British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

UK Speedways decline can be traced back to the start of the digital age. Computers, smart phones and gaming machines are the easy winners when compared to a sport that is stuck in the dark ages....

• Like 2

Perhaps because it's over in less than ten seconds that's the case in 70% of races. A majority of riders seem to accept that the positions at the end of lap one will be the result. Except for the few young guns or dyed in the wool racers are prepared to give it all in an attempt to gain a point ( or not run a last ). Are different better incentives needed? There are invariably not more than five races in a match where there is any passing or excitement. That old saying of first away wins is mostly true and will not easily attract new fans. Getting away from the start and not making a mistake makes it very difficult to be passed - that is a fact of modern speedway racing.

Track preparation - too many promoters still say they do the track prep to retain the home advantage. Too many tracks are still "trick tracks" and need a technique which riders visiting once a year do not attempt to master that technique. Away teams in many cases accept their fate and ride accordingly, hoping at best to avoid a thrashing. Providing a track where the opposition can believe they have a real chance of winning is essential if you want new fans to return.

There is not enough "content" in a long speedway match for present day audiences. Even if we cannot afford big screen for video replays - a competent professional audio "talk through" of the race just run ( adding as much explanation as possible ) would give some more content and cost very little. As it stands there is just too much waiting around with nothing happening. 90 mins max. should be the match length whenever possible

I have accepted those less attractive parts of speedway for over 60 years and must say I am still a huge fan of speedway - on TV. The broadcast quality and techniques nowadays are so good that it knocks into a cocked hat watching in a part empty stadium. A good friend says "you can't beat the live atmosphere" but in most cases there is very little "atmosphere" at most, run of the mill matches. There is so much more "content" inc. expert analysis, slow mo replays and commentary to enjoy on broadcast TV.

New bums on seats or feet on terraces is the only way that speedway will reach it's centenary in 2028. All the rule changes, squad ideas or tinkering with lineups etc will not attract any new fans because they do not know what speedway is now! All of the efforts of promoters should be in trying to attract new fans. That may be a free match in the first month of the season in a "come and see what speedway is", if that is impossible let everyone in for £10 and all under 16's free - for the season. Or a free DVD of "best of" the previous season widely distributed in conjunction with a national newspaper / broadcaster at the beginning of March ( with a voucher for a free ticket or 2 for 1 offer ). If that is impossible let everyone in for £10 and all under 16's free. Have a campaign that really encourages people to take a look at speedway via You Tube.

Wooing back "lost fans" is not going to work as many of them have simply passed away and cannot return even if they fancied it! Look at the average age of fans everywhere in the UK ( at least 50 if not 55 ).Speedway is in decline everywhere and only brave new efforts to show what the sport has to offer in terms of thrills and excitement. But you have to do as much as you can at every match to have a track that all riders can have a go on!

Positive outward looking, dynamic marketing is the only way to avoid speedway being down and out at 90 never mind 100.

Our concerns obviously are in regard to safeguarding speedway, but it occurs to me that other forms of motorcycle sport may have similar problems in regard to losing support.

Does any member have an idea how things are in regard to attendances at other forms of motorcycle sport? Are they having problems or are they seeing an increase?

If other motorcycle disciplines do have a downtrend similar to that affecting speedway what measures - if any? - are they undertaking to redress this?

Edited by Guest

Our concerns obviously are in regard to safeguarding speedway, but it occurs to me that other forms of motorcycle sport may have similar problems in regard to losing support.

Does any member have an idea how things are in regard to attendees at other motorcycle racing? Are they hiding, are they increasing, or are they in a downtrend similar to that affecting speedway?

British Superbikes is thriving IMO.It is a value

for money day out,speedway on the other hand is only a couple of hours.There is lot more going on action wise and they have moved with the times regarding machinery spec and classes to produce a more level playing field.Not sure about Moto cross but it is also good entertainment for a day out IMO.

But it's not all doom and gloom . It's still one of the few sports where supporters of different teams can stand shoulder to shoulder and enjoy themselves . The two day fours event at Peterborough was an incredible example of that . From where I was sat the were Glasgow fans , Berwick fans , Edinburgh fans , Plymouth , Newport , Workington , Rye House and of course , the hosts . It was brilliant , and of course the racing on a wonderful track was really entertaining . £30 pounds for two days enjoyment with the hot summer sun beating down , cold beer and enjoyable and sometimes witty banter flying back and forth . What other sport offers this ? There is much wrong with speedway , we know that , but when it's done properly , like those two days at Peterborough , there's no better spectacle .

