British Speedway Forum

The Greatest Riders

Being a Briggo fan he was never the No 1 of any of the era's the 50s,60s,70s,god it was really competitive yet he could beat anybody on any given day.) hence his four world titles and 72 could of been his to. ??

Would have been had it not been for bloody Persson - I've never forgiven him for that.

I've watched it a number of times and I still think he did for Briggo.

Remember Briggo had already beaten the eventual Champion Ivan Mauger.

• Like 1

A bit of a marathon i know but here are my top 20 for FOUR of my favourite era's the 60s,70s,80s, 2000s I have bound to have missed endless riders out but here we go.(no order)

60S) Briggs,Fundin,Mauger,Moore,Craven,Olsen,Knutsson,Sjosten,B.Jansson,Wilson,Nordin!Harrefeldt,Nygren,E.Boocock,N.Boocock,Plechanov,Waloszek,Broadbank,Airey,N.Hunter.

70S) Olsen,Mauger,Michanek,Collins,Lee,Louis,RayWilson,Ashby,Simmons,T.Jansson,E.Boocock,Crump,Autrey,Morton,Plech,Briggs,Sanders,Persson, Boulger, Jessup,

(80S) Nielsen,Penhall,Lee,Morton,Carter,Gundersen,Sigalos,Sanders,S.Moran,K.Moran,Ermolenko,Petersen,Knudsen,Crump,Muller,L.Collins,JOPedersen,King,Jessup,Tatum, -

2000S) Crump,Rickardsson,Woffinden,Gollob,Pedersen,Hampel,Doyle,Holder,Iversen,Sayutdinov,Hancock,Adams,Loram,Hamill,Sullivan,Zmarzlik,Jonsson,Ward,Protasiewicz,Holta.

Some well thought out names there Sidney the robin. Interesting to see Egon Muller among your 80s list. Good one mate.

Would have been had it not been for bloody Persson - I've never forgiven him for that.

Yes WK he beat Ivan easily Ole had fell i believe Barry might of won that meeting with thirteen points.All in hindsight i suppose but Barry must of thought of that 72 final time/time again later on in life one that got away Great rider though.! Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Top 20 for the pre-war era based on a combination of average from Official matches (League and Nat Trophy plus EDL KO Cup) and % unbeaten would be -

Jack Milne

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Eric Langton

Jack Parker

Vic Huxley

Bill Kitchen

Bluey Wilkinson

Dick Case

Ginger Lees

Cordy Milne

Max Grosskreutz

Tom Farndon

Joe Abbott

Frank Charles

Lionel Van Praag

Syd Jackson

Frank Arthur

Tommy Croombs

Jack Ormston

Sprouts Elder

Notes : Elder actually came in 11th but only participated in such meetings in one season hence the demotion. Both the Milne's plus Lamoreaux and Frank Arthur also competed in far fewer matches than the other 15 riders so may be in an artificially high positions. Reserves would be Ron Johnson and Wal Phillips. Details for this era are incomplete.

An interesting list. And the inclusion of the American riders is more than justified - the lists are designed as being 'worldwide'.

While Jack and Cordy Milne and Wilbur Lamoreaux did not appear in the UK until the mid-1930s, they were already recogned on what was then the world stage and raced with distinction in both the USA and Australia for several seasons before being enticed to the UK.

Bernie was my favourite Heathen but he should have gone in that heat, no question

• Like 1

Bernie was my favourite Heathen but he should have gone in that heat, no question

Was there a gap Bruno ? was Briggo caught in no man's land. Edited by Sidney the robin

Here is my list for the period 1949-68:

(1) Ove Fundin

(2) Ivan Mauger

(3) Barry Briggs

(4) Vic Duggan

(5) Ronnie Moore

(6) Jack Parker

(7) Tommy Price

(8) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(9) Peter Craven

(10) Graham Warren

(11) Aub Lawson

(12) Norman Parker

(13) Alan Hunt

(14) Olle Nygren

(15) Bjorn Knutsson

(16) Brian Crutcher

(17) Dick Bradley

(18) Geoff Mardon

(19) Arthur Forrest

(20) Ron Johnston

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

::: SPECIAL MESSAGE - PLEASE NOTE: This list for the period 1949-68 has been revised and updated .The new version is message 71 dated December 17, 2016.

