British Speedway Forum

I've said it before on other threads, but I do think what the staff at the Star do on a weekly basis for a minority sport is remarkable. The sheer breadth of international coverage always impresses me - I too am also a fan of Peter Oakes' piece.

SS's fortunes are inextricably linked to the success of speedway. When the sport goes through bad times and generates increasing disillusion, it's inevitable that the only weekly magazine will also suffer.

I also think that people's rose-tinted view of the past is mirrored in both the sport and Speedway Star. If you compared a 1970s Speedway Star with today's offering you will see a massive difference in quality. I also maintain that much of today's Speedway GPs have superior racing to much of the old World Championship Speedway. Why then the decline in popularity of both? In a word, choice.

Live sport is available on multiple channels 24 hours a day now. Rewind to the 60s/70s and you had to actually go to the football, rugby, cricket or speedway and er, that was about it if you wanted a weekly fix. Similarly with Speedway Star, there was less choice and much less available information in the 60s/70s. You had to wait for the Speedway Star to know exactly what was going on in the sport. Now, you can follow live results from Poland or get news direct (however small) from the riders themselves via social media - if that's your thing.

That makes it tough for a printed publication like the Star to be fresh and original each week. Even the major national newspapers have seen their circulation figures plunge dramatically, which is why they resort to screaming such exaggerated, attention-seeking and histrionic headlines (see Express, Mail, Sun). Thankfully, the Star has not gone down that route and kept some editorial integrity!

Where the Star is missing a big trick is digitally. That's where the now and future is and - honestly - their website and social media platforms are simply not up to scratch. It's network of reporters have huge access to all the riders, managers and every single key figure in the sport. So, surely, there should be much more unique video and photo content flowing through their platforms? I know a bit about this. This change in strategy would drive traffic to their platforms and provide a more appealing prospect for readers who are hungry for content and for advertisers, eager to measure return on investment from their advertising.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

Elvin King should have been put out to grass years ago, although I always enjoyed reading his squirming match reports when Lynn won at the Foxhole. :D

Nothing to much wrong with the speedway star. The price seems fair enough to me and your not going to please everybody with the content. I read someone on here skips the grasstrack section. My dad when he was alive used to go straight to that section first. At least the magazine covers all areas.

My only gripe is the journalism of a certain Mr Burbidge and in particular his reporting on the Hancock affair which was so one sided it was cringeworthy

• Like 6

Having started Speedway in the early 60s , the Speedway Star was called " Speedway Star and Ice Hockey News " !!!

As a Speedway supporter I believe the Star to be an important part of the Speedway scene which does an important job.

No magazine will be perfect in any Sport .

Long live the Speedway Star !!!

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 2

Must say, the few things I really enjoy in the Star are the Brian Burford pieces, the recent one on retiring riders very good. Always enjoy his writing.

Having started Speedway in the early 60s , the Speedway Star was called " Speedway Star and Ice Hockey News " !!!

As a Speedway supporter I believe the Star to be an important part of the Speedway scene which does an important job.

No magazine will be perfect in any Sport .

Long live the Speedway Star !!!

It was a superb Magazine in those days full of useful and interest fact and figures. On occasions it could be pretty hard hitting too.

Not these days though........................

It was a superb Magazine in those days full of useful and interest fact and figures. On occasions it could be pretty hard hitting too.

I can also recall Gunner 85 when the magazine was known as "Speedway Star and Ice Hockey News"'. It would have been in the mid-1950s when the dear old 'Speedway News' went out of circulation. The 'Speedway Star' bought the rights to that magazine and changed its title to accommodate the News' readers. I am certain that eventually the title - for many years - became 'Speedway Star & News'?

I can also recall Gunner 85 when the magazine was known as "Speedway Star and Ice Hockey News"'. It would have been in the mid-1950s when the dear old 'Speedway News' went out of circulation. The 'Speedway Star' bought the rights to that magazine and changed its title to accommodate the News' readers. I am certain that eventually the title - for many years - became 'Speedway Star & News'?

It did.

• Like 1

'Speedway Star & News', February 12, 1958:

377488_332721030085546_260696041_n.jpg?o
Edited by Guest

As I recall the Speedway Star and News lasted until the 1973 season, when the colour back cover was introduced.

The main photo is of Barry Briggs - then a Wimbledon rider - and his wife June.

Edited by Guest

Who's the John Hyam mentioned on Page 3?

The person you refer to was the successor to Eric Linden about mid-1956 and held the Editor's post at 'Speedway Star' until he went on to be Group Sports Editor of a weekly newspaper series in Middlesex in early 1962. Eric Linden left the 'Speedway Star' to join 'TV Times' but continued as a much-respected contributor to the Star for many years.

Edited by Guest