British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willowman

2017 Admission Prices

Not sure that any team would survive on those figures, that said its interesting to see that in Poland Unia Leszno season tickets are priced at £35 for the cheapest available, thats £5 per meeting.

But wages are about 3 times higher in Britain.

• Like 1

but they are paying the riders 5x as much and according to the statistics the average brit earns £509 a week, don't know what my friends and family are moaning about earning that much 🙄 Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

I dont make a comparasing, maybe a contrast. Seems fans in all the leagues over here are being asked to pay more and more each year, in most cases to make up the short fall for dwindling crowds, bit of an own goal IMO as a night at the speedway now for the family is an expensive night out. Its true to say wages in Poland are lower than here, but it seems paying lower admission pays dividends at the turnstiles all over Poland as they seems to get near full stadiums.

• Like 2

not much point in riding in poland for "big" money if you dont get paid (or sweden for that -same) british speedway stay strong and viable ,hey the tide might well turn in 5yrs or so,all fans just support this great sport in the uk,we have some great youngsters on the fringe.keep the faith pay the admission

• Like 1

not much point in riding in poland for "big" money if you dont get paid (or sweden for that -same) british speedway stay strong and viable ,hey the tide might well turn in 5yrs or so,all fans just support this great sport in the uk,we have some great youngsters on the fringe.keep the faith pay the admission

Thing is, how many tracks will be left in 5 years.

Workington up £1.00 from last year to £16.00 and a £1 for a race card

I believe that the current rate of inflation is around 1%.

Do the good people at Workington Speedway give any justification for a nearly 7% rise in the price of admission or do they just want fewer spectators to turn up?

:unsure:

Which other sports are ten pound sports ? I watch non league football 3 divisions below league football and that's eleven quid

I went to watch a grass track meeting in the summer, that was a fantastic day out, so many awesome races including sidecars, I would prefer to watch that at £10 plus programme than a 15 heat dragged out speedway meeting at £21 including programme.

Having been involved in speedway for many years i wouldn't be bothered if I went again, it's too expensive for the quality of the product.

• Like 1

I went to watch a grass track meeting in the summer, that was a fantastic day out, so many awesome races including sidecars......

Could you see the racing okay? The last time we went it was that dusty we hardly saw a thing. :neutral:

Costs are going up all the time because promoters made the huge mistake of deciding to pay certain riders a guaranteed sum regardless of how many points they actually scored, its one of the worst things to ever happen to our sport, riders should be paid travelling expenses and for whatever points they tally on the night including double points but nothing more.

If that is not enough to make ends meet then do what other riders used to do, get a part time job, when I started watching the sport in the late 80s most if not all the riders at 2nd division level and probably some in the 1st had jobs away from speedway and they didn't have big expensive sponsored vans either laid on for them either, I recall following one rider out of Arena one time, cant recall his name but he was a foreign rider, riding for Hackney and he had two bikes on an open trailer, that was his means of getting his bikes about.

................. they didn't have big expensive sponsored vans either laid on for them either, I recall following one rider out of Arena one time, cant recall his name but he was a foreign rider, riding for Hackney and he had two bikes on an open trailer, that was his means of getting his bikes about.

Two bikes and a trailer!

In my day, speedway riders strapped their trusty bike on to the back of one of these and off they went!

citroeen_cx_25_diesel_turbo_break_small_

I've been to some meetings recently and every man and his dog seems to have one of those Renntruck vans.

No wonder costs are going through the roof if riders are expecting this kind of pampering.

Mr Speedway Promoter, pay riders whatever you like but don't assume that the long-suffering supporters are going to subsidize your indulgences.

:t:

• Like 2

Used to get quite a few Citroens at Swindon with bikes either in the back or on a frame across the back of it.

One night the riders car broke down on the way to the track so he jumped on his bike and rode the half mile to the track on the road.

Later Simon Wigg turned up with a long trailer where the top opened up on a hinge and inside were two bikes.

Two bikes and a trailer!

In my day, speedway riders strapped their trusty bike on to the back of one of these and off they went!

citroeen_cx_25_diesel_turbo_break_small_

I've been to some meetings recently and every man and his dog seems to have one of those Renntruck vans.

No wonder costs are going through the roof if riders are expecting this kind of pampering.

Mr Speedway Promoter, pay riders whatever you like but don't assume that the long-suffering supporters are going to subsidize your indulgences.

:t:

I remember flying up the motorway to a meeting and heard a massive bang and thought the bike had fallen off the v shape bike rack but it was a blown back tyre possibly with the weight in the boot and the bike on the back.

I had a van before I retired but not like the ones today which are so well kitted out and must cost a fortune.

what gets me is the way clubs dish out hire vans for foreign riders.

Edited by robert72

I remember flying up the motorway to a meeting and heard a massive bang and thought the bike had fallen off the v shape bike rack but it was a blown back tyre possibly with the weight in the boot and the bike on the back.

I had a van before I retired but not like the ones today which are so well kitted out and must cost a fortune.

what gets me is the way clubs dish out hire vans for foreign riders.

The great advantage of the Citroen was that it had the self-levelling suspension so you could plonk your bike on the rack at the back and the thing would just level itself up.

In the day, outside the Hyde Road pits, there would be a whole line of these. All the riders seemed to have them.

Riders just seemed to have one bike and managed pretty well. In the unlikely event of it packing up, one of your team mates would lend you theirs.

And I'm not quite sure why modern clutches and chains are so rubbishy and seem to need adjusting every 30 seconds.

If your chain stretches on the ride from the pits to the start line, perhaps you need to get a better chain!

You didn't see Peter Collins faffing about with his bike once he left the pits and you certainly didn't see some minion running behind with a spare bike just in case he fancied a change!

:unsure:

........and I certainly don't remember any of the greats such as Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Ole Olsen and all the others feeling the need to employ somebody to waft cold air over them with a fan!

:rofl:

• Like 3