British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andy1967

Stoke Potters 2017

How about Lee Dicken?

He could be a good addition to the Stoke Dad's Army platoon.

dads_army_t_shirt_-_were_doomed_cu.jpg

And I'm sure they will unearth some young lad from the Outer Hebrides or some such place who will be the token young rider.

They had Lewis Millar last year who survived a couple of meetings before being given the boot.

I'm beginning to think that Stoke think that just because the average age of the spectators is going up, they need to keep upping the riders' age in an attempt to keep up.

Don't tell them your name, Pike.

Age is an artificial barrier in speedway. It's actually a form of discrimination if applied. And consider this; in the late 1940s, Tom Oakley and Harold McNaughton were inter very late thirties - both I think were 38 - when they started in speedway. Tom and Harold went on to ride for National League Division One sides while when riding for Division Two clubs both were capped for England inn that league's international series.

​Even more - Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton who started their careers circa 1932 were still racing and scoring well until about 1964 when both has long passed their 50th birthdays.

Edited by Guest

Age is an artificial barrier in speedway. It's actually a form of discrimination if applied. And consider this; in then late 1940s, Tom Oakley and Harold McNaughton were inter very late thirties - both I think were 38 - when they started in speedway. Tom and Harold went on to ride for National League Division One sides while when riding for Division Two clubs both were capped for England inn that league's international series.

​Even more - Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton who started their careers circa 1932 were still racing and scoring well until about 1964 when both has long passed their 50th birthdays.

Aha, as I suspected.................gustix is really Malcolm Vasey!

Or if he isn't Malcolm, then he must surely be his brother, Royston.

:t:

• Like 1

No prizes for guessing the music that will be played at Stoke when the riders march out on Parade lol.

Greg Hancock would be good if they can fit him in.?

The fact is whilst the NL is for the development of riders both young and old the first thing Stoke must do is put together a team that can be competitive this season. They are a club with dwindling support / visiting travelling fans for reasons listed endlessly on this thread and need to complete a side that is able to compete for honours if they are to have any chances of survival.

As a side project they need to look at ways of developing younger riders and attracting them into the sport / through the ranks. Its no secret that the last good young rider Stoke signed was Danny Phillips and he has stagnated since joining the Potters but for this season and beyond Stoke need to build a competitive team regardless of age otherwise they will become another name in the history books.

From the SGB/BSPA website:

STOKE have made David Wallinger their third signing for the 2017 National League season.

Wallinger, who is set to line up at reserve for the Potters, made a return to the sport for a spell with Buxton this year.
Promoter Dave Tattum said: “We are delighted to have secured David’s signature for next season after fighting off several clubs who also wanted his services in 2017.
“We feel that David is on a bargain average and one that he can most definitely improve on, and that he will be an extremely good reserve for us.”

Hopefully all the teams can produce competitive sides ,..that will give good race meetings across the board

• Like 1

No prizes for guessing the music that will be played at Stoke when the riders march out on Parade lol.

Well, if they play any music at all then it would be a vast improvement.

The last meeting that I went to, these was no music whatsoever so perhaps they hadn't paid the PRS fee or what have you.

c9e0f9fe-151f-42f3-aace-ea981dffadb2_zps

So perhaps Malcolm and the boys could gather on the centre mud before the hostilities begin and belt out a few bars of Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler.

Perhaps Mr Tattum could get his organ out and tickle his ivories?

What's not to like?

Edited by Little Thumper

Do you really think that the sight of Mr Tattum's organ will do any good to the average Stoke fan's dicky tickers?

Mitchell Davey has joined the Potters as the clubs new number 1 linking up with Luke Priest, Tony Atkin and David Wallinger

• Like 2

Mitchell Davey has joined the Potters as the clubs new number 1 linking up with Luke Priest, Tony Atkin and David Wallinger

Good grief, Stoke are getting a half decent team together here!

And with our friend from down under only being 26, it reduces the average rider age a tad.

I'm not quite sure where they are finding the money from but perhaps they have managed to secure some sponsorship?

• Like 2

Decent signing that and creates a useful heat leader trio that should be able to perform both home an away.

That means no Danny Phillips. I wonder where he's going.

About time really Danny has great potential but has stagnated badly at Stoke. He was on a par with Matt Williamson when he first signed and now the gap between them is huge. Also add in the number of meetings he will miss when riding for Newcastle however i think he would fit into both Kent & Lakeside but my sneaky suspicion is that he will form part of a vert dangerous looking Belle Vuentry side

From the SGB/BSPA website:
DAVEY HEADS TO STOKE

FRIDAY DECEMBER 30, 2016

davey_mitchell.jpg

STOKE have moved to sign Mitchell Davey as their new No.1 for the 2017 National League campaign.

The 26-year-old made a successful return to racing with Coventry Storm this year and is also set to line up for Edinburgh in the SGB Championship next season.

Potters boss Malcolm Vasey said: “This is a brilliant capture for Stoke and gives us a very competitive line-up.

“With our top three of Mitchell, Luke (Priest) and Tony (Atkin) combined with the high-impact reserve which we believe David Wallinger will be, the team is now coming together very well and there is no reason why we cannot be a force in the National League in 2017.”

Edited by Guest