Edited by Guest

(1) Ove Fundin

(2) Ivan Mauger

(3) Barry Briggs

(4) Vic Duggan

(5) Ronnie Moore

(6) Jack Parker

(7) Tommy Price

(8) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(9) Peter Craven

(10) Graham Warren

(11) Aub Lawson

(12) Norman Parker

(13) Alan Hunt

(14) Olle Nygren

(15) Bjorn Knutsson

(16) Brian Crutcher

(17) Dick Bradley

(18) Geoff Mardon

(19) Arthur Forrest

(20) Ron Johnston

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Great list but Craven could he be higher.?

Was there a gap Bruno ? was Briggo caught in no man's land.

I don't think so Sid, all about opinions though I suppose. Then again on another point what if Bernie had won the run off. How would that have changed his career. Would he have been regarded as the worst ever world champion. Great rider though he was! Interesting eh

I don't think so Sid, all about opinions though I suppose. Then again on another point what if Bernie had won the run off. How would that have changed his career. Would he have been regarded as the worst ever world champion. Great rider though he was! Interesting eh

I would be bald now had he won the run-off. I would have torn my bloody hair out.

Sorry Bruno but I thought he was a dirty sod - and that night he proved it.

(1) Ove Fundin

(2) Ivan Mauger

(3) Barry Briggs

(4) Vic Duggan

(5) Ronnie Moore

(6) Jack Parker

(7) Tommy Price

(8) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(9) Peter Craven

(10) Graham Warren

(11) Aub Lawson

(12) Norman Parker

(13) Alan Hunt

(14) Olle Nygren

(15) Bjorn Knutsson

(16) Brian Crutcher

(17) Dick Bradley

(18) Geoff Mardon

(19) Arthur Forrest

(20) Ron Johnston

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Mauger above Briggs, Moore, Craven in that era?

Hunt above knuttson?

No plechanov??

(1) Ove Fundin

(2) Ivan Mauger

(3) Barry Briggs

(4) Vic Duggan

(5) Ronnie Moore

(6) Jack Parker

(7) Tommy Price

(8) Wilbur Lamoreaux

(9) Peter Craven

(10) Graham Warren

(11) Aub Lawson

(12) Norman Parker

(13) Alan Hunt

(14) Olle Nygren

(15) Bjorn Knutsson

(16) Brian Crutcher

(17) Dick Bradley

(18) Geoff Mardon

(19) Arthur Forrest

(20) Ron Johnston

Eras to come -

1969-1988

1989- to present times

Great list but Craven could he be higher.?

What are your feelings on my rating for Peter Craven then Sidney the robin? I would be most interested in your point of view.

Edited by Guest

I'm pretty 0atriotic, but Geoff Mardon making the list ahead of jack young!??

Bit like saying Mike bast is one of the top 20 of all time?

I'm pretty patriotic, but Geoff Mardon making the list ahead of jack young!??

Bit like saying Mike bast is one of the top 20 of all time?

Mauger above Briggs, Moore, Craven in that era?

Hunt above knuttson?

No plechanov??

That's a good point in regard to Ivan Mauger. While he was winning major events in the 1949-68 period, his major successes did come in the era after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Mauger

I assume you saw both Alan Hunt and Bjorn Knutsson, so respect your comment. I still feel justified in the Hunt placement - he was a really fiery determined rider. Not a lot to chose from them but on my mental casting vote I gave Hunt the verdict.

Igor Plechanov was on an original draft list of mine - but bear in mind this list spans 20 seasons (back to a 1949 start). Again I had to make a 'harsh' decision and in the end left him out of the list.

Edited by Guest

Your 1949-68 list seems a bit biased towards the earlier part of the period I would say, gustix, though strangely, Ivan Mauger gets in at no. 2. I think I would definitely include Nigel Boocock and Ken McKinlay in that list, possibly Sverre Harrfeldt. I would be a bit unsure about including Wilbur Lamoreaux and Graham Warren, good as they were, they only had a very limited time at the top. Dick Bradley would probably be the other one I'd leave out for Harrfeldt. Also I think I'd put in Ron How rather than Alan Hunt.

Oh yes, and I agree Plechanov rather than Mardon.

Oh yes, and how could anyone leave Jack Young out!?

Edited by norbold