British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Is Speedway Classed As An Entertainment Or A Sport?

Interested article in the latest 'Classic Speedway' Magazine.

During the days of the 'Entertainment Tax' that hit speedway hard during the fifties speedway was apparently classed as an entertainment along with other forms of motor sport, horse and greyhound racing rather than 'sport' on the premise that it was a 'test of speed not skill'. It was also considered to be 'non-live'!

However both football and cricket were considered to be sport and therefore attracted less than half the levy. Football paid 15 per cent compared to speedway's 48 per cent.

Interesting analogy.

Interested article in the latest 'Classic Speedway' Magazine.

During the days of the 'Entertainment Tax' that hit speedway hard during the fifties speedway was apparently classed as an entertainment along with other forms of motor sport, horse and greyhound racing rather than 'sport' on the premise that it was a 'test of speed not skill'. It was also considered to be 'non-live'!

However both football and cricket were considered to be sport and therefore attracted less than half the levy. Football paid 15 per cent compared to speedway's 48 per cent.

Interesting analogy.

And indeed, perhaps speedway is neither an entertainment or a sport but a business.

Formula 1 used to be a sport, it used to be entertaining but is now just a business activity.

In reality, speedway is probably a mixture of all three but following some of my recent visits to some ropey set-ups, I might vote for None of the Above!

And indeed, perhaps speedway is neither an entertainment or a sport but a business.

Formula 1 used to be a sport, it used to be entertaining but is now just a business activity.

In reality, speedway is probably a mixture of all three but following some of my recent visits to some ropey set-ups, I might vote for None of the Above!

I guess that you could classify most sports as a business activity now judging by the vast amounts of money involved.

• Like 1

"The underlying fact about speedway racing which can not be concealed and must indeed be basic to any consideration of control of the sport is that speedway is in truth a business"

Shawcross Report 1965

• Like 1

When someone can decide to spend his whole career in the National League, or certain clubs and riders consider the second tier to be as high as they're prepared to aspire to, that isn't a sport. The GPs are the nearest bit of Speedway to be a sport, or at least they would be if all competitors were qualifiers and a more standardised level of equipment was used. Guests, tactical rides and a constantly changing rule book, all serve to lessen the credibility and add to the circus-like impression. I still enjoy a good race but trying to sell the concept to anyone new is certainly not easy.

• Like 4

An entertaining sport!

What I find interesting is speedway used to appeal a lot to the old bikers and casual motorsport enthusaists.

Nowadays with the inclusion on Monster and the shows at GPs etc, they try and make it more like a sort of motorcross, bmxing extreme type of sport and try to emphasise the no brakes, high speed danger side of the sport which seems to appeal more to modern society than back in the popular days where it sold itself in its own individual way.

Amazing how times change.

WSF = World Speedway Federation?

An entertaining sport!

What I find interesting is speedway used to appeal a lot to the old bikers and casual motorsport enthusaists.

Nowadays with the inclusion on Monster and the shows at GPs etc, they try and make it more like a sort of motorcross, bmxing extreme type of sport and try to emphasise the no brakes, high speed danger side of the sport which seems to appeal more to modern society than back in the popular days where it sold itself in its own individual way.

Amazing how times change.

I don't know how far back you're going with this but certainly, between 1966 when I first sat (legally) on a Golden Arrow to selling my Kawasaki 400 4 in the mid-1980s and belonging to several motorcycle groups I was very much in the minority for liking speedway, very often a minority of one. Most couldn't identify with the brakeless, single-geared machinery and had no interest in watching short bursts of action limited to just turning left.

Edited by Barney Rabbit
  • Like 3

It'a primarily a sport as riders race in the various competitions for legitimate championships, it's also enrtertaining as heck on so very many levels.

I don't know how far back you're going with this but certainly, between 1966 when I first sat (legally) on a Golden Arrow to selling my Kawasaki 400 4 in the mid-1980s and belonging to several motorcycle groups I was very much in the minority for liking speedway, very often a minority of one. Most couldn't identify with the brakeless, single-geared machinery and had no interest in watching short bursts of action limited to just turning left.

Me also though I only go back as far as the 1980's, I also had a Kawaski 400 once. Whenever I bump into biker mates they are eye-poppingly amazed I've had a few rides on a speedway track myself, on a 500 with no gears or brakes, and got it (slightly) sideways. It was something I simply HAD to do and wanted to since when I was 'no but a lad' but was unable to ride for a long time for various reasons.

So what was it like ? As absolutely flipping brilliant as you can imagine it to be and more.

Much, much more :party: .

Now I cannot spare the time for any more spins but I don't regret it for a split second and if time, and let's face it money, become more available then I'll be back on-track in a heartbeat.

For me speedway still rules :t:...

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

It'a primarily a sport as riders race in the various competitions for legitimate championships, it's also enrtertaining as heck on so very many levels.

Me also though I only go back as far as the 1980's, I also had a Kawaski 400 once. Whenever I bump into biker mates they are eye-poppingly amazed I've had a few rides on a speedway track myself, on a 500 with no gears or brakes, and got it (slightly) sideways. It was something I simply HAD to do and wanted to since when I was 'no but a lad' but was unable to ride for a long time for various reasons.

So what was it like ? As absolutely flipping brilliant as you can imagine it to be and more.

Much, much more :party: .

Now I cannot spare the time for any more spins but I don't regret it for a split second and if time, and let's face it money, become more available then I'll be back on-track in a heartbeat.

For me speedway still rules :t:...

It's a strange analogy in many ways...as it questions, is sport meant to be entertaining? Then again...Entertainment isn't always necessarily Entertaining if you get my drift.

Interestingly, the oxford dictionary definition states sport as... An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It's funny how the public persona of speedway is seen to be for motorcycle enthusiasts...as hardly any attend.

Like any sport, it's always best if you can, to get a better understanding of the sport, to have actually had a go yourself.

Never did roadbikes...but had a go at Ennduro, Moto X, Grasstrack and Speedway. Nothing compares to getting a Speedway bike sideways...have complete admiration for the guys that do it well.

As for what Speedway would come under now...maybe some would say, the same as the Circus, especially after hearing what the November BSPA meeting was like again.

its a sport which can be entertaining, entertainment normally means the outcome is predetermined and done in such a way it adds to the drama (ie pro wrestling, movies, sitcoms, soap opera's etc), speedway CAN be boring, meetings CAN be one sided and pretty much a non contest, sure we have gimmicks to try and keep the score close but the bottom line is its a competitive sport where everyone is out to win even if that means for a large part of the viewing audience the action itself does not hold much interest.

• Like 2

Speedway has always been abused by the tax system , while football has always benefitted , after the Bradford fire , The Taylor report categorised stadiums and demanded safety improvements , Coventry speedway had to close about 400 seats in the grandstand until they could afford a new staircase to comply with the regulations , football stadiums were given tax breaks for any improvements they had to make .!

• Like 2

"Nothing compares to getting a Speedway bike sideways...have complete admiration for the guys that do it well."

Almost nothing....No, you're right nothing beats it, a couple of years since I spread some shale but I can still remmber every detail like it was yesterday.

Well it's a sport as people comete against each for for some kind of reward, but it's also an entertainment otherwise no-one would bother turning out in all weathers, sometimes at great inconvenience and over huge distances, to watch it. Or log on here to discuss it.

Most sport in Hull gets all the help it needs: the council sold off the local, unique (read monoploy holding) telephone & internet company and the proceeds paid for the KCom Stadium for the use of Hull CIty & Hull FC. Hull KR negleteted to join the party as it was beneath them. But the council didn't bother asking the general populace what to spend the windfall on. And despite pleading poverty, the council managed to find £600,000 to pay for some kind of cycle track, a 'road loop' or some such, for serious and leasure cyclists. Can you tell I'm neother interested nor impressed ;) . Next on the list, apparently, is a new arena so the ice hockey team, who have changed their name more than most folk change their socks, can continue to perform badly.

Speedway, preictably, received zip help form the council, financial or othewise, despite acheiving more succes than the 3 ball game teams & the puck hitting team combined :D .

And Belle Vue, and probably (possibly) Swindon, have done extremely blooming well indeed getting a stadium built especially in those location(s) as no way in heck would either project happen in Hull, not even if Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc bank-raolled it :nono:.

Sigh....

• Like 1

Speedway is a Sport but as with any sport without the entertainment value it cannot grow or sustain itself.

Great to see Chris Louis stating he has been inspired by tha NSS and is now going to alter the Ipswich track so as to improve the quality of the racing.

My guess is that football and cricket teams are run by clubs, and therefore considered to be a not-for-profit community thing. Obviously more of a stretch for football clubs nowadays that are owned by investors and the like, but in the 1950s and 60s the ownership would have been more entrenched in the local communities. County cricket clubs remain membership based as far as I know.

Speedway is run by promoters, then-and-now, and ostensibly for profit.

• Like 2