British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Unsung Heroes.!

Surely you have priased him often enough for him to be a sung hero by now? :P

What about Dave Morton.Is he a sung hero or unsung?Mostly in the shadow of his brother.The same could be said of Barney Kennett.Not that he was in Chris Mortons shadow though.Met him in Vojens some years back when Eddie was in the world U21 meeting there.Nice bloke.Barney that is

Dave Morton was only in the shadow of Chris after he broke his fibia which basically finished him as a top class rider.At Hackney Dave was superb and for me was a better rider than Chris up until he broke his leg.

Widening my search riders like Ian Turner, Mike Lanham, Norman Storer, Roger Johns, Trevor Geer...all good dependable 'team' riders who are what league speedway is really all about. Okay we crave the 'stars' but without the middle order cum reserves team speedway just wouldn't be able to exist.

Dave Morton was only in the shadow of Chris after he broke his fibia which basically finished him as a top class rider.At Hackney Dave was superb and for me was a better rider than Chris up until he broke his leg.

Rubbish.Even though Chris was 3 years younger he had already made a world final by 1976 and even in the 1975 British Final he outscored his older brother.

Edited by iris123

One of my favourite unsung heroes was John Dews. He was allocated to Oxford in 1973 (as a replacement for Dave Hemus) and really struggled around Cowley initially. He eventually got to master Oxford and by 1975 carried a very respectable average of around six and a half points. His team riding with both Dag Lovaas and especially Richard Greer were a joy to watch.

Rubbish.Even though Chris was 3 years younger he had already made a world final by 1976 and even in the 1975 British Final he outscored his older brother.

Iris Dave Morton before he broke his leg at Hackney was never in the shadow of Chris in 76 Dave averaged over 10 not bad. Chris who i admired greatly had a great career but Dave before his injury was no mug certainly not in his brothers shadow. Edited by Sidney the robin

Have to agree re Norman Storer-always a solid guy. I recall he was in the 1964 PLRC Final, but I think he replaced someone who got injured-can anyone remind me who this was? Was also about to mention John Dews but Steve beat me to it-I recall John as a stalwart of the Sheffield side 1964-65, Here's another name or two- Mike Watkin(Newcastle) , Alan Butterfield (Middlesbrough). I have to support the mention of Mike Keen, from the village of Minety-does he still live there?? While I'm at it- Mike Cake as well. So many names come back to me as I'm posting this-e.g. John Poyser of Hackney, Brian Davies etc

• Like 1

Iris Dave Morton before he broke his leg at Hackney was never in the shadow of Chris in 76 Dave averaged over 10 not bad. Chris who i admired greatly had a great career but Dave before his injury was no mug certainly not in his brothers shadow.

I am just dealing in facts,not fantasy.Even before his accident it looked like Chris was the better prospect.The fact that he made a world final at an early age was showing that.Dave,whilst a very good rider didn't look to be an international class one.The fact is as i stated at the beginning he was in the shadow of his brother.I know a lot of this section deals in fantasy and what might have happened and who would have won world championships if there were GPs in the 50s,60s and 70s,but they are just that,peoples fantasies

For longevity in speedway without making a major breakthrough but completely dedicated to the sport between late 1952 until circa 1968, how about Bob Warner?

I am certain that's a name to test the memories of many speedway fans?

What about Steve Chilman,who was riding at Wimbledon in the 60s and i seem to remember him also in the 70s(maybe making a second half comeback)and eventually had a little bit of glory in 1988 when he won the National Vintage Speedway Championship at Reading,in the post war class

For longevity in speedway without making a major breakthrough but completely dedicated to the sport between late 1952 until circa 1968, how about Bob Warner?

I am certain that's a name to test the memories of many speedway fans?

