishing for an argument. Then when he gets a reply he can't deal with, he reverts to 'how sad'. :icon_smile_clown:

Then to top it off...you point the fault at me. Look where the fire started Philip. I've been nothing but complimentary of your magazine...and asked reasonable questions.

It's obvious on this forum of a clique...talk about gang mentality out of the playground...Sadly...and i'll use your words...typical of Speedway and those who run it. Amateur, playground and embarrassing to the Sport it represents. Circus clowns come to mind.

Exactly...typical of this forum. There was I happily making posts in line with the topic, and asking questions to you, which you never replied to. Your prerogative. Then up pops some sad old fart, changing the topic, and going over old ground that has no reference to this thread. Fishing for an argument. Then when he gets a reply he can't deal with, he reverts to 'how sad'. :icon_smile_clown:

Then to top it off...you point the fault at me. Look where the fire started Philip. I've been nothing but complimentary of your magazine...and asked reasonable questions.

It's obvious on this forum of a clique...talk about gang mentality out of the playground...Sadly...and i'll use your words...typical of Speedway and those who run it. Amateur, playground and embarrassing to the Sport it represents. Circus clowns come to mind.

I DIDN'T point the figure at anyone in particular. Your questions got lost somewhere. What were they?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

The 'Speedway Star', 'Speedway Express' and 'Speedway Mail' were all required reading in my years following the sport. Each had their different agendas but it was 'The Star' that I used to look forward in receiving the most.

I DIDN'T point the figure at anyone in particular. Your questions got lost somewhere. What were they?

Post number 51 Philip... Quote...

PHILIPRISING, on 01 Dec 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

PETER Oakes's new feature is a great read and a fabulous addition to SS ... Peter, as befits a top journalist with his track record, has a terrific eye for a story.

Thanks for all the comments. Cannot please all of the people all of the time.

As for the cost ... if we sold a few thousand more we could afford a cheaper cover price. Unfortunately in a market that has diminished dramatically in recent years that simply isn't a viable option.

Forgive me if you have already done this...but how much market research has been done by the magazine with it's readers and speedway fans online, as to what they would want from the magazine?

What is the age demograph of the readers? Are sales decreasing every year? What are the projections each year? Is the magazine looking to the future or doing the same as Speedway and ignoring what people actually want?

A LOT has happened in a few years and Speedway Star's current circulation reflects the attendances at British speedway which have diminished greatly in recent years. So, a lot less than 18,000 sadly.

The last time I looked, audited circulation was 12,000 or so, but that was a few years ago and apparently didn't include subscriptions. The Speedway Star doesn't seem to be listed anymore, so presumably it's no longer participating in the auditing process?

We have also been badly hit by track sales ... haphazard fixtures, a meeting one week, not the next one or two, often results in punters getting out of the habit of attending speedway and subsequently not buying SS. Some make the effort to buy it elsewhere but many don't and are lost to the sport and us. We have no control over that.

All the more reason to be making the case for better organisation of the sport.

Not sure why you have included VAT in your speculative figures. No VAT on magazines.

Yes, you're right. I forgot there was no VAT on printed magazines, although there is on digital publications as far as I know.

And I must admit that I didn't realise that people sending letters to the Oldie prefix them with "I've been watching speedway since the 19xx.

The point is the readership of the magazine is increasingly ageing. Whilst business wise have to cater for the core audience and presumably try to keep things going until the editorial staff retires, I think it's reasonably to ask where the magazine will be in 10 years.

Yes, you're right. I forgot there was no VAT on printed magazines, although there is on digital publications as far as I know.

The bästärds put 10% VAT on subscriptions a few years back over here with 24% if bought from any store or news agent.

PETER Oakes's new feature is a great read and a fabulous addition to SS ... Peter, as befits a top journalist with his track record, has a terrific eye for a story.

As for the cost ... if we sold a few thousand more we could afford a cheaper cover price. Unfortunately in a market that has diminished dramatically in recent years that simply isn't a viable option.

Forgive me if you have already done this...but how much market research has been done by the magazine with it's readers and speedway fans online, as to what they would want from the magazine?

What is the age demograph of the readers? Are sales decreasing every year? What are the projections each year? Is the magazine looking to the future or doing the same as Speedway and ignoring what people actually want?

One of the difficulties in asking fans what they want - whether it is the sports administrators or a magazine doing the asking - is that you always get a myriad of differing answers - as this forum regularly demonstrates, whatever the topic!!

As far as this thread is concerned I look forward to my subscription copy arriving each week and particularly enjoy the 'behind the scenes' articles whether based on leagues or the GPs.

However I can't let this topic pass without mentioning again the glaring error by the Star's Ipswich reporter who in two separate articles this week was convinced the Witches had signed Kyle Howarth rather than Kyle Newman!! :wink:

• Like 1

One of the difficulties in asking fans what they want - whether it is the sports administrators or a magazine doing the asking - is that you always get a myriad of differing answers - as this forum regularly demonstrates, whatever the topic!!

As far as this thread is concerned I look forward to my subscription copy arriving each week and particularly enjoy the 'behind the scenes' articles whether based on leagues or the GPs.

However I can't let this topic pass without mentioning again the glaring error by the Star's Ipswich reporter who in two separate articles this week was convinced the Witches had signed Kyle Howarth rather than Kyle Newman!! :wink:

Indeed...however as I asked Philip, I'm not sure whether they have carried out such market research.

Surely it would be advantageous to do so occasionally, to find out what the majority want?

Come on, Phil. We all love a 'he started it' comment :D

YES we have done some research and as usual come up with a wide variety of answers. What we do know: the vast majority want a printed version over a digital one, which probably reflects the age demographic of our readership and speedway's attendees, match reports are vital, club news gets a mixed reaction but generally in favour despite the internet.

Of course we are looking to the future but by-and-large our feeling is that we are providing what most people want.

The point is the readership of the magazine is increasingly ageing. Whilst business wise have to cater for the core audience and presumably try to keep things going until the editorial staff retires, I think it's reasonably to ask where the magazine will be in 10 years.

PROBABLY in the same place as British speedway. Our respective fortunes are tied together.

Indeed...however as I asked Philip, I'm not sure whether they have carried out such market research.

Surely it would be advantageous to do so occasionally, to find out what the majority want?

HOW can you ever tell what the majority want. It's like opinion polls ... Brexit, Trump, etc

HANDS up, it was a big mistake, one our long-time Ipswich reporter Elvin King has owned up to although it should have been spotted.

• Like 1

YES we have done some research and as usual come up with a wide variety of answers. What we do know: the vast majority want a printed version over a digital one, which probably reflects the age demographic of our readership and speedway's attendees, match reports are vital, club news gets a mixed reaction but generally in favour despite the internet.

Of course we are looking to the future but by-and-large our feeling is that we are providing what most people want.

PROBABLY in the same place as British speedway. Our respective fortunes are tied together.

HOW can you ever tell what the majority want. It's like opinion polls ... Brexit, Trump, etc

HANDS up, it was a big mistake, one our long-time Ipswich reporter Elvin King has owned up to although it should have been spotted.

Thanks for the reply Philip...and yes you can only judge by those who bother to offer preferences. Those who don't, really can't moan if they have been asked to offer feedback. I guess you can only go on the verdicts of the majority who do bother to give opinion. As you say...a bit like Bexit and Trump.

All the more reason to be making the case for better organisation of the sport.

BEEN beating that drum for a long time, including several times in 2016.

Too many Kyles riding speedway.!

You could almost put out a team of Kyles with the Jeremy version from TV as the manager :)