British Speedway Forum

Is anyone travelling from the Midlands? Bryn was a friend and I'm stuck for transport. Petrol costs sharing of course.

I am. Drop me a PM.

• Like 2

I don't come onto the forum as much as I used to, so I've just seen this sad news.

I used to chat with Byrn most nights on the ferry back from the island and as everyone has commented,he really was a very special person.

His knowledge of speedway must surely have been second go none.

And despite all the troubles that speedway faced, he remained so positive and had an enthusiasm that was almost infectious.

Good night Byrn, sleep well.

My thoughts go to his family at this difficult time.

Steve

• Like 3

I hope Bryns funeral today and meet up afterwards were a fitting tribute to the great man.

Were there a lot of ex Hackney/Crayford people in attendnce?

I hope Bryns funeral today and meet up afterwards were a fitting tribute to the great man.

Were there a lot of ex Hackney/Crayford people in attendnce?

There were indeed some great tributes in what was a really good service. A good number of people, at a guess 100-120 and the service was a fitting send off to the old boy

• Like 7

Just got back from the funeral. It was a splendid service attended by a large number of friends and family; it was standing room only in the chapel.

At the wake I had an engaging conversation with some insiders but that's for another day.

For me, a sad day had a happy outcome. Bryn managed to bring two "senior" fans together even after his demise. A big thank you to Fourentee for the lift. Without you I wouldn't have been able to attend. Added to that, I have a new forum friend.

Rest well Bryn.

• Like 7

Chris/FD

Thanks for the info. Were any of the old Hackney/Crayford promoters there Terry Russell/Dave Pavitt/ Pete Thorogood etc.

Thanks

VV

Chris/FD

Thanks for the info. Were any of the old Hackney/Crayford promoters there Terry Russell/Dave Pavitt/ Pete Thorogood etc.

Thanks

VV

I wouldn't know either way on that one. But there was certainly a wreath with the Hackney Hawks emblem (and, indeed, a wreath of leeks!).

To echo earlier comments, a 100-plus attendance of whom 20-plus were standing. A great pleasure, albeit on a sad occasion, for me to make the acquaintance of False dawn and also to meet up again and chew the cud with Jeff Scott and Lucifer Sam.

The service itself featured tributes from daughter Carys and her husband and also from one of Bryn's longstanding friends.

Entrance music: Groovin' with Mr Bloe -- Mr Bloe.

Departure music: Magnificent Seven theme.

Music during the service: Hymns and Arias -- Max Boyce (no surprises on that one) and Don't Worry, Be Happy which Bryn (unusually, given his generally encyclopaedic music knowledge) apparently credited wrongly to Bob Marley rather than Bobby McFerrin!

The order of service also featured a number of Hammers action shots by Mike Patrick.

In all, a very fine send-off for such a distinguished servant of the sport.

• Like 5

Barry Thomas has just sold his Crayford race jacket with proceeds to go to the Ben fund, in memory of Bryn,for £771.

• Like 9

Barry Thomas has just sold his Crayford race jacket with proceeds to go to the Ben fund, in memory of Bryn,for £771.

Fair play to him

A tremendous gesture

• Like 1

Top effort. Loving that.