British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

Promoters and all those who wish to build up the fan base of speedway again, need to go back to basics in many ways. Everyone within, say, 10 miles needs to have a pre-season leaflet with an offer of a free ticket during the first month OR an "in for a fiver" coupon - as a taster. You don't know what you're missing etc. And as much that can be done via social media too. Plus a reminder that they can get a preview of the thrills of speedway via You tube. Until prospective new fans get to see it and understand what it is, they will not come to a meeting. All the re-branding in the world will not, on it's own bring them in. Every takeaway, chip shop etc needs a fixture list on a poster as it was done years ago.

Are those who run Speedway in this Country familiar with the advantages that Social Media can bring to the Sport? However, perhaps more importantly, do they know how to actually use and apply Social Media to it's best effect in the interests of British Speedway?

These are genuine questions - I am not having a go here.

Are those who run Speedway in this Country familiar with the advantages that Social Media can bring to the Sport? However, perhaps more importantly, do they know how to actually use and apply Social Media to it's best effect in the interests of British Speedway?

These are genuine questions - I am not having a go here.

Quite a few clubs do have forums on both Facebook and Twitter, while there are many independent groups on both that cater for speedway. The SGB/BSPA website can also be raised via Twtter on Social Media.

Edited by Guest

Quite a few clubs do have forums on both Facebook and Twitter, while there are many independent groups on both that cater for speedway. The SGB/BSPA website can also be raised via Twtter on Social Media.

I was thinking more of the ability to be able to publicise the Sport as a better product and getting the word out there that Speedway is an exciting and very dangerous Sport. Whether this can be done through Social Media - I don't know......................................?

Promoters and all those who wish to build up the fan base of speedway again, need to go back to basics in many ways. Everyone within, say, 10 miles needs to have a pre-season leaflet with an offer of a free ticket during the first month OR an "in for a fiver" coupon - as a taster. You don't know what you're missing etc. And as much that can be done via social media too. Plus a reminder that they can get a preview of the thrills of speedway via You tube. Until prospective new fans get to see it and understand what it is, they will not come to a meeting. All the re-branding in the world will not, on it's own bring them in. Every takeaway, chip shop etc needs a fixture list on a poster as it was done years ago.

You know, perhaps the promotors don't have faith in their product either? And posting tasters through 30,000 letterboxes, may bring in another 100 to 300 newbies, but for one time only, because the product is not good... And those 100-300 are lost forever. Promotors are scared to promote outside of their "small" base of regular die-hards and their friends and family....

Just a thought.......

• Like 2

Just been thinking, back the the glorious seventies and the years they did the Daily Mirror Grand Prix at every track, in which riders rode in the same amount of meetings at each British League track in a series of qualifying meetings. I remember them fondly.

It isn't the rehash of these meetings that will help inflate speedway's (British speedway) leaky tyre... it is that they could be held back then, without the requirement of finding what rider would actually be in the country and not riding in Poland, Sweden or even Denmark. They were simple days... and I'm not harking back with those rose-tinted specs I got a few Christmas Days ago. British speedway must focus on employing riders only willing to assure they are here for every match... and hastily re-arranged ones. In other words, willing to commit to Britain. Full stop.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

British speedway must focus on employing riders only willing to assure they are here for every match... and hastily re-arranged ones. In other words, willing to commit to Britain. Full stop.

Yes I agree but then you'd have some fans moaning about the drop in quality riders again and refusing to attend because there aren't many so called top stars riding over here. Personally I couldn't care less not being able to watch Hancock, Pedersen, Woffinden etc., but others feel deprived so you'll never please everyone.

• Like 1

Yes I agree but then you'd have some fans moaning about the drop in quality riders again and refusing to attend because there aren't many so called top stars riding over here. Personally I couldn't care less not being able to watch Hancock, Pedersen, Woffinden etc., but others feel deprived so you'll never please everyone.

So who wins.... fans who are willing to have a school PE pick-on-the-day sort of league, or a serious product, so alright, which is weakened, but gets back to the ethics of what team speedway, speedway as a whole, is really all based upon in this country? Like you, I am not bothered about seeing the likes of Hancock and Woffy, if they feel the league in the UK is not big enough for them.

Just a believable product, is what most want. Let the so-called Stars earn their living elsewhere, while those shores can accommodate them, as it won't last forever. It is important to re-set British speedway. Afterall, someone will fill the boots of the Too-Good-For-The-UK Stars.... just look at what Jason Doyle almost achieved before he was struck down last year. Someone will still have to score those double-figure points for your team that Pedersen would score... but at least you'll know, he wont be galavanting all over the globe, doing the same for another set of fans, another set of colours. It just doesn't feel right, even after all these years, to a long-in-the-tooth speedway fan... or, I bet, even the newbies we're trying to entice.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I too prefer that idea of using riders who are 100% committed to riding in Britain only. In one big league - probably North and South divided except for the playoffs. I enjoy watching Iversen, Doyle, Holder etc but home gown stars would quickly emerge. And then it could be for a more reasonable admission price. £10 - £12 max. And definitely only one "old hand" per team in the National League. And something new must be tried in terms of reaching out to potential new fans. If not then I genuinely believe that the centenary of 2028 will not be reached. If the decline in attendances continues as it has over the past five years the sport will become extinct or exist only in an amateur form at a handful of tracks. There is a difference between being negative and being realistic about the state of the sport now. Quite why the BSPA don't like constructive feedback I can't understand. There is definitely an " I know best " approach to how they are going about things. Please listen much more carefully to supporters and implement their ideas which are a consensus of fans concerns.

