British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

There is a lot of interesting debate in regard to problems facing UK speedway at the present time. The indications from these Posts are that the problems are on-going.

I would be interested to read comments from other members as to when they think speedway's present ills started - and what is the main problem?

IMO the first chinks were in the mid-1950s when -

::: the composition of how many riders comprised a team.

::: the introduction of the guest rider system.

​::: the end of the 14 heat match format and disappearance to a very large extent of second-half racing.

::: I have several other opinions and I will put these forward if this thread evolves in a constructive and debatable manner.

Edited by Guest

While I agree with the 50s remarks, there are many other factors, many of which started to come in also in the 50s, = People getting TVs and having more access to other leisure pursuits and holidays, tracks starting to move to areas inaccessible by public transport and eventually a lack of clubs altogether. In those days there were too many riders and not enough clubs, how times have changed! These days there are too many clubs that aren't really financially viable, the situation with guests, doubling up and tactical rides are all attempts to make those clubs fairly competitive with the wealthier clubs, it makes the sport unfathomable to non-regulars and frankly reduces it to circus status. You should have a declared team and if any are missing they should be replaced only by riders who are unattached to other clubs (with the exception of the NL). Promotion and relegation is a good move, as the PL simply existed on it's own for too many riders and supporters (the ambition should always be to get to the top). The National League has too many riders making a career of it and apparently making money, aside from 1 rider coach per team, the rest of the riders should be of less than a certain number of seasons experience.

• Like 2

There is a lot of interesting debate in regard to problems facing UK speedway at the present time. The indications from these Posts are that the problems are on-going.

I would be interested to read comments from other members as to when they think speedway's present ills started - and what is the main problem?

IMO the first chink was in the mid-1950s when -

(a) the composition of how many riders comprised a team.

( B) the introduction of the guest rider system.

​© the end of the 14 heat match format and disappearance to a very large extent of second-half racing.

::: I have several other opinions and I will put these forward if this thread evolves in a constructive and debatable manner.

I guess that each generation will have their particular views on the decline of speedway in this country. I'm fortunate that I was able to enjoy the seventies when speedway attracted good media coverage and Britain/England ruled the world. Personally I feel that by the late eighties the decline started to be noticeable with declining crowds (although looked at from today's perspective would have been most welcome!) and the structure of league racing in this country.

• Like 2

This is a very difficult question to answer.

Even in the seventies, it was clear that things were not quite as good as they once were and by 1986 the Shay at Halifax had gone and the following year, Bamforth sold the Cathedral of Speedway, Hyde Road.

During the late eighties many people, including myself, walked away from the sport as they could not bear to watch the long, drawn-out death of their great love, speedway.

Speedway's decline has been gradual and fairly predictable.

The sad thing for me is that it didn't take the Brain of Britain to work out where speedway would be in thirty years if they didn't take positive and dynamic action.

For whatever reason, the bods who have been in charge of British speedway for the past thirty years have done little to develop the sport of speedway and seem to have been quite happy to each plough their own little furrows and pocket the cash when the going was good.

Speedway isn't quite dead but it needs someone brave enough to apply the defibrillator.

• Like 2

One could see the gradual demise of the sport during the eighties however i was enjoying the fortunes of my own team (Oxford) who were beating all comers and provided me with many happy memories...wouldn't have been the same for others what with the upper league operating with ten teams and it was becoming monotonous watching the same teams.

A further thought in regard to possible reasons for the decline: the methods now used to construct teams under the equalisation system. I loved the'good old days' when teams were 'genuine clubs and survived on a season-on-season basis.

How speedway can expect to be taken seriously when a rider can lose a team place because his average iS TOO HIGH and be replaced by one with a lower average just does not make sense to me.

In theory a rider can be forced into a premature retirement because they are TOO GOOD and there is no place for him at another club! Or am I missing the point here?

Edited by Guest

A further thought in regard to possible reasons for the decline: the methods now used to construct teams under the equalisation system. I loved the'good old days' when teams were 'genuine clubs and survived on a season-on-season basis.

How speedway can expect to be taken seriously when a rider can lose a team place because his average iS TOO HIGH and be replaced by one with a lower average just does not make sense to me.

In theory a rider can be forced into a premature retirement because they are TOO GOOD and there is no place for him at another club! Or am I missing the point here?

Yes I'm with the late Bernard Crapper with this one. Lack of continuity and not knowing from season to season who'd be riding for you and riders were often included in a team because their average fitted...not necessarily based on ability.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I suppose the point is, do you want a handful of clubs or the current number (even if most of them are lame ducks). I often think British riders should be unrestricted and overseas applicants should be allocated by a committee to bolster the weaker clubs, rather than clubs dealing direct with them (yes I remember rider control but this would be slightly different).

I believe that there was a step function in lower speedway crowds in 1956 when all motor sport was stopped because of the Suez crisis. If I remember correctly during the time motor sport was banned my local team, Poole had a greyhound track inserted in the stadium where the speedway track once was. I cant remember quite how long speedway was suspended but Poole certainly lost great chunks of the crowd and they never returned due to a variety of factors, may of which are listed above.

Incidentally for those that go to Poole the old 'safety' fence can still be seen in places, bend three for instance, on the outside of the dog track. It consisted of quarter inch steel plate firmly anchred and braced on the spectator side. Good for the fans but not so safe for the riders.

For me it was Edinburgh winning the Premier League in 2003 , the speedway world never quite recovered from that and the smug levels emanating out of Scotland's capital city only increased in the following years .

• Like 6

For me it was Edinburgh winning the Premier League in 2003 , the speedway world never quite recovered from that and the smug levels emanating out of Scotland's capital city only increased in the following years .

It didn't take long did it? Just eleven posts and the thread is reduced to nonsense.

• Like 1

I'd suggest 1930/31 as the initial novelty wore off

Second decline after post-war boom circa 1951 (the year Southampton and Sheffield shut up mid-season)

The third and longest began to gather momentum circa 1982/83 (The Sunday People expose in 82 followed by the loss of Leicester, Perry Barr, White City and Crayford at the end of 1983)

The first and third coincided with periods of economic depression and the second was exacerbated by post war austerity, notably the entertainment tax.

The beginning was the entertainment tax after WW2

The loss of Wembley Stadium and the losing of the World Finals there. A share out of the World Final profits kept many a club in profit

Not knowing what the teams were, sometimes not until you got to the stadium

Too many riders riding for teams they had nothing to do with

Riders changing teams at the end of the season

Riders doubling up between leagues