::: From the much-valued International Speedway website. Bob Warner's moment of speedway glory:

1958 31.08 : Eastbourne Young England 58 Young Overseas 49 OFFICIAL

This match was officially designated as a "Junior Test Match", and is notable for the first international team appearance of Ivan Mauger. England were without Leo McAuliffe, who broke down on the way to the track, so Ross Gilbertson replaced him in the team and Bob Warner, who had attended the match as a spectator, borrowed novice Ken Vale's equipment and became reserve. It was to be the peak of Warner's speedway career for, with Overseas holding a 3-point lead after 11 races, and England robbed of the services of Bobby Croombs and Frank Bettis through injury, he was called on to ride in 5 of the last 7 races, and his 8 points gave England the match.

Edited by Guest

I am just dealing in facts,not fantasy.Even before his accident it looked like Chris was the better prospect.The fact that he made a world final at an early age was showing that.Dave,whilst a very good rider didn't look to be an international class one.The fact is as i stated at the beginning he was in the shadow of his brother.I know a lot of this section deals in fantasy and what might have happened and who would have won world championships if there were GPs in the 50s,60s and 70s,but they are just that,peoples fantasies

My point was that Dave was not in Chrissies shadow for those three seasons 1976 Dave averaged over 10 i think Chris averaged 9.53?.Chris we all knew he would go on to great things but my memory in that 76 season when i saw Dave ride he was flying.

My point was that Dave was not in Chrissies shadow for those three seasons 1976 Dave averaged over 10 i think Chris averaged 9.53?.Chris we all knew he would go on to great things but my memory in that 76 season when i saw Dave ride he was flying.

Doesn't matter.Look back at their careers and Dave was in Chris' shadow.Your previous posts just help make my point.Obviously at first he wasn't.He was older,but overall he was.Dave never made a single world final,doubt he even made any major international final.Chris made plenty

The original point i was making was he is an unsung hero.I don't want to put him down,he just wasn't as good as his younger brother.That is a fact

Edited by iris123

Doesn't matter.Look back at their careers and Dave was in Chris' shadow.Your previous posts just help make my point.Obviously at first he wasn't.He was older,but overall he was.Dave never made a single world final,doubt he even made any major international final.Chris made plenty

The original point i was making was he is an unsung hero.I don't want to put him down,he just wasn't as good as his younger brother.That is a fact

I was not trying to prove a point at all, but you have not answered the point of the 76 year? will you give Dave credit for that year.? Dave was terrific for the Hawks that year i have always said that Chris was the better rider but Dave in that one season was on fire.SHADOW of his brother NO Dave Morton was a very good rider in his own right did you see him for Hackney Iris.?

I was not trying to prove a point at all, but you have not answered the point of the 76 year? will you give Dave credit for that year.? Dave was terrific for the Hawks that year i have always said that Chris was the better rider but Dave in that one season was on fire.SHADOW of his brother NO Dave Morton was a very good rider in his own right did you see him for Hackney Iris.?

I saw him ride for Hackney of course.

You see,the point is Sid i am talking over a whole career and not 1 season

Dave rode from 71-86 and Chris from 73 when he made his team debut to 93.Now as early as 1974 Chris was British Junior Champ.In 75 he made his full England debut.and in the tests against Sweden scored 11 at Belle Vue whilst in the same series Dave scored 5 at Hackney.Now Chris was 3 years younger.The next season he made his first world final.During the period they raced at the same time Chris made another 4 world finals,plus he was part of world title winning pairs and teams.Dave wasn't......

I saw him ride for Hackney of course.

You see,the point is Sid i am talking over a whole career and not 1 season

Dave rode from 71-86 and Chris from 73 when he made his team debut to 93.Now as early as 1974 Chris was British Junior Champ.In 75 he made his full England debut.and in the tests against Sweden scored 11 at Belle Vue whilst in the same series Dave scored 5 at Hackney.Now Chris was 3 years younger.The next season he made his first world final.During the period they raced at the same time Chris made another 4 world finals,plus he was part of world title winning pairs and teams.Dave wasn't......

Forget 71/86 after Dave broke his leg he was never the same again that is what you are forgetting.