British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

Dean, this was discussed on this forum last year.......

If I remember, most people that were riders/ex riders thought that it would be dangerous with the bikes used now, did you not comment on it last time??

Or am I losing the plot?

Cheers Dean......

i can't remember lol ,I probably didn't like the idea , I'm just currently mulling over ideas, I think the main objection would be if the concrete didn't sit level with the shale and it made a ramp Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Dean, this was discussed on this forum last year.......

If I remember, most people that were riders/ex riders thought that it would be dangerous with the bikes used now, did you not comment on it last time??

Or am I losing the plot?

Cheers Dean......

Yes, there seemed to be only one guy who proposed and wanted them and that was Gresham. All the difficulties were pointed out to him but as usual he had a hissie fit and chucked off because we weren't looking forward, despite the idea was done away with decades ago.

Yes I agree but then you'd have some fans moaning about the drop in quality riders again and refusing to attend because there aren't many so called top stars riding over here. Personally I couldn't care less not being able to watch Hancock, Pedersen, Woffinden etc., but others feel deprived so you'll never please everyone.

I think the best meeting I have seen at Leicester was the kids meeting, they all gave 110% and all wanted to be there, ok so not as fast but far more enjoyable to watch.

I would like to see the second league have at least 4 Brits per team and cut out the foreign journeymen.

• Like 2

Some years ago in the USA it was suggested that speedway and other motorcycle sport had not gained the same attraction there as car sport because basically the general public was more interested in cars than motorcycles.

Could that also be a factor in what is happening in Britain and has led to speedway even finishing in some countries?

Countries Where League Racing Has Failed

Edited by Guest

Yes I agree but then you'd have some fans moaning about the drop in quality riders again and refusing to attend because there aren't many so called top stars riding over here. Personally I couldn't care less not being able to watch Hancock, Pedersen, Woffinden etc., but others feel deprived so you'll never please everyone.

The main problem for me with top riders being forced out isn't so much that I don't see those riders but the inevitable drop in crowd levels each time the league is weakened.

If teams of the current strength performed in full stadiums with a great atmosphere I'd be happy with the product, but they continually push people away from attending by weakening teams.

• Like 2

The main problem for me with top riders being forced out isn't so much that I don't see those riders but the inevitable drop in crowd levels each time the league is weakened.

If teams of the current strength performed in full stadiums with a great atmosphere I'd be happy with the product, but they continually push people away from attending by weakening teams.

Sadly you are right.

Apparently we just do not have enough Riders to staff all of the Teams in the British Leagues - so what is the answer?

I certainly don't know how you would square that particular circle.

• Like 1

Sadly you are right.

Apparently we just do not have enough Riders to staff all of the Teams in the British Leagues - so what is the answer?

I certainly don't know how you would square that particular circle.

Perhaps have less riders in less teams?

• Like 1

Perhaps have less riders in less teams?

That would be the logical answer - however - I cannot see anyone wanting their Track to close in order to help other Teams staff theirs.

I know I wouldn't if it affected me.

That would be the logical answer - however - I cannot see anyone wanting their Track to close in order to help other Teams staff theirs.

With regard to the number of teams, It will be survival of the fittest that sorts that problem, I believe.

Reducing the number of riders in a team is a decision that needs to be made now.

With regard to the number of teams, It will be survival of the fittest that sorts that problem, I believe.

Reducing the number of riders in a team is a decision that needs to be made now.

I brought note of what has happened elsewhere in regard to team racing in Post 154 - Countries Where League Racing Has Failed

Some years ago in the USA it was suggested that speedway and other motorcycle sport had not gained the same attraction there as car sport because basically the general public was more interested in cars than motorcycles.

Could that also be a factor in what is happening in Britain and has led to speedway even finishing in some countries?

Countries Where League Racing Has Failed

...and the above comment also seem to be by-passed as this thread continues on its unhappy way!

Wasn't the number of riders per team reduced during the late nineties and lasted only a couple of seasons? I've lost track the number of times speedway mucks about with the number of riders per team (6, 7 & 8) certainly within my speedway life time. Also the number of heat variations down the same number of years (13, 15, 16 & 18). Even a six lap race was introduced to try and bolster interest!

Do other sports change such fundamental basics as often as speedway as regards number of players per team and the length of the match/meeting?

No wonder the great, late, Bernard Crapper stated that he no longer understood the rules when he stepped aside from management duties.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Wasn't the number of riders per team reduced during the late nineties and lasted only a couple of seasons? I've lost track the number of times speedway mucks about with the number of riders per team (6, 7 & 8) certainly within my speedway life time. Also the number of heat variations down the same number of years (13, 15, 16 & 18). Even a six lap race was introduced to try and bolster interest!

Do other sports change such fundamental basics as often as speedway as regards number of players per team and the length of the match/meeting?

No wonder the great, late, Bernard Crapper stated that he no longer understood the rules when he stepped aside from management duties.

You want to come to Buxton.

Sometimes they have unknown distance races!

Surely it there are not enough riders and the sport cannot financially support the number of teams that are currently running, then something has to change?

I don't think it will happen like that. Too many tracks aren't viable and the crunch has to come, then there will be less clubs, whatever anyone thinks about it. All this struggle to get several prominent clubs to the tapes for the coming season is extremely bad publicity and will be driving potential fans away.

• Like 1

How about six man teams no doubling up down left or right. Then start year one with a 45 point limit and the following year all teams can build to the points limit the champions achieved. All riders get 5 rides no long term guests or rr for injured riders 10 days only as that facility. If a rider is injured during a meeting his rides can be taken by a team mate who has the same or lower average as the oppositions top averaged rider in the heat.

Riders racing for more than one club is still the "BIG" killer in my mind.. I try and not talk about this element when discussing my sport with friends that are not speedway fans (this happens frequently, as I am quite involved in speedway, on a voluntary basis) so having days off work (hols) occasionally leaving early (weeknight meetings) speedway is frequently involved in my conversations.....

Explaining we didn't have one or two of our riders last night, due to the fact they were (playing) for another team, and quite likely, the riders we borrowed from another team or two, just doesn't make sense to them, does not go down well, or sit right with them as fans of other team sports.. Why do you put up with it? I'm asked... That's just how they earn their money, racing for "other" teams as well as my team!!

Until riders ride for just one team, I doubt it will ever recover and/or become media food..

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 3