British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Unsung Heroes.!

Not sure if Mike Keen still lives in Upper Minety, probably, saw him at home in the mid 80s when I went to renew his accident policy. Bloody nice guy, still seen at The Abbey, along with Barry Duke,spoke to Dukey last week in Argos store, north Swindon. Works part time in an Oxford hospital operating theatre. Martin Crashby still has his motorcycle workshop on the outskirts of Marlborough, friendly modest guy. Broady the Red Devil still lives in Swindon area.

Fav ten tracks New Cross, West Am, Ackney, Wimbledon, Wembley, White City, Swindon, Worky, Coventry, Reading,...least fav Kirky Belle Vue Newcastle, IOW.

Edited by Alfred Stopcock
  • Like 1

Mick Bell,only had a relatively short career,but won a couple of team titles and was a steady performer.Luckily for me he wasn't in anyones shadow as far as i know :P

Was placed twice 1969/70 in the British junior championship and was a British Finalist in 73 so he was not overshadowed.😆

Was placed twice 1969/70 in the British junior championship and was a British Finalist in 73 so he was not overshadowed.

Mick Bell, of course, started as a junior at Oxford and was loaned out to Reading where he spent a good part of his career. Had a quite productive year at Leicester (due to Reading's enforced closure) and ended his career at Coventry. Probably better known for his Team Managing duties where he won championships at both Reading and Coventry (also as a rider whilst at both).

Spoke to him once when he was Team Manager at Oxford when I was trying to make a point about a substitution rider...he kind of brushed me off!

David Smart. Swindon second string. As a Reading fan, he was an annoyingly consistent opposing rider. Took his own life (I think) a few years back.

Dave Mullett was my unsung hero for what it's worth.

Tom

Is this the David Smart who rode for Arena Essex for a couple of seasons, around 1988/1989?

Is this the David Smart who rode for Arena Essex for a couple of seasons, around 1988/1989?

Yes it's the same David Smart.

Yes it's the same David Smart.

Good second heat leader for us at times when the team was rather woeful. Not nice to hear he took his own life, may he rest in peace

Edited for spelling (predictive text)

Edited by TRM

A main nominee by me for this thread would be the extremely talented Don Hardy who rode so many post-war seasons for Exeter.

A few others are Bob Fletcher (Coventry), Les Beaumont (Cradley Heath) and George Wall (Plymouth and West Ham).

Most of the unsung heroes of yesteryear were often no world beaters.Today i believe fans miss out on that getting to have long term affection and respect for riders.Because of teams forever changing that now has gone i suppose at Swindon we do still have Doyley/Nick who are long term team members.In my day Keen, Duke, Hitch, Bouchard,Mastrup,Holloway,Rossiter as examples all were Swindon stalwarts and fans respected them.Wouldn't it be great to have Champions who could defend the title with the same team.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Most of the unsung heroes of yesteryear were often no world beaters.Today i believe fans miss out on that getting to have long term affection and respect for riders.Because of teams forever changing that now has gone i suppose at Swindon we do still have Doyley/Nick who are long term team members.In my day Keen, Duke, Hitch, Bouchard,Mastrup,Holloway,Rossiter as examples all were Swindon stalwarts and fans respected them.Wouldn't it be great to have Champions who could defend the title with the same team.

At Wolverhampton we've been fortunate in that respect as the club has always been loyal to riders.

Graham Jones is one I would put up as an unsung hero.

The problem is these days though Sidney is many fans moan when the 'same faces' are brought back....

• Like 1

At Wolverhampton we've been fortunate in that respect as the club has always been loyal to riders.

Graham Jones is one I would put up as an unsung hero.

The problem is these days though Sidney is many fans moan when the 'same faces' are brought back....

Great point and they have been rewarded with Thorssell,Wolves over the years with PK,Freddie,Wells, Scornicki (ect)have gone that way of doing there team building. Last year after a few years in the wilderness deserved there success.

Most of the unsung heroes of yesteryear were often no world beaters.

Um, that's why they were "unsung" heroes...

Funny you should mention Steen Mastrup; I think he was a much better rider than most people would give him credit for. Of course, he wasn't around that long, and is undoubtedly forgotten by many.

Steve

Jimmy Tannock & Doug Templeton were an unsung pairing for the Monarchs between 1960 - 67.

JT started at Ashfield in 1952, then moved on to Motherwell 53-54 & 58, before appearing for Edinburgh in 1960.

Never more than a second string but had his moments, including beating Gote Nordin at Old Meadowbank in the BL.

Remember in the PL days on the parades Jimmy would ride round on his bike wearing a cap, with a fag dangling from his lips.

Doug rode at White City (Glasgow) around 1953/54, ,Motherwel44 & 58 l briefly at Ipswich 56, then rode for the Monarchs from 60 - 69, then Tiges& Bandits up to 1976.

A hard uncompromising rider who was one the top guys in the PL and had a decent record against the best in the BL also, but never made the big time in World Championship.

Another unsung hero in my books was Jimmy Squibb who was also a fearsome competitor who apparently first rode in 1939 and finished in 1975. Great to watch him & DT jousting at Old Meadowbank in the PL.

• Like 2

Um, that's why they were "unsung" heroes...

Funny you should mention Steen Mastrup; I think he was a much better rider than most people would give him credit for. Of course, he wasn't around that long, and is undoubtedly forgotten by many.

Steve

Not by me. Edited by Sidney the robin

I was watching a DVD last night (Wolves vs. Oxford 1990) and Ali Stevens rode a blinder of a meeting scoring 12 points. Another rider who was struck down with a serious injury during his early career and could have gone on and achieved more in my view.

Remember first watching him as a 15 year old during the interval at Cowley.

Jimmy Tannock & Doug Templeton were an unsung pairing for the Monarchs between 1960 - 67.

JT started at Ashfield in 1952, then moved on to Motherwell 53-54 & 58, before appearing for Edinburgh in 1960.

Never more than a second string but had his moments, including beating Gote Nordin at Old Meadowbank in the BL.

Remember in the PL days on the parades Jimmy would ride round on his bike wearing a cap, with a fag dangling from his lips.

Doug rode at White City (Glasgow) around 1953/54, ,Motherwel44 & 58 l briefly at Ipswich 56, then rode for the Monarchs from 60 - 69, then Tiges& Bandits up to 1976.

A hard uncompromising rider who was one the top guys in the PL and had a decent record against the best in the BL also, but never made the big time in World Championship.

Another unsung hero in my books was Jimmy Squibb who was also a fearsome competitor who apparently first rode in 1939 and finished in 1975. Great to watch him & DT jousting at Old Meadowbank in the PL.

Both Templeton brothers fall into this category , though Dougie was the better of the two , both were as hard as nails and not to be messed with . Funniest thing I ever saw during Glasgow's spell at Hampden was a very youthful Bobby Beaton, through his inexperience and youthful aggression ,put his team mate Dougie in the fence . Needless to say Dougie wasn't impressed and let Bobby know in no uncertain terms , then as usual Beaton senior appeared to stick his ore in and the result of that was a full scale scuffle between team mates and officials , with Willie being restrained by about four people .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 2