British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Unsung Heroes.!

I was only a boy at the time , but Russ Dent would surely fill the category . The stadium would erupt when Russ pulled off an unexpected win in Glasgow colours

Strangely enough, i came oh-so-close to mentioning Russ! He too is a perfect example...

You mean the "full faced helmet" discussion on the Bjorn Knutson thread for instance?What the hell Knutson has to do with full faced helmets is beyond me :rofl::P

I think Knutson wore one in the 1948 British Riders Championship, along with kevlars sponsored by Monster. Of course, Knutson too was an "unsung hero"...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Paulco/Chunky - Nice to see my old pal Russ Dent remembered, he will be chuffed about that. No finer sight than Russ blasting around the fence for a last gasp win. Remember him beating home favourite Bruce Forrester in a run off to win the Teesside Farewell Trophy in 1971 - the place was jumping that night. Fond memories indeed.

"The Mackem"

• Like 1

Unsung heroes. Wal Morton and Geoff Pymar - for more than 30 years in speedway.

Strangely enough, i came oh-so-close to mentioning Russ! He too is a perfect example...

I think Knutson wore one in the 1948 British Riders Championship, along with kevlars sponsored by Monster. Of course, Knutson too was an "unsung hero"...

Steve

​I doubt your comment about Bjorn Knutsson and the 1948 British Riders Championship! He didn't actually appear on the UK speedway scene until the late 1950s into the early 1960s onwards.

Edited by Guest

​I doubt your comment about Bjrn Knutsson and the 1948 British Riders Championship! He didn't actually appear on the UK speedway scene until the late 1950s into the early 1960s onwards.

Really, gustix? But he was sponsored by Monster though, surely?

Steve

​I doubt your comment about Bjorn Knutsson and the 1948 British Riders Championship! He didn't actually appear on the UK speedway scene until the late 1950s into the early 1960s onwards.

Really, gustix? But he was sponsored by Monster though, surely?

I read your comment norbold and confess that I had no idea about Bjorn Knutsson and his involvement at the 1948 British Riders Championship together with his then sponsorship by Monster.

You have got me worried. Maybe it's ime for me to go for a long walk... :unsure:

Guest compost

Very interesting. Here's a challenge - name riders who graduated from the old National League Division THREE to full England international status!

Here's a few for starters - Cyril Roger, Alan Hunt, Wally Green, Bert Roger.

In reply to above, how about -

Arthur Forrest, Arthur Payne, Billy Bales, Bob Oakley, Bob Roger, Brian Crutcher, Eric Boothroyd, Gerald Jackson, Ian Williams, Jimmy Squibb, Ken Middleditch and

Ken Sharples

Hopefully I haven't included any colonials in the above list. The top colonials would be - Jack unstead, Neil street, Peter moore, Trevor redmond and Geoff Mardon (the only 3rd level rider ever to make a World Final)

I thought Jack Unstead was British? Born in Elm Park. He rode for England.

Edited by norbold

Slightly off topic Norbold but how did Jacks fatal accident occur. I am right in thinking had hit the safety fence and was struck by a follwing rider ?

::: From the much-valued International Speedway website. Bob Warner's moment of speedway glory:

1958 31.08 : Eastbourne Young England 58 Young Overseas 49 OFFICIAL

This match was officially designated as a "Junior Test Match", and is notable for the first international team appearance of Ivan Mauger. England were without Leo McAuliffe, who broke down on the way to the track, so Ross Gilbertson replaced him in the team and Bob Warner, who had attended the match as a spectator, borrowed novice Ken Vale's equipment and became reserve. It was to be the peak of Warner's speedway career for, with Overseas holding a 3-point lead after 11 races, and England robbed of the services of Bobby Croombs and Frank Bettis through injury, he was called on to ride in 5 of the last 7 races, and his 8 points gave England the match.

A Welshman replaced by a Scot to represent England?

Guest compost

Apologies, for some reason I thought he was Australian. I think he would come under the heading of an 'unsung hero'.

In reply to above, how about -

Arthur Forrest, Arthur Payne, Billy Bales, Bob Oakley, Bob Roger, Brian Crutcher, Eric Boothroyd, Gerald Jackson, Ian Williams, Jimmy Squibb, Ken Middleditch and

Ken Sharples

Hopefully I haven't included any colonials in the above list. The top colonials would be - Jack unstead, Neil street, Peter moore, Trevor redmond and Geoff Mardon (the only 3rd level rider ever to make a World Final)

Apologies, for some reason I thought he was Australian. I think he would come under the heading of an 'unsung hero'.

...and so did Ron Johnson! :lol:

Mick Bell,only had a relatively short career,but won a couple of team titles and was a steady performer.Luckily for me he wasn't in anyones shadow as far as i know :P

Edited by iris123