British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

Our concerns obviously are in regard to safeguarding speedway, but it occurs to me that other forms of motorcycle sport may have similar problems in regard to losing support.

Does any member have an idea how things are in regard to attendances at other forms of motorcycle sport? Are they having problems or are they seeing an increase?

If other motorcycle disciplines do have a downtrend similar to that affecting speedway what measures - if any? - are they undertaking to redress this?

Grass track racing is doing even worse than Speedwáy. I can remember the time when in Kent alone there woukd be at least one grass track almost every week sometimes two on the same day. It's in a very sorry state nationwide these days by comparison.

Moto cross is just about keeping its head above water I think, but nothing like the spectacle it used to be.

But it's not just motorcycling. In London alone there were over thirty dog tracks at one time now there is only one. Pubs have been closing down and turned into McDonalds for years, now even the McDonalds are closing down and being turned into Aldis and Lidl's, as people in general have changing habits

Peoples homes are generally more comfortable than 40 years ago and of course have a massive level of so called "home entertainment" via TV and the Internet that makes a cheap night in more attractive than in the past.

Basically, people in general have become a nation of couch potatoes.

In short the reasons for the decline of Speedwáy are very complex, quite apart from its self inflicted wounds, and many of the reasons are beyond the sports control even though some are not.

An excellent assessment E I Addio. It adequately summarises much of what has contributed to speedway's (and other motor sport) slide into decline over the years. And as you also rightly say "...people in general have changing habits..." There can be no dispute with that statement IMO.

In Hull we've had charity shops close (I realise they probably occupy otherwise empty premises but those premises have stayed closed), one branch of Halfords, supermarkets, branches of 'Cash Grabbers' style shops and recently a couple of petrol stations which had mini supermarkets attached. In this, the future City Of Culture. There are also empty shops in a couple of the larger shopping complexes, wherein there possibly lies one cause....

Edited by Martin Mauger

In Hull we've had charity shops close (I realise they probably occupy otherwise empty premises but those premises have stayed closed), one branch of Halfords, supermarkets, branches of 'Cash Grabbers' style shops and recently a couple of petrol stations which had mini supermarkets attached. In this, the future City Of Culture. There are also empty shops in a couple of the larger shopping complexes, wherein there possibly lies one cause....

An interesting comment Martin Mauger, but what has this to do with the thread which is titled "...When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?.." - or are you indicating that the tastes of people have changed over the years?

Edited by Guest

T

Too many riders riding for teams they had nothing to do with

Riders changing teams at the end of the season

Riders doubling up between leagues.

And yet we have had that for 50 years. Gary Peterson, for example, rode for both Wolverhampton & Nelson in 1970.

You could be right , but no other sport in this country has had anywhere near the same mortality rate .

At the end of the 1987 season, there were 28 stand alone clubs in British Speedway. At the start of 2017, there will be 29.

Some still are , especially in the second tier . Nobody was more approachable than Saint Shane Parker . But some of todays riders still have time for the fans

In my (albeit limited) experience, most of them still are.

Speedway may have been in decline since the height of the roaring 30's and 40's . But speedway's decline has been noticeably rapid since 2011 when the new silencers came in. Our heavy clay based tracks in Britain particularly the smaller ones where its not flat out all the way round simply aren't compliant with today's machines, to produce good enough racing often enough to keep fans attending regularly.

I certainly haven't noticed a significant decline in attendances since 2011 nor have I noted a similar deterioration in the quality of racing.

Scunthorpe, for example, consistently put on speedway meetings that range from good to excellent and I therefore see why the others can't do the same thing.

Ronnie Russell bringing in a German and Dane in the British national league, the gates opened to the foreign riders many not as good as British juniors but given more chances.

I think that's true. Its not that the foreigners come over here, but that EL & PL promotions are far more inclined to persevere with them.

• Like 2

But it's not all doom and gloom . It's still one of the few sports where supporters of different teams can stand shoulder to shoulder and enjoy themselves . The two day fours event at Peterborough was an incredible example of that . From where I was sat the were Glasgow fans , Berwick fans , Edinburgh fans , Plymouth , Newport , Workington , Rye House and of course , the hosts . It was brilliant , and of course the racing on a wonderful track was really entertaining . £30 pounds for two days enjoyment with the hot summer sun beating down , cold beer and enjoyable and sometimes witty banter flying back and forth . What other sport offers this ? There is much wrong with speedway , we know that , but when it's done properly , like those two days at Peterborough , there's no better spectacle .

