British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willowman

Photography Restrictions At Meetings

He was filming video in opposition to the company who owned the rights to film the event. Try doing that at Football, ice hockey, the cinema or local strip show. Only one person around here is draconian.

Well, obviously if someone is filming on a commercial basis without permission then that is understandable.

Wow, who is the draconian individual to whom you refer?

:unsure:

Edited by Little Thumper

I've often taken a camera with me to Glasgow in recent seasons when Berwick are there, and no one has complained. In fact, there's a good spot coming off the second bend where you see a few punters with camera's snapping away. I've taken photos up at Armadale too but only on the lighter nights. I think taking photos is a no no at Berwick though.

No such problems at Knockhill though. When i was there in the summer for the Touring Cars and the Super Tourer's, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who hasn't got a camera around their neck. The bigger the lense the better!

I've often taken a camera with me to Glasgow in recent seasons when Berwick are there, and no one has complained. In fact, there's a good spot coming off the second bend where you see a few punters with camera's snapping away. I've taken photos up at Armadale too but only on the lighter nights. I think taking photos is a no no at Berwick though.

No such problems at Knockhill though. When i was there in the summer for the Touring Cars and the Super Tourer's, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who hasn't got a camera around their neck. The bigger the lense the better!

Yes, it is always like that at BTCC and BSB at Oulton Park. There are bods with whacking great lenses, tripods and all the other gubbins.

A lot of people are into motor sport photography, so it would seem a little perverse for speedway promoters to discourage potential customers by prohibiting the activity.

Speedway is a colourful and photogenic sport and the more speedway photographs that appear on the various media, the greater the chance that potential spectators might be attracted to marvel at the spectacle.

:t:

Edited by Little Thumper

I didn't have any problems at Grass Track Meetings I attended within the last couple of years.

I didn't have any problems at Grass Track Meetings I attended within the last couple of years.

I have been to motor sport events all over this country and abroad and I have never been told that I can't use my camera.

I can't see why a speedway venue would seek to impose restrictions (with the possible exception of flash photography in the riders' faces) on spectators indulging in what is pretty normal behaviour at most motor sport events.

I feel sure that this must be something that perhaps happened in the past.

Quite strange that people are debating flash photography when the notice that started the thread doesn't mention it at all,but clearly mentions zoom,close up and video....... ;)

Yes, it is always like that at BTCC and BSB at Oulton Park. There are bods with whacking great lenses, tripods and all the other gubbins.

A lot of people are into motor sport photography, so it would seem a little perverse for speedway promoters to discourage potential customers by prohibiting the activity.

Speedway is a colourful and photogenic sport and the more speedway photographs that appear on the various media, the greater the chance that potential spectators might be attracted to marvel at the spectacle.

BTCC at Knockhill is a great day. I'd love to get to other tracks some day to experience it elsewhere. I'll get to the Superbikes next year too now i'm Monday - Friday in my new job.

I completely understand the "no flash photography" issue. That's just common sense for rider safety surely. But as you say, speedway is a photogenic sport, and capturing a great sideways shot is always pleasing. I went to the Scottish Drifting Championship final round at Knockhill on Bonfire night, and to be fair, unless you've got the proper gear, photography didn't really work well for me from a distance when it got dark, haha.

Here's the link to my Google+ page. If you keep scrolling, my BTCC albums etc are there if you fancied a look.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MartinHastings

BTCC at Knockhill is a great day. I'd love to get to other tracks some day to experience it elsewhere. I'll get to the Superbikes next year too now i'm Monday - Friday in my new job.

I completely understand the "no flash photography" issue. That's just common sense for rider safety surely. But as you say, speedway is a photogenic sport, and capturing a great sideways shot is always pleasing. I went to the Scottish Drifting Championship final round at Knockhill on Bonfire night, and to be fair, unless you've got the proper gear, photography didn't really work well for me from a distance when it got dark, haha.

Here's the link to my Google+ page. If you keep scrolling, my BTCC albums etc are there if you fancied a look.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MartinHastings

Nice photos!

I've not seen a yellow Ford Cortina estate for quite a while.....wow!

With regard to flash photography, I remember when we used to work on the night forest stages of the RAC Rally. You should have seen the flashguns going off there when the big boys were going through!

To be honest, we relied on all these flashguns going off all the time, as it was the only way that you could see what was going on in the stage.

You could always tell when you were getting to the tail-enders - there would be hardly any flashes going off.

All this flashing didn't seem to bother the drivers too much as I think they were just focussed in their own zone and could block out what they didn't need.

As i mentioned on the other thread in the GPs,SWC etc most photographers are on the outside of the track with powerful flash and you don't find the riders falling off or getting blinded.More and more tracks seem to be making photographers stay outside.Plus there is a limit anyway on how many photographers are allowed on the inside,so most are outside at meetings here in Germany at least and there are no complaints from riders.At some meetings like the ice speedway there are maybe 20 plus accredited photographers and only 3 or 4 are allowed inside at any one time,which means 16 outside taking flash pics

Most photographers at the GP I know never use flash at any time when the racing is on. Flash should be banned IMO, only in the pits it could be handy. The blinding isn't the issue I believe, it's more the red light which confuses the riders.

I believe there should be some kind of official rule which allows max 4 photographers on the infield at all meetings (open and FIM). These photographers should have FIM press passes so local or unexperienced photographers can't get access to the infield.

