British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willowman

Photography Restrictions At Meetings

Just noticed the restriction at the Oak Tree Arena (Somerset) here. Is this due to us now racing in the SGB Premiership and has been likewise at Elite League venues previously or something new?

Just noticed the restriction at the Oak Tree Arena (Somerset) here. Is this due to us now racing in the SGB Premiership and has been likewise at Elite League venues previously or something new?

That used to be normal at every track in the country.

It's been in the programme and on the website before. Pretty much standard practice at speedway and most sporting events. I have noticed they are pretty lenient with people taking videos with their I phones. Even to the point where one fan regularly takes footage in the VIP area in front of the powers that be. Regularly uploaded to Facebook and liked by the riders.

Why?

Because of the danger from flash and because it helped the pro photographers. They used to say that a flash from the centre green didn't affect the riders as much as from the crowd. Having said that, you still saw people doing it but there would be a "no unauthorised photography" notice somewhere in the programme, as well as a "betting prohibited" notice. These days you can get a bet on some meetings, so I suppose the 'no betting' sign has gone, I don't know whether any clubs still have the 'no photography' notice either.

Last season at Belle Vue it was clear no photography (Prog & Ticket) - Yet their late great centre green announcer was telling you to get your cameras out and take photos. Still they might not have told him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of the danger from flash and because it helped the pro photographers. They used to say that a flash from the centre green didn't affect the riders as much as from the crowd. Having said that, you still saw people doing it but there would be a "no unauthorised photography" notice somewhere in the programme, as well as a "betting prohibited" notice. These days you can get a bet on some meetings, so I suppose the 'no betting' sign has gone, I don't know whether any clubs still have the 'no photography' notice either.

Well, I suppose that prohibiting flash photography at night meetings when the riders are actually racing might be understandable but at other times, I can't see why photography should be banned.

I have watched all types of motor sport and have never come across any kind of ban on taking photographs. Indeed at some of the big meetings that I go to, such as British Superbikes at Oulton Park, taking photographs and video is an important ingredient for the paying customers.

So, I would have thought that any promoter trying to enforce a blanket photography ban should have a rethink and encourage people to take photos and show them to their friends, put them on line and use photography as a way of spreading the message.

:t:

Well, I suppose that prohibiting flash photography at night meetings when the riders are actually racing might be understandable but at other times, I can't see why photography should be banned.

I have watched all types of motor sport and have never come across any kind of ban on taking photographs. Indeed at some of the big meetings that I go to, such as British Superbikes at Oulton Park, taking photographs and video is an important ingredient for the paying customers.

So, I would have thought that any promoter trying to enforce a blanket photography ban should have a rethink and encourage people to take photos and show them to their friends, put them on line and use photography as a way of spreading the message.

I remember at Halifax the 'no unauthorised photography' notice was usually at the bottom of the front of the programme. Some cameras had auto flash and were wielded by people who didn't know how to disable it, in recent years there was the Darcy Ward incident, when he pulled up thinking it was the red light. There are plenty of people showing their speedway photos these days, so the rule is either no longer used or rarely enforced.

Why?

Think a few things have caused this.Firstly the mention of zoom photography,i think became a problem with people supposedly taking improper photos of spectators with zoom lenses.Video has obviously started to be a problem with people streaming the meetings live on the internet

Edited by iris123

Very valid point...I have on occasion uploaded footage of speedway via my phone on to social media. It in turn has raised awareness, and some people have rekindled their love of the sport having not been since they were children. Some not even realising there was Speedway a mere 20 minutes drive away from them. Also a rider I used to sponsor, liked it when I sent him footage of his races from different vantage points.

Think a few things have caused this.Firstly the mention of zoom photography,i think became a problem with people supposedly taking improper photos of spectators with zoom lenses.Video has obviously started to be a problem with people streaming the meetings live on the internet

Good Grief! What are these spectators up to?

:unsure:

• Like 1

Good Grief! What are these spectators up to?

Firstly there were problems(not at speedway i think) with people taking photos of children.Then there was the obvious problems of trying to take photos of women up their skirts or down their tops or whatever.The spectators weren't up to anything,the photographers though,was another story.......

Firstly there were problems(not at speedway i think) with people taking photos of children.Then there was the obvious problems of trying to take photos of women up their skirts or down their tops or whatever.The spectators weren't up to anything,the photographers though,was another story.......

Well if someone is pointing a camera up a skirt or down a top and offence has been caused, then the police should be called for and the matter investigated.

To instigate a blanket ban on photography on the basis of an incident where there may possibly have been an invasion of privacy is a little thin, I feel.