British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jsteve1999

Change From Methanol To Unleaded

Hi Everybody

I am in the process of re building my 890 2 valve jawa but it will only be run a few times a year and never raced

can anybody tell me if it is possible to change from methanol to unleaded to get rid of all the problems with alcohol fuel

as far as I understand rejet carb lower compression retard spark are easy to do, but I need to do any drastic internal

mods

I am also thinking of changing the oil to mineral again to get rid of the problems of leaving castor based oil in the engine over

prolonged periods

Any help or suggestions would be a help

Regards to all

Steve

Hi Everybody

I am in the process of re building my 890 2 valve jawa but it will only be run a few times a year and never raced

can anybody tell me if it is possible to change from methanol to unleaded to get rid of all the problems with alcohol fuel

as far as I understand rejet carb lower compression retard spark are easy to do, but I need to do any drastic internal

mods

I am also thinking of changing the oil to mineral again to get rid of the problems of leaving castor based oil in the engine over

prolonged periods

Any help or suggestions would be a help

Regards to all

Steve

Hello Steve.

From my drag racing background, an alcohol (methanol) engine runs cooler, so you may have a heat problem with petrol?

I "think" the Jawa Metisse uses older 2 valve speedway engines with a pre unit gearbox and they run on petrol.

Other than that, all of the above you seem to have a handle on.

Mark.

Hello Steve.

From my drag racing background, an alcohol (methanol) engine runs cooler, so you may have a heat problem with petrol?

I "think" the Jawa Metisse uses older 2 valve speedway engines with a pre unit gearbox and they run on petrol.

Other than that, all of the above you seem to have a handle on.

Mark.

Hi Mark, I spoke to a rider at a Pre-65 Scramble (Marks Tey) who had a Jawa 2 valve Metisse and he was using methanol. Clive