British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Are We Seeing The Beginning Of The Demise Of The Labour Party

With the Richmond by election and Labour losing it's deposit for the first time in over a 100 years what future does it have in British politics. It only polled 1519 votes yet the local Labour party has more members than that.

What disasters are there in store for them in the by election in Sleaford and North Hykeham next week A sudden resurganceof the Lib-Dems and UKIP likely to make inroads in the North of England makes the future bleak for them or even if they have a future They have lost vertually all their seats in Scotland and are not likely to regain them. Not looking good for them

With the Richmond by election and Labour losing it's deposit for the first time in over a 100 years what future does it have in British politics. It only polled 1519 votes yet the local Labour party has more members than that.

What disasters are there in store for them in the by election in Sleaford and North Hykeham next week A sudden resurganceof the Lib-Dems and UKIP likely to make inroads in the North of England makes the future bleak for them or even if they have a future They have lost vertually all their seats in Scotland and are not likely to regain them. Not looking good for them

In answer to the heading: Hopefully! I don't think you'll see any great resurgence of the Lib-Dems, their recent success was in an area where 'remain' got a very large majority and Goldsmith came across as a stupid ****.

Politics is a strange thing in this country as it can swing enormously over a relatively short period of time. For example the Tories were un-electable during the late nineties and noughties when they were electing new leaders with each opening of a new cornflake packet. During the eighties it was said that Labour were dead but they re-invented themselves and eventually got back in to power. However their biggest problem is Jeremy Corbyn and his un-electable stable of shadow ministers. There may eventually be a split...and the next General Election when he will be forced to stand aside maybe the time and then who knows.

Regarding the recent bi-election I don't read anything into the result due to a low turn out (and a constituency who voted overwhelmingly to remain during the referendum) and the fact that there was no Tory candidate standing who would have split the vote and we may well have, therefore, seen a different outcome.

One thing is certain that the political agenda is volatile at the moment and the present Government's majority is slim to say the least (and there is talk of rebels within the camp) so anything can happen...interesting times ahead.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

The Labour Part started it's decline when Tony B Liar, Mandy and Braun stripped it bare of it's core values and turned the party into Tory Lite.

The Richmond by-election was a one-off and the smug-faced, grinning Liberal Democrats shouldn't get too excited - nobody forgives collaborators.

So yes, the Labour party will surely lose out to UKIP and even the Greens.

But I wouldn't throw a party at Tory HQ just yet. When you have people like Johnson, Hammond and Patel in key positions and when your party is so divided by vested interests, sooner or later the thing is going to implode and John Major's Bastards will be staging a comeback.

Many people have had enough of the establishment telling them how it is and there is a wind of change blowing across many continents and I say Hooray!

:party:

• Like 3

The Labour Part started it's decline when Tony B Liar, Mandy and Braun stripped it bare of it's core values and turned the party into Tory Lite.

Ironically, the only time in living memory that Labour have been electable was under Tony Blair.

• Like 2

Ironically, the only time in living memory that Labour have been electable was under Tony Blair.

Which goes to show that left wing politics, especially with the likes of Corbyn in charge, will be out of power for many years.

Which goes to show that left wing politics, especially with the likes of Corbyn in charge, will be out of power for many years.

I think the terms left wing and right wing may soon be swept away, as new types of political parties emerge from the ruins of the old order.

The new players will mix ingredients from all shelves of the political pantry and the lumbering political giants of yesteryear will be replaced by smaller, more agile and baggage-free players.

:t:

Labour are on a downer at the moment, just as the Tories were around 2001.

I voted for the Lib Dems at the recent Witney by-election. I'm a traditional Labour voter. I won't vote for Labour while the hideous McDonnell is Shadow Chancellor - I will once Corbyn resigns and McDonnell is removed. I think we'll have to wait until Labour get drubbed in the 2020 election for this to happen.

The Witney by-election result was an interesting one. Although I changed my vote, the Labour vote held firm. Instead there was a massive swing to the Lib Dems from the Tories, with the Tories only winning their 10th safest seat in the entire country with a much, much reduced majority. With that kind of swing nationwide, the Tories would be left with around 50 MPs.

I would suggest this week's by-election result in Richmond, with the Lib Dems victorious and both Goldsmith and Labour humiliated is down to four things:

1. Tactical voting

2. Brexit backlash

3. Corbyn/McDonnell backlash

4. Goldsmith backlash

5. Massive campaigning by the Lib Dems. I had numerous phone calls from them in the lead-up to Witney; I assume Richmond was the same. And also they sent far more literature than anyone else. I already knew how I planned to vote, and told them to stop bugging me with phone calls, unless they wanted me to change my vote elsewhere!

It will be interesting to see how long the Lib Dems can keep this going. I think they are much more likely to benefit from a collapse in the Tory/Labour vote than UKIP.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Mr Corbyn is making Labour more un-electable by the day.

I think the terms left wing and right wing may soon be swept away, as new types of political parties emerge from the ruins of the old order.

The new players will mix ingredients from all shelves of the political pantry and the lumbering political giants of yesteryear will be replaced by smaller, more agile and baggage-free players.

Initially the main factor is going to be pro or anti the eu, if getting out is not going smoothly there could well be an alliance of those in favour and those against which would mean most of the tories and ukip against the rest of the tories, Lib Dem and what is left of Labour standing in the 2020 election.

Then after that has been sorted you may be correct about the present dinosaurs.

Edited by A ORLOV

Mr Corbyn is making Labour more un-electable by the day.

In what way?

Screm, if you could pick the leader of the Labour Party to fight the next election, who would you choose?

:unsure:

In what way?

Screm, if you could pick the leader of the Labour Party to fight the next election, who would you choose?

:unsure:

Someone who you could imagine meeting heads of state and knows how to dress his/her self.

• Like 1

Someone who you could imagine meeting heads of state and knows how to dress his/her self.

I know you are joking, foamfence, when you suggest that we should choose political leaders on the basis of whether they wear an expensive suit or not.

You are jesting, aren't you?

But as you say, we need someone who wouldn't look out of place shaking hands with that nice Mr Trump.

So Nigel Farage it is then.

Spot on ..far left wing Politics is dead and Labours only hope is to head back to the middle ground when they won ge's under Blair ...Even if people don't like Tony Blair what he said about people wanting some party to follow that is in the centre is spot on ..I feel myself that have no one who can vote for at the moment and there is surely a void in the market.. I am many others feel the same .

• Like 1

Might be in your living memory but not mine!