British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

Tac subs may have been around for donkeys years...

Guests may have been around for donkeys years too...

However in this modern IT age with 24/7 instantaneous media outlets both would look ludicrous to any right minded 'generic sports fan'. And that is the type of person Speedway needs to attend..

A good few sports have 'bonus points', eg Rugby and Cricket. But that is for achieving things, they dont get the opportunity to improve their position artificially just because they are doing badly during a competition....

Years ago you turned up at the track and found out that your favourite rider wasnt there and was replaced by a guest, or you sometimes turned up to find one of the teams with more guests than regulars...

Bottom line was, you were in, you had paid, so just got on with it, even though you were peed off..

Nowadays we know 24 hours before a meeting who isnt there, how many guests are in attendance and right up until meeting time we are informed via social media (officially or unofficially) of any further changes..

Meaning, (for me at least, and maybe a good few others?), that I will give any such 'Mickey Mouse', 'Select Team' meetings a miss...

Nonsense rules are obviously not the sole reason for Speedways decline

But they certainly dont help reverse the trend...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

No politics please it's moving away from the concept of speedway surviving in a changing world. We all want the same outcome it's just how we get there.

No politics please it's moving away from the concept of speedway surviving in a changing world. We all want the same outcome it's just how we get there.

If you are referring to my comment on having a "referendum", it was a joking way of making the point that if a clear message was to come from supporters maybe the powers that be will take notice.

If someone has the time and know how it must be possible to get a consensus of opinion on a list of priorities of what should be done to ensure speedways survival that the majority can agree on.

I can see your point. That's what I intend to do. Set up an organisation with a constitution and agenda and then put the idea's out to consulultation. That's what I'm trying to do get some idea's and the more radical the better. This forum is just the start with land prices shooting up speedway without spectators is a non-stater.

That's what it's all about - opinions.

Do you have a problem with that?

Opinions are fine but you have to be realistic. What you are championing the removal of ie (tactical substitute / tactical ride ) has been a part and parcel of the sport as quoted since 1955, and I would guess most in the sport believe it to be necessary.There are rules in the sport I don't like but if we all stopped going because we disliked one rule in the speedway rule book then the sport would not be in decline but dead.

• Like 1

Opinions are fine but you have to be realistic. What you are championing the removal of ie (tactical substitute / tactical ride ) has been a part and parcel of the sport as quoted since 1955, and I would guess most in the sport believe it to be necessary.There are rules in the sport I don't like but if we all stopped going because we disliked one rule in the speedway rule book then the sport would not be in decline but dead.

Had it ever occurred to you that perhaps the Tactical Ride is responsible for more than just me not going? There will doubtless be other Rules that some folk can't stomach and refuse to put up with.

I would bet I am not the only one.

The fact it has been going since 1955 - does not, necessarily, make it right.

Are tactical substitutes relevant when our National Stadium is stuggling and 2 of the founding tracks are likely to close. Please don't be offended but a lot of supporters and administrators are of pensionable age generally have a large disposable income and probably don't even have to find the bus fare. Could this be what's inflating the admission costs? Drawing an analogy with pubs, beer and meals are of an eyewatering price and are possible inflated by the 'grey pound'. I am reasanably comfortable and I just don't have the money for speedway, beer and the odd meal out? The same is happening with speedway and pubs which are closing at an alarming rate???

Edited by Pieman72

Are tactical substitutes relevant when our National Stadium is stuggling and 2 of the founding tracks are likely to close. Please don't be offended but a lot of supporters and administrators are of pensionable age generally have a large disposable income and probably don't even have to find the bus fare. Could this be what's inflating the admission costs? Drawing an analogy with pubs, beer and meals are of an eyewatering price and are possible inflated by the 'grey pound'. I am reasanably comfortable and I just don't have the money for speedway, beer and the odd meal out? The same is happening with speedway and pubs which are closing at an alarming rate???

They are to me.

Had it ever occurred to you that perhaps the Tactical Ride is responsible for more than just me not going? There will doubtless be other Rules that some folk can't stomach and refuse to put up with.

I would bet I am not the only one.

The fact it has been going since 1955 - does not, necessarily, make it right.

I had thought that the present scoring system, which favours the away team, offsetting any home track advantage would have removed the need for tactical subs / rides. I agree that it is time for them to go, although it won't stop me from attending meetings.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that TV coverage helps or hinders the sport ?

I have to say that it rekindled my interest in the sport about 15 years ago after being a regular at Belle Vue in the 70s and 80s. I eventually started to go again maybe half a dozen times a season and have been to Cardiff three times.

So for a former fan I think it's a great reminder of just how good the sport can be (and the Sky coverage was generally excellent), but I'm not sure that it would attract new fans necessarily. The rules are too complex for a non fan to comprehend and the amount (and concept) of guest riders must make the sport look very amateurish I'm afraid.

it helps but it's not used to its full potential
  • Like 1

To my mind - it certainly doesn't help Speedway.

It should help, but it seems certain people in authority in Speedway seem happy just to see the Sport on Television and take the money handed over by the Television Companies. The presence of Speedway on the Television should be augmented by a massive push to actually PROMOTE the Sport. Television Advertising could be a start - expensive - yes - but you have to speculate to accumulate. I understand from friends and from some other Posters on this Forum that Social Media could be used much more advantageously and effectively than it is now.

A lot of folk will probably stay at home to watch the Meeting if it is on the Television thus depriving Tracks of valuable income. How that is offset against the Television money - I wouldn't know.

Apart from the folk staying away and watching it on Television, as I said earlier - I can't see how being on the Television hinders Speedway in any way.

• Like 2

Pay to view TV is probably not the best medium to promote speedway as the audience is primarily focussed on football and not motor sports. Speedway is a contactish sport and to be enjoyed it is best watched live. The smell, noise, atmosphere and banter makes for a memorable night. TV is just being used as a 'cash cow' and not a very good one at that. There are a lot of embedded opinions and agenda's at the top of British Speedway and they need to change as the survival of speedway is becoming critical. On a positive note Grasstrack is doing very well particularly in the Midlands Centre and manages to put on wonderful entertainment why is this so when speedway is stuggling so much?

Pay to view TV is probably not the best medium to promote speedway as the audience is primarily focussed on football and not motor sports. Speedway is a contactish sport and to be enjoyed it is best watched live. The smell, noise, atmosphere and banter makes for a memorable night. TV is just being used as a 'cash cow' and not a very good one at that. There are a lot of embedded opinions and agenda's at the top of British Speedway and they need to change as the survival of speedway is becoming critical. On a positive note Grasstrack is doing very well particularly in the Midlands Centre and manages to put on wonderful entertainment why is this so when speedway is stuggling so much?

I did no know that regarding Grasstrack. Very interesting.

As for the question you pose regarding Speedway - I'm afraid I have no answer for you. :sad: :sad: :sad: