British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Unsung Heroes.!

Forget 71/86 after Dave broke his leg he was never the same again that is what you are forgetting.

True enough.You are right and Dave wasn't in Chris' shadow.My bad

True enough.You are right and Dave wasn't in Chris' shadow.My bad

I dont think there is a right or wrong Iris i enjoyed watching both Morton brothers Chris is one of the most exciting riders

i have ever seen.

I dont think there is a right or wrong Iris i enjoyed watching both Morton brothers Chris is one of the most exciting riders

i have ever seen.

We were lucky to have a big basket full of talent in the country back then.Lots of riders given a chance in test series.Now we have trouble naming a team for the SWC

We were lucky to have a big basket full of talent in the country back then.Lots of riders given a chance in test series.Now we have trouble naming a team for the SWC

Ain't that the truth? The sad, sad, truth... Think back to the quality of the riders who couldn't even make it to the British Final? Sure, there were only a small handful of real "superstars", but the strength in depth was incredible.

Steve

• Like 2

Ain't that the truth? The sad, sad, truth... Think back to the quality of the riders who couldn't even make it to the British Final? Sure, there were only a small handful of real "superstars", but the strength in depth was incredible.

Steve

The old Second Division produced a hatful of riders who went on to become internationals and/or heat leaders in the First Division joining a smattering of class riders from the old Provincial League. It was no accident that Britain/England ruled during the seventies but of course this became more diluted once certain influential entrepreneurs took control and the old Second Division became a training ground for foreign imports and the whole scene changed. Hence one of the reasons (amongst many) why domestic speedway is in the state that it now finds itself.

The old Second Division produced a hatful of riders who went on to become internationals and/or heat leaders in the First Division joining a smattering of class riders from the old Provincial League. It was no accident that Britain/England ruled during the seventies but of course this became more diluted once certain influential entrepreneurs took control and the old Second Division became a training ground for foreign imports and the whole scene changed. Hence one of the reasons (amongst many) why domestic speedway is in the state that it now finds itself.

I really enjoyed the old NL i see quite alot of NL stuff over the years with the Owen brothers, old stagers Etheridge,Jackson,Sage, a nice blend of young and old riders.Do any of us think or believe that when the Rasmussen/Schroeck situation arose did that really have a massive effect on British speedway long term i believe it did. Edited by Sidney the robin

I really enjoyed the old NL i see quite alot of NL stuff over the years with the Owen brothers, old stagers Etheridge,Jackson,Sage, a nice blend of young and old riders.Do any of us think or believe that when the Rasmussen/Schroeck situation arose did that really have a massive effect on British speedway long term i believe it did.

As you know Sidney supporting Oxford I saw the best of both worlds (and the old second halves when we got to see the talented riders from both Eastbourne and Peterborough) and it was a massive shame that the doors opened up giving the National League an opportunity in filling their teams with often very ordinary 'foreigners'. As regards 'Razzer' he had a case, of sorts, being married to an English girl but Peter Schroek really was the beginning of the situation we now endure.

As you know Sidney supporting Oxford I saw the best of both worlds (and the old second halves when we got to see the talented riders from both Eastbourne and Peterborough) and it was a massive shame that the doors opened up giving the National League an opportunity in filling their teams with often very ordinary 'foreigners'. As regards 'Razzer' he had a case, of sorts, being married to an English girl but Peter Schroek really was the beginning of the situation we now endure.

Steve as your memory is spot on the money can you remember at Oxford in 1978 at the end of the season Oxford v Supporters Select.? George Hunter,Pip, Sheilds Hack (ect) v a select and i can remember Holloway scoring 10 at reserve.Also remember going to a NL England v Australasia test match as well. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I quickly put my mind to the number of English riders who progressed to full internationals from the old Second Division/National League.

Dave Jesuup, Barry Thomas, Gordon Kennett, Peter Collins, Chris & Dave Morton, John Davis, John Louis, Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson, Kenny Cater, Michael Lee, Ian Cartwright, Alan Wilkinson...quite a list and that's not having to think very hard. I'm sure that there are lots more! No wonder Britain/England ruled the waves during the seventies!

I quickly put my mind to the number of English riders who progressed to full internationals from the old Second Division/National League.

Dave Jesuup, Barry Thomas, Gordon Kennett, Peter Collins, Chris & Dave Morton, John Davis, John Louis, Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson, Kenny Cater, Michael Lee, Ian Cartwright, Alan Wilkinson...quite a list and that's not having to think very hard. I'm sure that there are lots more! No wonder Britain/England ruled the waves during the seventies!

Very interesting. Here's a challenge - name riders who graduated from the old National League Division THREE to full England international status!

Here's a few for starters - Cyril Roger, Alan Hunt, Wally Green, Bert Roger.

Roger Johns, Kevin Holden, Alan Grahame, Andy Grahame, Steve Bastable, Simon Wigg, Les Collins, Phil Collins, Neil Collins, Kevin Smith, Richard Knight...

Steve

• Like 1

My favourite ten NL riders of all time are (no order ) Owen bros),Jackson, Etheridge,Woods,Thommo(later years) Dugard,Lawson, W.Brown, R.Hunter.

Interesting list...mine in no particular order (grief I'm sounding like that woman on 'Strictly' now!)

Sampson, G.Hunter, Perks, Rumsey, Humphreys, Emmett, Kennett Bros., B.Clark, Ballard, Harrison.

My favourite ten NL riders of all time are (no order ) Owen bros),Jackson, Etheridge,Woods,Thommo(later years) Dugard,Lawson, W.Brown, R.Hunter.

Ten NL riders who I enjoyed watching - again no order: Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ove Fundin, Basse Hveem, George Newton, Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Frank Dolan, Ernie Price.

Edited by Guest

My ten favourite tracks Hyde Rd,The Old Abbey (not now),The Shay, Sheffield,Exeter,Ellesmere Port,Reading Smallmead),Leicester,the new Belle Vue ( awesome).