Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Is Speedway Classed As An Entertainment Or A Sport?

It's strange that the watching public in Australia are different to the British fans. As my Bruv says in Oz they are mainly bikies who wouldn't be seen dead filling in a programme.

Edited by Alfred Stopcock
  • Like 1

I'm with Martin Mauger. First did a day's Speedway experience when I was 17 at Rye House and then, due to some serious health issues never got any further. Tried again some 40 years later on a ride and slide day at Coventry at the age of 57. The most fantastic adrenaline rush imaginable. No doubt I was extremely slow but the sensation when opening the throttle on one of these bikes coming out of a bend is something I will never forget (nor the fall I took over the handlebars a couple of hours later - and yes, the track is hard when you land, my bruises were visible for almost a month afterwards). When I got up from the fall I was so pumped I was all for getting back on the bike until the paramedics insisted that I go to the ambulance room for a check up (where the shock set in half an hour later and meant I did not get permission to go again). That feeling of excitement goes some way to explain why riders get back on a bike after a serious injury, or struggle to retire - they simply miss that rush. Entertainment or Sport, not sure but excitement either way.

• Like 6

It's not a sport, usually in sport, barring bad luck the best man or team wins. It's definitely an entertainment, but apart from racing the entertainment needs improving.

Interested article in the latest 'Classic Speedway' Magazine.

During the days of the 'Entertainment Tax' that hit speedway hard during the fifties speedway was apparently classed as an entertainment along with other forms of motor sport, horse and greyhound racing rather than 'sport' on the premise that it was a 'test of speed not skill'. It was also considered to be 'non-live'!

However both football and cricket were considered to be sport and therefore attracted less than half the levy. Football paid 15 per cent compared to speedway's 48 per cent.

Interesting analogy.

It's a competitive sport

It's an entertainment business. The sporting part of it and equipment used means is not a level playing field for it to be considered a genuine sport.

It's an entertainment business. The sporting part of it and equipment used means is not a level playing field for it to be considered a genuine sport.

Well that's cycling out of the Olympics

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10860674/Sir-Dave-Brailsford-hails-Team-Skys-12000-Jaguar-designed-bike-as-a-game-changer.html

and as for bleedin' horse dancing...

To the majority of 'promoters' its a sport, hence they spend hours arranging fixture dates to be able to bring the best guests in, hours more suggesting rules that they have worked out will being them an advantage as they have already spotted the loopholes, and even more time doctoring their tracks to ensure as big a home advantage is achieved as is possible...

All to win a Championship akin in status and kudos to the local Pub Darts Leagues dotted around the country...

Fans, in the main, want to see entertaining Speedway on a track prepared specifically for that task alone, the League ran with integrity and a Championship that carries credibility...

A huge dichotomy that somehow needs bridging I would suggest...

Well i suppose they could divert the funds that were going to some Ethiopian girl band!!!!

And just this morning is see that GB could well be the first Country to recognise jumping around buildings i.e Parcours as a sport!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saG4EdyAgUQ

I am going to see my Solicitor. I never gave permission for my morning excercise to be filmed and put on here. :mad: :mad: :mad:

:nono::rofl: