British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

There has been a 'beat the gate' bike at Foxhall a few times.

think there's been something similar to that at Brough, apart from seeing how quick you could drop the clutch,,, a don't think it was what I was thinking of, (maybe a bike fixed to a rampant windy pick inside a bouncy castle) ;)

Many years ago, perhaps mid-eighties, there was an arcade in Cromer, I think it was there anyway.. There was if I remember rightly, an old dirt bike (early Speedway bike) that was built into/onto some sort of rolling road/track (I think) that simulated Speedway riding.... Went to Cromer for the day, before Kings Lynn v Leicester. Perhaps someone from that Kings Lynn area, might be able to clarify this machines existance??? I'm sure I wasn't dreaming..

How is the progression of youngsters going to get rid of double points ?

That would make a change

It's got nothing to do with youngsters - but just might improve Speedway for the Spectator..

You know - to try and drag the Sport out of the Doldrums.

Then again - I'm probably wasting my time - there are some who seem happy for Speedway to remain there.

I only brought it up because Doubling Up, Doubling Down and Double Points are at least partly responsible for Speedway's decline.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

The problem with any good ideas and I have forwarded collective ideas from current supporters to the "powers that be". That inc my local promoter who had been asking for them, only to receive - not even an acknowledgement. I was not expecting fulsome praise but a "thanks" email would been a thought ( and not too expensive ) Some of our ideas were similar to many other fans on the forum. But it seems the BSPA is set on it's way under the current leadership ( league name change, Gerhard engines, the about to be launched marketing campaign etc ) and do not want to listen or consider any other ideas ( which might or might not have been helpful ). If there is a change of regime leadership in a year to two at the BSPA they will then - if this policy push is not attracting new fans - be launching another "let's try this way now" and that may genuinely be too late.

think there's been something similar to that at Brough, apart from seeing how quick you could drop the clutch,,, a don't think it was what I was thinking of, (maybe a bike fixed to a rampant windy pick inside a bouncy castle) ;)

sounds like a recipie for a youtube sensation!! 😆
  • Like 1

The fact that there cannot be a speedway in the area where I live does not worry me in the least. Even were there to ever be a track I doubt if I would attend. The last meeting I saw was the closedown at Wimbledon in 2005. I have seen just one event on TV since then...I think it was a GP being staged in Sweden.

My own golden era for following speedway as a spectator was from 1946 until 1992. I am still keenly interested in all the historical aspects of speedway but have no enthusiasm towards attending a meeting in these modern times.