• Like 7

But it's not all doom and gloom . It's still one of the few sports where supporters of different teams can stand shoulder to shoulder and enjoy themselves . The two day fours event at Peterborough was an incredible example of that . From where I was sat the were Glasgow fans , Berwick fans , Edinburgh fans , Plymouth , Newport , Workington , Rye House and of course , the hosts . It was brilliant , and of course the racing on a wonderful track was really entertaining . £30 pounds for two days enjoyment with the hot summer sun beating down , cold beer and enjoyable and sometimes witty banter flying back and forth . What other sport offers this ? There is much wrong with speedway , we know that , but when it's done properly , like those two days at Peterborough , there's no better spectacle .

Agree,think there is a lot of frustration regarding our sport though

Shoulder to shoulder? At most tracks, shoulder to shoulder is a car ride away from the nearest chap or lass.

I know how you feel about the London track closures cityrebel. I saw the 'rise' of speedway in London from April 1946 through to its decline and know full well how you feel.

However, what factors do you think contributed to the sport's failure in the capital? Along with others who are following this thread I would be interested to read your observations. Indeed, from reading views on London's decline it could well be that the reasons are basically also those affecting the sport generally in the UK at the present time.

Just to recap with you in regard to speedway tracks in London and its surrounds this list may be of interest?

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/1202/london-area-tracks-1928

I agree with your views mb1990 and agree that the first item in your comment is especially crucial in regard to the decline. While these days we accept the London-orientation of Rye House and Lakeside Hammers (aka Arena Essex) neither are venues likely to impress National Media as did old-time venues, especially Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon and Harringay.

What a worrying thought that is wealdstone. In a follow up vein does not mediocrity eventually lead to demise? I relate that conjecture to UK speedway generally and not just what has happened over the years in London.

Does any member have an idea how things are in regard to attendances at other forms of motorcycle sport? Are they having problems or are they seeing an increase?

If other motorcycle disciplines do have a downtrend similar to that affecting speedway what measures - if any? - are they undertaking to redress this?

What a why to spend Christmas day, sat at a keyboard debating the demise of speedway.

ffs How sad is that? :sad:

• Like 1

What a why to spend Christmas day, sat at a keyboard debating the demise of speedway.

ffs How sad is that? :sad:

No sadder than you sitting reading them IMO
  • Like 4

When Penhall retired

The sport was made to look a complete joke when Bruce announced on the World Final rostrum ( although it was his right ) that he was leavening the sport to become what turned out to be a second rate actor, then a year later Egon Muller became a what was perceived to be an unworthy world champion ( which I do not agree with at all), since that time the media which built the sport up be something it was not, have has had a compete downer on it.

What the answer is I only wish I knew, it is true that we cannot compete with payments in Poland & Sweden but I feel all true fans should support the BSPA in the reorganisation of Speedway in the UK, the bubble must burst in Europe at some time the near future due to unrealistic wage costs and we as a country must have in place a viable and cost effected league system in place to accommodate riders if and when it is needed

Edited by willstaxi
  • Like 2

Just popped back from all the Christmas partying at ours, to try and help save speedway. My lips are sore with kissing the ladies under that mistletoe anyway, all that grub and wine...

I think the Norden world final of 1983 and when World of Sport stopped screening, that was another start of the end.

Oh yeah... and the Penhall retirement... followed by all those other household names the sport bid farewell to over the next decade and we've never really replaced.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Just popped back from all the Christmas partying at ours, to try and help save speedway. My lips are sore with kissing the ladies under that mistletoe anyway, all that grub and wine...

I think the Norden world final of 1983 and when World of Sport stopped screening, that was another start of the end.

Oh yeah... and the Penhall retirement... followed by all those other household names the sport bid farewell to over the next decade and we've never really replaced.

I was there!

Quite enjoyed it really but probably more for the banter and the coach trip than the rather predictable result.

Norden didn't put me off speedway but lots of things since have made a pretty good job of so doing.

• Like 1

I was there!

Quite enjoyed it really but probably more for the banter and the coach trip than the rather predictable result.

Norden didn't put me off speedway but lots of things since have made a pretty good job of so doing.

Yeah, you are right. Norden didn't put me off speedway but it seemed the start of the sport's gradual demise; the following year The Sunday People thing and then, 1984, World of Sport going off air. I still loved speedway then but the People thing tarnished it in some eyes, I wasn't bothered, and the occasional airing that WoS offered ended and therefore took its existence out of the public glare. Then we lost Kenny Carter and Billy Sanders.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Shoulder to shoulder? At most tracks, shoulder to shoulder is a car ride away from the nearest chap or lass.

To quote Jasper Carrott; "I remember saying to the bloke standing next to me....OI!"

Speedway started to decline when the riders stopped interacting with the fans. My son adored Tom Topinka from a very young age. We have photos of him on Topinkas bike and Tom holding him sitting on the fence at Lynn. Riders don't seem to have time for fans anymore.