British Speedway Forum

The Greatest Riders

It's hard to define a speedway rider as the greatest ever.

The sport develops and changes as time progresses. I was once told that a reasonable time span period would be in 20 year eras. In the eras, there would be riders who obviously "move forward' to the next one.

For example, in a 1928-48 period, riders like Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Tommy Price would earn places in the next era -1949-1968.

Again, many like Ove Fundin, Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs would also move forward from the 1949-68 era to the 1969-1998 period.

I hope I make myself clear? I don't intend to do the job myself but it would be interesting to see Top 20 rider lists for all the periods.

Edited by Guest

Easy one that...Ivan Mauger!

• Like 1

It's hard to define a speedway rider as the greatest ever.

The sport develops and changes as time progresses. I was once told that a reasonable time span period would be in 20 year eras. In the eras, there would be riders who obviously "move forward' to the next one.

For example, in a 1928-48 period, riders like Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Tommy Price would earn places in the next era -1949-1968.

Again, many like Ove Fundin, Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs would also move forward from the 1949-68 era to the 1969-1998 period.

I hope I make myself clear? I don't intend to do the job myself but it would be interesting to see Top 20 rider lists for all the periods.

Easy one that...Ivan Mauger!

As an Ove Fundin advocate I would dispute that steve roberts although I do have a strong admiration for the ability of Ivan Mauger. But what I was actually trying to rationale is lists of Top 20 riders in different eras.

The main reason for bringing this topic forward is because so many changes have taken place in the sport over the years - bikes, tracks and riding styles are so different in modern times compared to what the pioneers of the late-1920s early-1930s had available to them.

My top FIVE for three era's the 60s,70s,80s ( i will leave the early era's to Norbold,Gustix,Bobbath,BL, Sam ect) who maybe would of seen them live(.60s)--Fundin,Craven,Mauger,Briggs,,Knutsson. (70s)- Olsen,Mauger,Collins,Michanek,Lee. (80s) Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Agree with you 100% on your 70s and 80s lists sid

Be great to hear what your 60s list would be i recon you could ask 10 different people aces1 and we could all differ that's what makes it a fascinating subject. Edited by Sidney the robin

Briggs 2nd in the 60s though imo.

Funding Briggs Mauger knuttson craven

Really surprising 😅i am a avid Briggo fan so i would have him higher up in a 50s list.

My top FIVE for three era's the 60s,70s,80s ( i will leave the early era's to Norbold,Gustix,Bobbath,BL, Sam ect) who maybe would of seen them live

(.60s)--Fundin,Craven,Mauger,Briggs,,Knutsson.

(70s)- Olsen,Mauger,Collins,Michanek,Lee.

(80s) Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.

​Thank you for the 'taster' start Sidney the robin. A commendable effort and maybe act as a stimulant for more detailed lists.

What I am actually suggesting however is - and I realise what a daunting task this is are -

lists of Top 20 riders in different eras.

1928-48

1949-1968

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Edited by Guest

​Thank you for the 'taster' start Sidney the robin. A commendable effort and maybe act as a stimulant for more detailed lists.

What I am actually seeking however is - and I realise what a daunting task this is - lists of Top 20 riders in different eras.

God that is so tough Gustix😅

99-2018

Rickardsson crump Hancock pedersen woffy gollob adams Loram hampel holder

Only 10 I realise. 20 needs a lot more thought!

My top FIVE for three era's the 60s,70s,80s ( i will leave the early era's to Norbold,Gustix,Bobbath,BL, Sam ect) who maybe would of seen them live(.60s)--Fundin,Craven,Mauger,Briggs,,Knutsson. (70s)- Olsen,Mauger,Collins,Michanek,Lee. (80s) Nielsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Lee,Carter.

Probably my list would be the same Sid!

OK, let's go back a bit...my top 5s (not in order!):

1920s/30s: Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon, Bluey Wilkinson, Jack Milne, Eric Langton

1940s: Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Ron Johnson, Tommy Price, Aub Lawson

1950s: Ronnie Moore, Jack Young, Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Peter Craven

1920s/1930s: Jack Milne, Bluey Wilkinson, Tom Farndon, Lionel Van Praag, Vic Huxley

1940s/1950s: Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Jack Young

1960s/1970s: Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Ole Olsen, Peter Collins, Bjorn Knutsson

1980s/1990s: Hans Nielsen, Erik Gundersen, Bruce Penhall, Michael Lee, Jan O Pedersen

2000s/2010s: Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Tomasz Gollob

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1