British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kraftwerk

Krsko 2017 - Round 1

Not sure those conclusions can be drawn. Would the local fans who go to the German, Czech and Slovenian GPs for example, travel somewhere else if there was no GP in their country?In British speedway when tracks close, some might start following a neighbouring track but I think most are just lost to the sport.

They may to support their compatriot, if they have one ...

Not sure those conclusions can be drawn. Would the local fans who go to the German, Czech and Slovenian GPs for example, travel somewhere else if there was no GP in their country?In British speedway when tracks close, some might start following a neighbouring track but I think most are just lost to the sport.

Maybe that is the problem for sponsors and the impression that those outside the sport get, half empty stadia in third rate countries. Why have GP's in Germany, Slovenia or Czech.. As I said reduce the number of meetings, two in Poland, one in Russia, one in Scandinavia, one in U.K. and possibly one in Australia and make more of it with for example a practice day that is open to joe public and perhaps another meeting. One in the morning and then the main event in the evening. Something does need to change if the product is to improve and people feel that they are getting entertained. If the latter is guaranteed, then price is not necessarily an issue. Still any comments and debate on the topic is actually a waste of time but it is always interesting that all the good advice and ideas of many on here are lost on those that run the sport.

Why have GP's in Germany, Slovenia or Czech.. As I said reduce the number of meetings, two in Poland, one in Russia, one in Scandinavia, one in U.K. and possibly one in Australia and make more of it with for example a practice day that is open to joe public and perhaps another meeting.

My understanding is that BSI have to organise a certain number of GPs each year, so presumably they need to find some cheap venues to fulfil their obligations.

It's all very well saying GPs should be held in country XYZ, but it largely comes down to who's prepared to pay for them, which is obviously why there's 3 in Poland. The Welsh government provides a significant grant in order to bring the British GP to Cardiff, and presumably the Copenhagen GP was dropped because its local authority was no longer interested in sponsoring. Similarly, the Stockholm local authority or tourist board is absent from the current list of sponsors, and it's surely no coincidence that there's talk of dropping that venue as well.

Melbourne would originally seem to have been a mates agreement, but with stadium ownership having passed to the AFL and crowds down after a reasonably good first year, one wonders whether that'll be a reasonable excuse to quietly drop that one too.

Russia is most likely not on the calendar because they're not prepared to pay the asking price, plus there's all the attendant difficulties of dealing with the logistics in Russia unless you have the right 'fixer'.

• Like 1

I think people are forgetting that the racing last year was, for the most part, brilliant. Not sure why people are suggesting major changes on the basis of one dreadful meeting on a terribly prepared track...

• Like 4

I think people are forgetting that the racing last year was, for the most part, brilliant. Not sure why people are suggesting major changes on the basis of one dreadful meeting on a terribly prepared track...

I for one am not suggesting major changes,just minor.Like moving the meeting back one or two GPs

Not only the racing was a problem for me.Even if the racing was brilliant it still wouldn't have totally given the big start to the season i think is needed.It is the stadium/crowd.It all looked a bit like a Swedish league meeting with the people spread out and just too relaxed.No excitement at all.

I mean even when they put the spotlight on the photographers,it looked like Dutchgrasstrack and my friend Bernd who was standing next to him were bored to tears :nono::P

As has been stated many times before about speedway in general,a packed stadium looks great and gives the impression this is something you should attend.A half empty stadium gives the impression this is not something that important.This is the world title race and should project the impression this is very very important.This was a damp squib

• Like 2

I don't care if they fill them or not but there is more chance of doing so with less GPS for people to attend surely....

Far to many GP's now.. That a poland have killed british speedway.

Far to many GP's now.. That a poland have killed british speedway.

How can you tire of watching the best riders in the world. The more the merrier I say.

• Like 1

For all you guys (and girls) who feel violated because the track was a little damp and are complaining about the racing in general maybe you should try to put things into perspective. First of all after you wake up one morning and you turn your computer on and all of a sudden you find out that Donald (The Apprentice) Trump is the most powerful person in your country and also the world things like the track conditions at the Slovenian GP take on a whole different meaning. Mistakes were made but just like in golf everyone plays on the same course. Ask Martin Vaculik how he thought the track was or Freddie and Patrick. Sure Tai Tweeted about his eight points not being too bad and the track not worthy of the best of the best but apparently some guys hitched up their Kevlars and got the job done. It was a beautiful setting for a speedway track and you know what? I'm sure the guys that prepared the track thought that they were doing the right thing when they watered the track. We all make mistakes and in this case the result was not the racing that we wanted, nobody got hurt, and I bet the people at the track had a good time!

• Like 1

For all you guys (and girls) who feel violated because the track was a little damp and are complaining about the racing in general maybe you should try to put things into perspective. First of all after you wake up one morning and you turn your computer on and all of a sudden you find out that Donald (The Apprentice) Trump is the most powerful person in your country and also the world things like the track conditions at the Slovenian GP take on a whole different meaning. Mistakes were made but just like in golf everyone plays on the same course. Ask Martin Vaculik how he thought the track was or Freddie and Patrick. Sure Tai Tweeted about his eight points not being too bad and the track not worthy of the best of the best but apparently some guys hitched up their Kevlars and got the job done. It was a beautiful setting for a speedway track and you know what? I'm sure the guys that prepared the track thought that they were doing the right thing when they watered the track. We all make mistakes and in this case the result was not the racing that we wanted, nobody got hurt, and I bet the people at the track had a good time!

You're a glass half full person, good on ya. :t: Just like you I love the gp's, I was disappointed with Krsko but I'm already looking forward to Warsaw. I'd have them every week! Since my beloved Hackney closed I can't bring myself to support another team, so I love gp Saturday. :D

• Like 3