British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

15th May 1982 Belle Vue V Reading (koc)

Can anyone confirm the line-ups for both teams? Reading walked out after heat 10 so having trouble working out who rode where.

Speedway Star reports Gresham as riding in heats 8 and 9 but it appears he is riding at #4 or #5, so not sure what's going on there. Can anyone confirm these heat details:

Ht 01: Collins, Ravn, Preston, Stancl, 71.4

Ht 02: McMillan, Pyeatt, Hunt, P. Carr, 70.4

Ht 03: Collins, L. Carr, Grahame, Gresham (exc), 71.0

Ht 04: Morton, P. Carr, Pyeatt, Schwartz (ef), 70.0

Ht 05: Collins, Preston, L. Carr, Stancl, 70.0

Ht 06: Schwartz, L. Carr, Ravn, Hunt, 70.0

Ht 07: Morton, Gresham, P. Carr, Grahame, 71.6

Ht 08: Ravn, McMillan, Pyeatt, Gresham, 73.8

Ht 09: Schwartz, L. Carr, Collins, Gresham (ef), 73.8

Ht 10: Morton, Ravn, Schwartz, Pyeatt, 74.0

Ht 11: Morton, McMillan, 74.0

Ht 12: Ravn, L. Carr, 76.8

Ht 13: Collins, Morton, 72.4

• Like 1

Regretably my original programme for this meeting is long since disposed of so I can only offer a combination of educated guess and (hazy) memory. Also probably not very much help because I'm sure you've already deduced this much already but I'd suggest that the line up would have been as follows;

1. R/R Larry Ross

2. Peter Ravn

3. Chris Morton

4. Louis Carr

5. Peter Collins

6. Peter Carr

7. Jim McMillan

1. Ron Preston

2. Jiri Stancl

3. Bobby Schwartz

4. Steve Gresham

5. Alan/Andy Grahame (G for Jan Andersson)

6. Tim Hunt

7. Denny Pyeatt

Alan rather than Andy Grahame the more likely guest. Both Grahame brothers were 8.50+ heatleaders at the time whereas Gresham was more a 7.50 second string as far as I can recall.

With regards to Gresham appearing in heat 8 I guess that TS or misprint are the likely explanation.

Edited by Tkdandy

I assume it is John grahame.

With Preston the guest for Jan Andersson.

Must be a misprint in either 8 or 9, as gresham couldn't take ts rides in both.

I was there and have completed programme.

John Grahame was at 4 and Gresham at 5.

Heat 8 is a misprint - I have Preston as a T/S.

Incidentally Rob Maxfield was the named no 8 for BV.

From 'Tears & Glory'

"Before the league campaign got under way seriously, Racers experienced cup action with a tough tie against Belle Vue. The first leg is not remembered with any fondness by Reading fans. On a very wet track, with rain continuing to fall and lightning nearby, the referee and home team were determined to complete the match. The tension heightened after a clash between Belle Vue team manager Ian Thomas and Steve Gresham. After a racing incident Thomas approached Gresham on track and received a kick in the testicles! A few races later there was a confrontation between Gresham and his team mate Bobby Schwartz. After ten heats Racers trailed 42-18 and race times were seven seconds outside the track record. John Smith pulled the team out and the Aces rounded off the meeting with three unopposed 5-nils."

• Like 3

Brilliant, thanks arnieg. Were/are you an aces fan or a racers fan?

Come on !!!!! he would hardly spend years on the complete " Racers " story if he was an " Aces " fan ;) Suggest you buy the book !

• Like 1