British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

Not convinced grass track is doing well in comparison to the 70s any more than speedway is. A few well attended meetings but equally meetings are being cancelled for lack of entries. I suspect you'd have to ride in every centre to get anywhere near the number of meetings you could get in the 70s

Not convinced grass track is doing well in comparison to the 70s any more than speedway is. A few well attended meetings but equally meetings are being cancelled for lack of entries. I suspect you'd have to ride in every centre to get anywhere near the number of meetings you could get in the 70s

I've attended a couple of grass tracks within the last couple of years and the attendance was poor on both occasions.

The strange thing to me, seems to be that TV live broadcasts present speedway in the best possible light, in theory whetting people's appetite to go and have a look at a local track. But that does not seem to be the case judging by falling attendances at many stadiums. I think the Sky matches should be £5 ( or even free ) and get the stadium full and hopefully more enticing to armchair fans. Several of the Sky matches last year showed that, apparently, speedway at the match - in the flesh - is not of interest to many people. In some cases it was "spot the fan". I am a big fan of speedway on TV and the excellent Sky and GP coverage does show the sport in it's best light. The why of how it does not pull in possible new fans is the puzzling part of things.

The empty looking stadium for a tv match is the problem , I watch a polish match on a Sunday and see 17,000 zeilona gora fans buzzing and even before the bikes are on the frack I want to be there , a crowd attracts a crowd attracts a crowd ,for a tv match instead of sky paying the promotors a fee sky should take over the pay for that match and make it free to attend , get the place full and people will look in on tv and think that looks fun I want to go and experience some live speedway

• Like 6

Pay to view TV is probably not the best medium to promote speedway as the audience is primarily focussed on football and not motor sports. Speedway is a contactish sport and to be enjoyed it is best watched live. The smell, noise, atmosphere and banter makes for a memorable night. TV is just being used as a 'cash cow' and not a very good one at that. There are a lot of embedded opinions and agenda's at the top of British Speedway and they need to change as the survival of speedway is becoming critical. On a positive note Grasstrack is doing very well particularly in the Midlands Centre and manages to put on wonderful entertainment why is this so when speedway is stuggling so much?

Grasstrack is on its knees apart from a couple of meetings a year.

Edited by Sotonian

Grasstrack has had a hard time but meetings are on the rise which are very well supported with healthy entries from Ledbury, Bewdley and Worcester Clubs and a contribution from Midshires . A lot can be learned from the format, costings, value for maoney and entertainment. It truly is a motorsport where as speedway has 'taken it's eye' off what it really is?

The empty looking stadium for a tv match is the problem , I watch a polish match on a Sunday and see 17,000 zeilona gora fans buzzing and even before the bikes are on the frack I want to be there , a crowd attracts a crowd attracts a crowd ,for a tv match instead of sky paying the promotors a fee sky should take over the pay for that match and make it free to attend , get the place full and people will look in on tv and think that looks fun I want to go and experience some live speedway

Dean, the snag with that is, when the meetings are ran as a loss leader by the home promotion, Kelvin and Jonathan blab about the offer all night, and massage the fact that there's a "BIG" crowd in tonight, because the promotion have let everyone in for a £5'r, and put face painting on, and free flags on the seats, and banners up everywhere....

They need to detract from gobbing off about the special offer element, as when the 100 or so turn up off the back of what they saw on the telly box, will either, turn around at the turnstyles when they see the price, or give it a go, and never return, and tell all their mates not to go!!!!!!

Get what I mean??

It's not so much about "when" the decline in speedway started. It's now more about what point the decline is at as we start another season. With question marks or serious concerns over at least four Premiership clubs - Coventry, Leicester, Belle Vue and Swindon we could consider how much this is the "tip of the iceberg"? How many clubs in all three leagues are also on the financial edge and who would be dragged down if attendances continue to fall? It's no good always "looking on the bright side" when the emptying terraces say something else. Fingers crossed that speedway - the sport I love most - does reach it's 2028 Centenary in rude good health.

It's not so much about "when" the decline in speedway started. It's now more about what point the decline is at as we start another season. With question marks or serious concerns over at least four Premiership clubs - Coventry, Leicester, Belle Vue and Swindon we could consider how much this is the "tip of the iceberg"? How many clubs in all three leagues are also on the financial edge and who would be dragged down if attendances continue to fall? It's no good always "looking on the bright side" when the emptying terraces say something else. Fingers crossed that speedway - the sport I love most - does reach it's 2028 Centenary in rude good health.

Let's hope so wtg28.

There are grounds for optimism with Neil Vatcher's youngsters in Training. I really hope that one or two of those can come through. We need more than that though to get rid of the dreadful 'hat trick':

Double Up, Double Down and Double Points.

Has anyone ever thought of, or invented a 'speedway simulator',,, similar to those 'bucking bulls', something like what you see in clubs, or holiday ?

get them at tracks and have fans go on them for all those that imagine just how easy it looks,,, it might get some folk in.

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever thought of, or invented a 'speedway simulator',,, similar to those 'bucking bulls', something like what you see in clubs, or holiday ?

get them at tracks and have fans go on them for all those that imagine just how easy it looks,,, it might get some folk in.

I might even come along and have a go.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

• Like 1

age restrictions may apply, unless you sign the waiver ;)

• Like 1

Let's hope so wtg28.

There are grounds for optimism with Neil Vatcher's youngsters in Training. I really hope that one or two of those can come through. We need more than that though to get rid of the dreadful 'hat trick':

Double Up, Double Down and Double Points.

How is the progression of youngsters going to get rid of double points ?

That would make a change

There has been a 'beat the gate' bike at Foxhall a few times.