British Speedway Forum

The Greatest Riders

I couldn't begin to compile any such list and my favourites are not always who I thought of as a member of the absolute elite. There have been many mentions of Jack Parker, they are well deserved and he covered such a long time span. A name not often mentioned but who also covered a long time span, is Aub Lawson, he was very popular and rode at the top level for so many years. I remember those two because they were such good battlers, often the multi-award winners were undoubtedly skillful but rather clinical and predictable, whereas I liked to see a good scrapper (only on the track of course).

• Like 1

Guest compost

Top 20 for the pre-war era based on a combination of average from Official matches (League and Nat Trophy plus EDL KO Cup) and % unbeaten would be -

Jack Milne
Wilbur Lamoreaux
Eric Langton
Jack Parker
Vic Huxley
Bill Kitchen
Bluey Wilkinson
Dick Case
Ginger Lees
Cordy Milne
Max Grosskreutz
Tom Farndon
Joe Abbott
Frank Charles
Lionel Van Praag
Syd Jackson
Frank Arthur
Tommy Croombs
Jack Ormston
Sprouts Elder

Notes : Elder actually came in 11th but only participated in such meetings in one season hence the demotion. Both the Milne's plus Lamoreaux and Frank Arthur also competed in far fewer matches than the other 15 riders so may be in an artificially high positions. Reserves would be Ron Johnson and Wal Phillips. Details for this era are incomplete.

1920s/1930s: Jack Milne, Bluey Wilkinson, Tom Farndon, Lionel Van Praag, Vic Huxley

1940s/1950s: Ove Fundin, Vic Duggan, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Jack Young

1960s/1970s: Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Ole Olsen, Peter Collins, Bjorn Knutsson

1980s/1990s: Hans Nielsen, Erik Gundersen, Bruce Penhall, Michael Lee, Jan O Pedersen

2000s/2010s: Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Tomasz Gollob

All the best

Rob

No fundin in the 60s70s?

Gollob ahead of woffy?

No fundin in the 60s70s?

Gollob ahead of woffy?

Each rider only listed once.

Yes, Gollob still ahead of Woffy at the moment - that may change in a year or two!!

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

A bit of a marathon i know but here are my top 20 for FOUR of my favourite era's the 60s,70s,80s, 2000s I have bound to have missed endless riders out but here we go.(no order) 60S) Briggs,Fundin,Mauger,Moore,Craven, Olsen,Knutsson,Sjosten,B.Jansson,Wilson,Nordin!Harrefeldt,Nygren,E.Boocock,N.Boocock,Plechanov,Waloszek,Broadbank,Airey,N.Hunter. 70S) Olsen,Mauger,Michanek,Collins,Lee,Louis,Ray Wilson,Ashby,Simmons,T.Jansson,E.Boocock,Crump,Autrey,Morton,Plech,Briggs,Sanders,Persson,Boulger,Jessup, (80S) Nielsen,Penhall,Lee,Morton,Carter,Gundersen,Sigalos,Sanders,S.Moran,K.Moran,Ermolenko,Petersen,Knudsen,Crump,Muller,L.Collins,JOPedersen,King,Jessup,Tatum, - 2000S)- Crump,Rickardsson,Woffinden,Gollob,Pedersen,Hampel,Doyle,Holder,Iversen,Sayutdinov,Hancock,Adams,Loram,Hamill,Sullivan,Zmarzlik,Jonsson,Ward,Protasiewicz,Holta.

Edited by Sidney the robin

​Thank you for the 'taster' start Sidney the robin. A commendable effort and maybe act as a stimulant for more detailed lists.

What I am actually suggesting however is - and I realise what a daunting task this is are -

lists of Top 20 riders in different eras.

1928-48

1949-1968

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Thank you everyone who has contributed. There are some fascinating lists but sadly not composing within the tabulation that I thought provided the main strategic speedway eras. Under that structure I was hoping to compose fuller tables for these eras based on BSF member lists. I have no doubt that I can still use lists already provided and provide eventually a grand finale of what has been posted by members. Please see the quote in regard to what I have suggested as the baseline for a 'grand final'!

​Thank you for the 'taster' start Sidney the robin. A commendable effort and maybe act as a stimulant for more detailed lists.

What I am actually suggesting however is - and I realise what a daunting task this is are -

lists of Top 20 riders in different eras.

1928-48

1949-1968

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Thank you everyone who has contributed. There are some fascinating lists but sadly not composing within the tabulation that I thought provided the main strategic speedway eras. Under that structure I was hoping to compose fuller tables for these eras based on BSF member lists. I have no doubt that I can still use lists already provided and provide eventually a grand finale of what has been posted by members. Please see the quote in regard to what I have suggested as the baseline for a 'grand final'!

Here is my list for the period 1928-1949:

(1) Jack Parker

(2) Lionel Van Praag

(3) Jack Milne

(4) Arthur 'Bluey' Wilkinson

(5) Eric Langton

(6) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(7) Cordy Milne

(8) Vic Huxley

(9) Bill Kitchen

(10) Tom Farndon

(11) Vic Duggan

(12) Tommy Price

(13) Ron Johnson

(14) Dickie Case

(15) Jack Ormston

(16) Frank Charles

(17) Ginger Lees

(18) Aub Lawson

(19) Harold 'Tiger' Stevenson

(20) Lloyd 'Sprouts" Elder

Eras to come -

1949-1968

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Edited by Guest

No fundin in the 60s70s?

Gollob ahead of woffy?

I wondered that too? Even though each rider is only listed once, Fundin won ONE World Title in the 50's, and FOUR in the 60's! I would have included him in the latter... From the 40's/50's, Brian Crutcher wouldn't have been a bad replacement for Fundin,

Steve

Sorry Gustix sure you will understand great thread,😀 my favourite and i think is my top five of all time is Fundin,Mauger,Nielsen,Briggs,Olsen, happy with that.🤓

Top 20 88present

T rick

Nielsen

Crump

Hancock

N pedersen

Woffy

Gollob

Jan o

Hamill

Ermolenko

Jonsson

Loram

Hampel

Holder

Emil

Adams

Ward

Havelock

Knudsen

Doyle

69-88

Mauger

Nielsen

Olsen

Penhall

Gundersen

Collins

Lee

Michanek

Jessup

Carter

Briggs

Simmons

S moran

S sjosten

Jan o

Sigalos

Morton

Sanders

Knudsen

B jansson

Top 20 88present

T rick

Nielsen

Crump

Hancock

N pedersen

Woffy

Gollob

Jan o

Hamill

Ermolenko

Jonsson

Loram

Hampel

Holder

Emil

Adams

Ward

Havelock

Knudsen

Doyle

69-88

Mauger

Nielsen

Olsen

Penhall

Gundersen

Collins

Lee

Michanek

Jessup

Carter

Briggs

Simmons

S moran

S sjosten

Jan o

Sigalos

Morton

Sanders

Knudsen

B jansson

A nice lot of names...not detail how many there are please?

Also, if you have a moment could you please explain further exactly what is being defined.

PS: I see four names from the end a listing for Morton? Is that dear old Wal by any chance? Or the 1950s Belle Vue rider Val?

Edited by Guest

There are 20 on each list.

I'm not sure what you mean what is being defined? The top 20 for the stated eras.

Yes, I consider Wal Morton from the 50s to be one of the top 20 riders from 69-88?

For clarity, at the risk of sparking a sid/iris debate, I consider chris better than dave.

And the Collins is Peter not Stephen.

Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 1

I wondered that too? Even though each rider is only listed once, Fundin won ONE World Title in the 50's, and FOUR in the 60's! I would have included him in the latter... From the 40's/50's, Brian Crutcher wouldn't have been a bad replacement for Fundin,

Steve

Fundin's peak years were '56 to '63, so he's on the cusp. More world titles in the 60s maybe - but, on the other hand, he was domestically at his best in the 50s. Bjorn Knutsson was a better rider than Crutcher, so I'm keeping my choices are they are.

If there was another spot for 40s/50s, I think I'd plump for Graham Warren ahead of Brian Crutcher.

All the best

Rob

Top 20 88present

T rick

Nielsen

Crump

Hancock

N pedersen

Woffy

Gollob

Jan o

Hamill

Ermolenko

Jonsson

Loram

Hampel

Holder

Emil

Adams

Ward

Havelock

Knudsen

Doyle

69-88

Mauger

Nielsen

Olsen

Penhall

Gundersen

Collins

Lee

Michanek

Jessup

Carter

Briggs

Simmons

S moran

S sjosten

Jan o

Sigalos

Morton

Sanders

Knudsen

B jansson

A nice lot of names...not detail how many there are lease?

Also, if you have a moment could you please explain further exactly what is being defined.

PS: I see four names from the end a listing for Morton? Is that dear old Wal by any chance? Or the 1950s Belle Vue rider Val?

There are 20 on each list.

I'm not sure what you mean what is being defined? The top 20 for the stated eras.

Yes, I consider Wal Morton from the 50s to be one of the top 20 riders from 69-88?

For clarity, at the risk of sparking a sid/iris debate, I consider chris better than dave.

And the Collins is Peter not Stephen.

My apologies. At the moment I am minus my spectacles after an accident. I can now see the years as you have mentioned. Also, it was kind of you to define which Morton you refer and also the first name of the person named as Collins. For a moment I thought "can that be Al Collins"?

Just a small further query - why is one nomination given as a first name and not a surname?

Edited by Guest

Briggs 2nd in the 60s though imo.

Funding Briggs Mauger knuttson craven

How much are you paying Briggo whka1? :o;)

Just thought I'd inject a little humour...... :)

Being a Briggo fan he was never the No 1 of any of the era's the 50s,60s,70s,god it was really competitive yet he could beat anybody on any given day.) hence his four world titles and 72 could of been his to. ??😜