• Like 1

Please listen much more carefully to supporters and implement their ideas which are a consensus of fans concerns.

It's impossible to get a consensus of fans opinions on here with about 30 people on a thread let alone find something that all fans want.

• Like 3

It's impossible to get a consensus of fans opinions on here with about 30 people on a thread let alone find something that all fans want.

In the main, I don't there is a huge amount of conjecture on what the majority of fans want...

"A league ran and organised with integrity and credibilty, with meetings taking place on the same nights regularly and consistently, with an off track entertainment package to augment the on track action, with all teams' riders being available every time a match is scheduled not 'somewhere else', and an admission fee that is actually reflective of the sports standing and the actual value for money entertainment level on show, rather than a random inflation busting number generated to help fend off spiralling out of control rider salary costs due to their financial outlay around the globe"...

Would I suggest be a good starting point for promoters to address...?

And not too difficult to deliver I would say if the promoters were mindful to achieve it..

• Like 4

Sounds logical but as always there are issues once you claim to represent what the majority want:

"A league ran and organised with integrity and credibilty,

Integrity and credibility sounds like something everybody wants but depends on the situation and your point of view what is credible.

with meetings taking place on the same nights regularly and consistently,

Cant argue with that and can't imagine many would, there are many reasons why it may not be achievable though.

with an off track entertainment package to augment the on track action

Many have said on here that the off track entertainment is immaterial to them.

with all teams' riders being available every time a match is scheduled not 'somewhere else'

Again some would argue that we need the top riders in league action and are willing to accept the issues that brings.

and an admission fee that is actually reflective of the sports standing and the actual value for money entertainment level on show, rather than a random inflation busting number generated to help fend off spiralling out of control rider salary costs due to their financial outlay around the globe"...

That depends I guess on what your view is of whether you want the top riders involved and how much you are willing to pay for the off track entertainment if you want it. Of course nearly everybody wants it to be as cheap as possible but will have different ideas of what can be sacrificed to keep admissions low.

Would I suggest be a good starting point for promoters to address...?

You could and it wouldn't be unreasonable but you can't claim that it is what every or even a majority of fans wants or that it will bring any new fans along which surely should be a primary consideration.

I've no real argument with most of what you say but just pointing out the difficulties of assuming you know what the majority want let alone finding ways of achieving it.

I would say that the majority of people I know would like to do away with the play off system but any sane promoter would immediately point to the fact that it produces the biggest crowds of the season as proof of it's popularity. It's difficult to argue with their point even if you are sure it's not what the majority want in your own mind.

Sounds logical but as always there are issues once you claim to represent what the majority want:

I've no real argument with most of what you say but just pointing out the difficulties of assuming you know what the majority want let alone finding ways of achieving it.

I would say that the majority of people I know would like to do away with the play off system but any sane promoter would immediately point to the fact that it produces the biggest crowds of the season as proof of it's popularity. It's difficult to argue with their point even if you are sure it's not what the majority want in your own mind.

There is a way to find out what the majority want and that is an anonymous poll but the BSF doesn't seem to have that option for members.

If polls could be run on this site the problem then is knowing the subject for a particular poll, maybe members could list their top ten voteable subjects in one short sentence (eg, Do you want to do away with the play off system?) and then a priority list could be drawn up to vote on.

As in all forums there is a silent majority who will not post for fear of being shot down by the more "forceful" members, polls would get a true picture of supporters wants and feelings and would send a very strong message to the promoters.

Edited by Skid Sprocket

Although I realise there are some anti-Speedway Star posters on here, there is an excellent 4 page article by Peter Oakes in the current edition which attempts to analyse some of speedway's issues from the new 'branding' and what is behind it, to should we revitalise the British Championship by making it a 4-round competition? whilst also looking back at how the sport has evolved or regenerated itself in the past.

For me its interesting to note that we continue with 30+ teams across 3 (hopefully competitive) leagues. OK, the top end of the league structure may be 'declining' by way of not attracting as many of the top star riders, but does that really mean that the whole sport is in decline?!!

IMO the sport will always continue in some form or other, if not in the current form. Hopefully there are still more than a few promoters in it for the longer haul who will try to be a bit more realistic with their pricing policies!?

• Like 3

Just watching a film about Poole speedway in 1948-50, it got me thinking, should we go back to concrete start gates ? No more gardening , no more ruts , less traction so will lead to less engine revs on start line so will save engines , no more bloke with chalk roller machine painting a white line as it can be painted on permanent , no more advantage starts gate,this is not really about how great it used to be even though that's what inspired me to write this but I'm thinking of making the starts a bit more modern and more efficient

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Just watching a film about Poole speedway in 1948-50, it got me thinking, should we go back to concrete start gates ? No more gardening , no more ruts , less traction so will lead to less engine revs on start line so will save engines , no more bloke with chalk roller machine painting a white line as it can be painted on permanent , no more advantage starts gate,this is not really about how great it used to be even though that's what inspired me to write this but I'm thinking of making the starts a bit more modern and more efficient

Dean, this was discussed on this forum last year.......

If I remember, most people that were riders/ex riders thought that it would be dangerous with the bikes used now, did you not comment on it last time??

Or am I losing the plot?

Cheers Dean......