I've been to many meetings where I see the first corner is clogged up with photographers (hobby and pro) taking all the same pics and making it impossible for the ref to see the racing on the first bend.

In the Polish Ekstraliga it's regulated that only 2 photographers are working on the infield, and they change at every trackgrading. Works pretty good is my experience :)

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

Most photographers at the GP I know never use flash at any time when the racing is on. Flash should be banned IMO. The blinding isn't the issue I believe, it's more the red light which confuses the riders.

I believe there should be some kind of official rule which allows max 4 photographers on the infield at all meetings (open and FIM). These photographers should have FIM press passes so local or unexperienced photographers can't get access to the infield.

I've been to many meetings where I see the first corner is clogged up with photographers (hobby and pro) taking all the same pics and making it impossible for the ref to see the racing on the first bend.

In the Polish Ekstraliga it's regulated that only 2 photographers are working on the infield, and they change at every trackgrading. Works pretty good is my experience :)

The problem here doesn't seem to be flash anyway.It isn't mentioned on the website.If flash was a problem,then it wouldn't even be needed at afternoon meetings.The restrictions seem to be in other areas as i pointed out in the previous post.zoom,close up and video

I agree with the amount of photographers in the middle providing a problem for the ref.

Find it a bit of a joke about going on about FIM press passes and hobby photographers.How did you get started???? :rofl:

Think they should limit FIM passes to the main speedway nations to stop people from countries that hardly host meetings getting them :P

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Yeah you are right with that, but it's more a side subject of this haha....

I only state FIM press passes for infield access. Speedway/grasstrack is a dangerous sport and I don't believe that locals know the ins and outs.

I have seen many photographers for example laying on the ground taking pics, taking pics on the innerline, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

Nice photos!

I've not seen a yellow Ford Cortina estate for quite a while.....wow!

With regard to flash photography, I remember when we used to work on the night forest stages of the RAC Rally. You should have seen the flashguns going off there when the big boys were going through!

To be honest, we relied on all these flashguns going off all the time, as it was the only way that you could see what was going on in the stage.

You could always tell when you were getting to the tail-enders - there would be hardly any flashes going off.

All this flashing didn't seem to bother the drivers too much as I think they were just focussed in their own zone and could block out what they didn't need.

Cheers! Aye, that Cortina was parked down by our warehouse. When i got back from that days deliveries and saw that, i jumped out of the cab to take a photo on my phone, haha. I remember dad having a yellow Cortina, but not the estate version.

I always upload photos to Google+ too. Easier to share if you don't have people on Facebook.

Roll on motor sports 2017! :cheers:

Yeah you are right with that, but it's more a side subject of this haha....

I only state FIM press passes for infield access. Speedway/grasstrack is a dangerous sport and I don't believe that locals know the ins and outs.

I have seen many photographers for example laying on the ground taking pics, taking pics on the innerline, etc etc etc.

Yes i have seen some crazy stuff.John Bo from Denmark used to stick his camera on the line and shoot using a remote,which is obviously far safer,but not sure what sort of photos he was getting.Not really sure why the need to get so close.

I think Güstrow for instance didn't really want any photographer on the inside.I think more and more will go this way.Like i said earlier,possible use of drones to take pics will be used more and more in the future.They will certainly be an issue with invasion of privacy.Also been a few incidents of drones flying near airports,nuclear reactors etc.They would be pretty difficult to control at speedway meetings in towns and cities where someone could be in a car or house nearby and speedway clubs don't really have the time or mone to try and hunt them person down.It is also impossible nowadays to stop people taking photos with their mobiles.I can understand the issue,but it is almost impossible to control now and only getting harder

http://www.drone-air.com/services/sports/

http://www.roboticstomorrow.com/article/2016/03/using-drones-for-aerial-photography/7753/

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/09/drones_in_sports_they_can_help_coaches_and_athletes_but_also_create_major.html

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Yes i have seen some crazy stuff.John Bo from Denmark used to stick his camera on the line and shoot using a remote,which is obviously far safer,but not sure what sort of photos he was getting.Not really sure why the need to get so close.

I think Güstrow for instance didn't really want any photographer on the inside.I think more and more will go this way.Like i said earlier,possible use of drones to take pics will be used more and more in the future.They will certainly be an issue with invasion of privacy.Also been a few incidents of drones flying near airports,nuclear reactors etc.They would be pretty difficult to control at speedway meetings in towns and cities where someone could be in a car or house nearby and speedway clubs don't really have the time or mone to try and hunt them person down.It is also impossible nowadays to stop people taking photos with their mobiles.I can understand the issue,but it is almost impossible to control now and only getting harder

Lol John is creative :)

Yeah it's indeed going this way. One Sport for example reduced from 6 to 4 photographers and only 3 in the pits due to Eurosport demands. Also at a longtrack race in Dingolfing earlier this year only FIM press pass holders were allowed on the infield due to the 'insurance policy' they had.

Well, obviously if someone is filming on a commercial basis without permission then that is understandable.

Wow, who is the draconian individual to whom you refer?

:unsure:

Anybody who thinks every punter, that attends and event/activity where they have to pay to go/attend and should not be liable to accept reasonable rules set out and published by the event owner. Children, business and the likes need protection. Could be you !!!