British Speedway Forum
Hamish McRaker

Time For Nicknames?

i think it was only last season that someone coined nicki pedersen as "marmite" and i think nicki himself would enjoy it if it stuck .

Edited by gee jay

Remember seeing him in a race with Martin Dugard where he was attempting to pass up the inside and raised his front wheel and calmly moved it over Dugard's back mudguard to re-manourvre himself to the outside!

I saw him drop the bike and pick it back up at belle vue once

Tom Topinka was called Top Gun. Shane Parker was Fire Starter. Bo Brhel was The Bouncing Cheque.

Millen the Villain.

Crazy Jack

Gentleman George Barclay

SKEBU - John Goodall - I can't remember why.

All from Sunderland 'Stars'.

Of course the Americans of the 80s & 90s always seemed to have Nicknames...some quite bizarre!

There was 'Boogolo' Schwartz, 'Jellyman' Moran, 'Miracle Worker' Moran, 'Rocket' Ron, 'Cowboy' Cook, 'Bullet' Hamill etc etc (did Penhall ever have a nickname?)

And of course the best of the lot...'Five Flavours' Pfetzing!

There was also 'Super' Simon Wing, 'Marvellous' Marvyn Cox, Jens 'Rambo' Rasmussen, and of course 'The Main Dane' Hans Nielsen.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

There was also 'Super' Simon Wing, 'Marvellous' Marvyn Cox, Jens 'Rambo' Rasmussen, and of course 'The Main Dane' Hans Nielsen.

What days! Remember chewing the fat with you on the third bend!

Here's a few for the teenagers:

"Bronco" Bobby Dugard

"Slim" Jim Tebby

"The Hedgehopper" Trevor Hedge

"Happy" Reg Luckhurst

Here's a few for the teenagers:

"Bronco" Bobby Dugard

"Slim" Jim Tebby

"The Hedgehopper" Trevor Hedge

"Happy" Reg Luckhurst

...or "Feathers' Luckhurst!

Rip Snortin' Ray Morton

Todd "The Fastest Alive over the first 25" Wiltshire

courtesy of Dave Lanning in his Wimbledon days.

"Electric" Eric Gundersen

"Ever Trying" Alan Grahame (changed to Big Al in later years)

"Flying" Phil Collins

My favourites of earlier years were the Lemon Juice Kid and the Ladybank Express.

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

Super Simon Stead, Martin Crash Ashby, Charlie Cheeseman Gjedde, Bob Killer Kilby, Peter Killer Kildermand, Mike the Red Devil Broadbanks,

Salty, was Pete Jarman (P.L.J.) not the Lemon Drop Kid? Geordie Hunter was the Ladybank Express as he came from Ladybank in Fife, I think Ian Hoskins also Christened him the Spam Kid as he ate Spam rolls from the tea bar at Old Meadobank. :cheers:

Salty, was Pete Jarman (P.L.J.) not the Lemon Drop Kid? Geordie Hunter was the Ladybank Express as he came from Ladybank in Fife, I think Ian Hoskins also Christened him the Spam Kid as he ate Spam rolls from the tea bar at Old Meadobank. :cheers:

I love SPAM me!!! :approve:

Especially Spam Fritters. :t::approve: :approve:

Super Simon Stead, Martin Crash Ashby, Charlie Cheeseman Gjedde, Bob Killer Kilby, Peter Killer Kildermand, Mike the Red Devil Broadbanks,

Has Auntie Doris eloped with the young Albert Stopcock ?

Correct in both cases. The former was also known as Speedy Pete.