Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willowman

Photography Restrictions At Meetings

Anybody who thinks every punter, that attends and event/activity where they have to pay to go/attend and should not be liable to accept reasonable rules set out and published by the event owner. Children, business and the likes need protection. Could be you !!!

That is obviously why close up,zoom and video are specifically mentioned.The track photographer/track shop want to sell those action and portrait pics.If everyone can do their own close ups(first time i have seen this mentioned)then no-one buys from the track shop.And obviously Sky pay a lot of money to cover meetings and tracks also have their own man their filming meetings to sell the dvd's....

Tbh i don't understand quite why at concert venues they supposedly ban photos,because they aren't selling pics of the band.....But i have been to venues where they have a "no camera" sign,but nowadays people are taking 1,000s of pics inside with their mobiles.Only once at an all seater venue have i seen staff going round and telling people to stop taking photos

So i can understand the stance at speedway,though as i say,nowadays it is almost impossible to police unless the stadiums are so empty you can spot people easily,but once drones really take off......... :P

When I used to do shifts at the local Art Gallery the policy was for no photos. It was almost impossible to police what with cameras in mobile phones etc.

I know some tourist places,Semper Opera in Dresden is one that springs to mind,ask for 5 euros or something before you are allowed to take photos.

There have been many speedway cameramen over the years - in the post-war era the best undoubtedly were Wright Wood, Alf Weedon and Mike Patrick.

Not one photographer uses flash while shooting from the outside. What are you on about Doug?

I dont even own one, but thats purely a financial stance. Someone will probably know better and tell us, but as my camera shoots 8 times a sec, the isnt a flash that can keep up.

Drones are a HUUGE safety risk and should be banned in all motorcycle sport.

Not one photographer uses flash while shooting from the outside. What are you on about Doug?

I dont even own one, but thats purely a financial stance. Someone will probably know better and tell us, but as my camera shoots 8 times a sec, the isnt a flash that can keep up.

Drones are a HUUGE safety risk and should be banned in all motorcycle sport.

Flash works the same on the inside of the track and on the outside.Are you also saying no one shoots flash on the insidebecause it is too slow? ;)

I personally think drones are a big danger to our society as a whole,not only to motorsports,but governments are being far too slow to clamp down on them and probably it will now be closing the door after the horse has bolted

• Like 2

I've taken photos at Newport, Swindon, Coventry, Peterborough and Belle Vue and never had any problems. You'd think after taking all them photos I'd have at least one decent photo but amazingly not!

Flash works the same on the inside of the track and on the outside.Are you also saying no one shoots flash on the insidebecause it is too slow? ;)

I personally think drones are a big danger to our society as a whole,not only to motorsports,but governments are being far too slow to clamp down on them and probably it will now be closing the door after the horse has bolted

There are plenty good photographers and people who know better than me, but me thinks flash is useless while photographing speedway.

Drones might drop and cause serious damage. My thinking stops there. :lol:

• Like 2

I've taken photos at Newport, Swindon, Coventry, Peterborough and Belle Vue and never had any problems. You'd think after taking all them photos I'd have at least one decent photo but amazingly not!

Ha Ha.

Despite what Newcastle Speedway posts on this subject, it really is to protect others interests. It is broadcast over the tannoy during the meeting, but there are stacks of fans who still take odd shots, especially as the riders having been interviewed as a team after heat 15 are encouraged to mix with the fans and have private pictures taken. Mrs Lambert films her sons every ride, presumably for analysis and scrapbook, my juniors are always being filmed and their races are posted on Facebook every week. So it can be seen it is not enforced strictly, but the stance has to be made to deter the outside photographers becoming a problem, and more importantly stop the introduction of apps like Periscope which is live update for non attendees. That will never be allowed.

On request, fan photographers have been invited to shoot pre meeting in the pits, and also shadow our own resident photographer Steve Brock and receive advice and instructions.

Edited by Tsunami

There are plenty good photographers and people who know better than me, but me thinks flash is useless while photographing speedway.

Drones might drop and cause serious damage. My thinking stops there. :lol:

Yes in decent light flash is not necessary.

Ha Ha.

Despite what Newcastle Speedway posts on this subject, it really is to protect others interests. It is broadcast over the tannoy during the meeting, but there are stacks of fans who still take odd shots, especially as the riders having been interviewed as a team after heat 15 are encouraged to mix with the fans and have private pictures taken. Mrs Lambert films her sons every ride, presumably for analysis and scrapbook, my juniors are always being filmed and their races are posted on Facebook every well. So it can be seen it is not enforced strictly, but the stance has to be made to deter the outside photographers becoming a problem, and more importantly stop the introduction of apps like Periscope which is live update for non attendees. That will never be allowed.

On request, fan photographers have been invited to shoot pre meeting in the pits, and also shadow our own resident photographer Steve Brock and receive advice and instructions.

Double standards thought all photos were Godspeed copyright

I never take photos at Speedway

I never break the speed limit

I never park on double yellow lines

Yes in decent light flash is not necessary.

yellow lines

Yeah you kind of caught me there as over here we dont have meetings under floodlights. BUt even the GP's I've done indoors, cant remember seeing a flash used. Will stick to the opinion of flash not being able to keep up with the camera though... = )

Ha Ha.

Despite what Newcastle Speedway posts on this subject, it really is to protect others interests. It is broadcast over the tannoy during the meeting, but there are stacks of fans who still take odd shots, especially as the riders having been interviewed as a team after heat 15 are encouraged to mix with the fans and have private pictures taken. Mrs Lambert films her sons every ride, presumably for analysis and scrapbook, my juniors are always being filmed and their races are posted on Facebook every well. So it can be seen it is not enforced strictly, but the stance has to be made to deter the outside photographers becoming a problem, and more importantly stop the introduction of apps like Periscope which is live update for non attendees. That will never be allowed.

I remember asking Tim Stone about 15 years ago if I could tale photos and his answer was "if you not taking them for money you can do what you like until I say otherwise". I always got the impression the clause/warning is there in case they want to stop someone rather than because they want to stop someone and that makes sense - especially with the periscope thing!

Edited by SCB

Peterborough always heaving with photographers

By coincidence i saw this today.A drone that automatically follows someone.Could have one rider with whatever it follows or wonder if it would be possible(eventually surely)to have 4 following the 4 riders.

https://www.airdog.com/

• Like 1

There have been many speedway cameramen over the years - in the post-war era the best undoubtedly were Wright Wood, Alf Weedon and Mike Patrick.

Two young photographers from the mid-1950s to early-1960s who promised much were John Goldfinch (a cousin of Wimbledon rider Gil Goldfinch) and Len Birch. Sadly both moved away from speedway into other photographic realms.

So far as John Goldfinch is concerned, I especially remember him doing 'at home' style features for 'Speedway Star' on Phil Bishop, Graham Warren and Ron How sometime in the late 1950s-early 1960s era.

Edited by Guest