British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willowman

Photography Restrictions At Meetings

Here is a thread on the same subject from a few years ago.Might answer in depth some of the questions

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=69452&hl=photography&do=findComment&comment=2093857

Thanks for that, iris123.

So having read the previous thread where all this photography business is talked about at length, it would appear that the taking photos nonsense is coming from the same interest group as Belle Vue's Food and Drinks Policy.

In other words, the organizations don't want Joe Public indulging in any activity that might diminish their earnings.

Has anyone seen people being challenged for taking photographs at a speedway meeting and what was the outcome?

:unsure:

I think theres always been some sort of notice about photography at most tracks. I know the BSPA instructed tracks to issue 'upgraded' notices in 2016 especially in respect of video footage (periscope etc) to stop 'live' streaming as it contravenes the TV agreement with Sky.

At Poole there have been new notices displayed at the turnstiles, in side the stadium, in the programme and regular announcements made by the centre green presenter.

Having said all that I think the BSPA and many tracks are missing a trick at not displaying 'video highlights' regularly on club websites and official club social media platforms (whether it Sky footage or not?!) as it could attract new or lapsed fans.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, iris123.

So having read the previous thread where all this photography business is talked about at length, it would appear that the taking photos nonsense is coming from the same interest group as Belle Vue's Food and Drinks Policy.

In other words, the organizations don't want Joe Public indulging in any activity that might diminish their earnings.

Has anyone seen people being challenged for taking photographs at a speedway meeting and what was the outcome?

It's a business.

Yes, caught and banned. And that was before the new guidelines.

It's a business.

Yes, caught and banned. And that was before the new guidelines.

So you are seriously saying that a paying customer got banned from a venue because they took a photograph?

So, Tsunami, which venue took this draconian action?

Aside from any commercial aspects, (and I really think these are minimal as the sport needs as much publicity as it can get), my understanding of the prohibition was more around the safety of riders due to :

1. The flash photography on the outside of the track is a distraction. Watch any onboard video and you'll see the footage will reveal more views toward the outside than the inside of the track.

2. I think a telephoto lenses will require a more powerful flash than a standard lens, therefore the flash could be quite strong.

3. Many recording devices and cameras have a red light on the device when in operation. This could be mistaken by the rider for the track red light resulting in him to cease racing and cause all sorts of issues. (I believe Scott Nicholls had this issue in the SWC when it was run at Poole).

Aside from any commercial aspects, (and I really think these are minimal as the sport needs as much publicity as it can get), my understanding of the prohibition was more around the safety of riders due to :

1. The flash photography on the outside of the track is a distraction. Watch any onboard video and you'll see the footage will reveal more views toward the outside than the inside of the track.

2. I think a telephoto lenses will require a more powerful flash than a standard lens, therefore the flash could be quite strong.

3. Many recording devices and cameras have a red light on the device when in operation. This could be mistaken by the rider for the track red light resulting in him to cease racing and cause all sorts of issues. (I believe Scott Nicholls had this issue in the SWC when it was run at Poole).

So, if a meeting was run in daylight, there would be absolutely no need for any restrictions on photography and it would be unreasonable for a promoter to impose said restrictions on the basis of safety.

No problems at Buxton then: we can snap away merrily.

:t:

As i mentioned on the other thread in the GPs,SWC etc most photographers are on the outside of the track with powerful flash and you don't find the riders falling off or getting blinded.More and more tracks seem to be making photographers stay outside.Plus there is a limit anyway on how many photographers are allowed on the inside,so most are outside at meetings here in Germany at least and there are no complaints from riders.At some meetings like the ice speedway there are maybe 20 plus accredited photographers and only 3 or 4 are allowed inside at any one time,which means 16 outside taking flash pics

Wasn't there also a big problem a few years back with one club (might have been Peterborough)claiming copyright on any pics?

Just have to do a google search on photography at sporting events etc and there are loads of pages explaining things.Also stuff about schools banning parents from taking photos at school sports etc......

Edited by iris123

Years ago when I was more into photography, I used to write to tracks before travelling to ask for permission. Most replied saying it was ok and reccomended I carry their letter whilst at the venue in case I was challenged by stewards. Among the correspondence, which I still have, were a hand-written "ok and good luck" from the late John Berrry and, from the late Charles Ochiltree, a beautifully typed one, as you might expect. Both also thanked me for asking nicely in the first instance. But some tracks didn't even reply, despite me always including an SAE, though one even removed my 1st class stamp and replaced it with a 2nd class one ;).

Oh, and I never ever, used a flash, didn't own one at the time, but flashguns were a huge no-no at speedway....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

As i mentioned on the other thread in the GPs,SWC etc most photographers are on the outside of the track with powerful flash and you don't find the riders falling off or getting blinded.More and more tracks seem to be making photographers stay outside.Plus there is a limit anyway on how many photographers are allowed on the inside,so most are outside at meetings here in Germany at least and there are no complaints from riders.At some meetings like the ice speedway there are maybe 20 plus accredited photographers and only 3 or 4 are allowed inside at any one time,which means 16 outside taking flash pics

Wasn't there also a big problem a few years back with one club (might have been Peterborough)claiming copyright on any pics?

Just have to do a google search on photography at sporting events etc and there are loads of pages explaining things.Also stuff about schools banning parents from taking photos at school sports etc......

do photographers use flash on the outside at the SWC or GP? there was only one year I've been at Cardiff that it was permitted, and at the SWC at Kings Lynn and Belle Vue on the outside we're not allowed, we even had one SWC where we weren't allowed it in the middle too and the lighting at Kings Lynn is awful.

do photographers use flash on the outside at the SWC or GP? there was only one year I've been at Cardiff that it was permitted, and at the SWC at Kings Lynn and Belle Vue on the outside we're not allowed, we even had one SWC where we weren't allowed it in the middle too and the lighting at Kings Lynn is awful.

Can't remember any restrictions being mentioned at GPs or at the FIM meetings at Berlin.Anyway it has all become a bit irrelevant nowadays with the explosion of mobile telephone use and the ever increasing technology of their cameras.Doubt it will be too long before mobiles can take as good a photo as slr's(not the best of course).In fact in some cases with bad light people can take a better snap than i can with my Canon!!! And now with the ever increasing use of drones it will become practically imposible to police people taking photos and video footage.I know Egon Müller uses drones to take video of meetings at the moment.Ok,that is authorised,but there would be nothing stopping someone sitting outside the stadium taking video and streaming it live

Only British licensed tracks , so all tracks then, sad situation especially as you say so many camera and recording opportunites on phones and tablets.

"Gospeed copyright" limits promoters use of photos and footage as I recall.

I can't remember having seen any No Photography signs at any speedway tracks that I have visited this year but perhaps my powers of observation are failing.

I shall make a note to look for these signs when I attend speedway meetings next year.

Perhaps they are stuck on the same poles that carry the Don't Eat Your Own Butties signs.

So you are seriously saying that a paying customer got banned from a venue because they took a photograph?

So, Tsunami, which venue took this draconian action?

He was filming video in opposition to the company who owned the rights to film the event. Try doing that at Football, ice hockey, the cinema or local strip show. Only one person around here is draconian.

I really can't see a problem with this ruling.

You can always email the owners and ask to take photographs or video for your own pleasue. You never know, you might get a positive answer.

In fact this season past, Somerset had a Photography club present at one meeting. All pretty much new to the sport. It was nice to be able to chat to the guys and give them tips of where good viewing points would be, and a little advise on not blocking peoples views.

There were a mass of step ladders on the third bend :-)