Absolutely right :approve:

At Peterborough, virtually everything was spot on. Brilliant racing, top quality presentation, superb weather. Thing is I believe with a bit more care and effort we would have a lot more days like that.

The other big one for me was the EL play off final at Belle Vue. A huge crowd, amazing atmosphere and racing to match.

• Like 1

Absolutely right :approve:

At Peterborough, virtually everything was spot on. Brilliant racing, top quality presentation, superb weather. Thing is I believe with a bit more care and effort we would have a lot more days like that.

The other big one for me was the EL play off final at Belle Vue. A huge crowd, amazing atmosphere and racing to match.

But that post highlights the problem. Contrary to what many on this forum claim, Speedwáy is very often done at least reasonably well when not ravaged by the weather, or teams packed with guests, both of which occur far less than some people claim, and have always been a problem to a greater or lesser degree even in the so called golden days.

Tracks that put on a good show, Scunthorpe being one that everyone raves about, do not necessarily do any better or have significantly bigger crowds than those that don't produce the same spectacle. Therein lies the problem.

Personally, given the amount of alternative and more readily available entertainment people have to choose from these days I think Speedwáy would be doing very well to put an average of 100 on every gate, and brilliantly to put 200 on every gate, but ironically such modest increases would probably make a massive difference to the finances of many clubs. The days of mega crowds are gone, however well Speedwáy presents itself. That is just the way of the world. There is no doubt though that the promoters internal bickering has not helped. I don't think they are all bad more a case of a few bad apples spooling the whole bunch.

• Like 3

I'll stick my with consistent thought that the current decline - there have been others in the past from which some level of recovery was made - began with the creation of Ole Olsen's Flying Circus (what has become known as GPs) and the introduction of live televised speedway

I am absolutely sure that the main reason for falling attendances in the UK is the fact that devotees, and potential new fans**, can watch (what was Elite League) racing on Monday night, Swedish League on Tuesday night, and a GP or European Championship on a Saturday night, all live and in the comfort of home, pub or club

Previously, to watch, you had to attend

** I'm also sure that potential new fans are dissuaded from attending in person, when they see the start line shenanigans, hear of riders guesting and doubling up/down etc etc - if they had just gone to their local track they would more than likely enjoyed the thrills, spills and smells of the racing ahead of anything else

Yes, the stadium conditions for the paying public leave much to be desired and may well have also had an impact

My 7 year old grandson, and his cousin who is 9 - they have all the gadgets and gizmos you would expect - absolutely loved their first ever visit to speedway last season, and keep on asking when will we be taking them again

I think it's the case that the majority of motorsport has a lot less spectators than in previous decades.

Events that are held infrequently, Gp's, Superbikes, F1 etc, can pull big crowds but your regular lower order racing more often takes place in front of one man and his dog.

British Superbikes has done brilliantly well to promote itself and provides a great day out that is well attended but only happens once a month or so. It also has a ready made audience because they are riding bikes that people can go and buy and identify with. It also consistently provides excellent racing in the top class where the bikes are very restricted with regard to traction control and on board computerisation.

Club Road Racing is nowadays a participant sport that would love a Speedway crowd though.

Even British MX Championship rounds attract 10% of their heyday crowds and a club meeting is watched by family and friends these days. MX as a participant sport thrives though with big entries at local club level and more riders attending some practice tracks each week than there are Speedway riders in the UK.

As already pointed out Grasstrack has far fewer meetings and apart from the biggest events draws poor crowds.

Flat Track continues to thrive as a participant sport and does OK for media coverage and attracts some good names for sponsorship but so far as spectators go the one man sometimes leaves his dog at home.

Supermoto, which was once expected to become a major attraction has almost disappeared despite having fed some good riders into the British Superbike scene and running a British Championship.

In comparison Speedway has actually done OK for a sport that is generally held weekly I feel. It has survived and had little bursts of popularity along the way. I think that it still does a great many things right and some of the stuff that long term spectators complain about is unavoidable such as guest riders. There are many things I think could be done better, particularly in the way the sport is advertised to non fans but its not my money at risk.

I think that those with a real interest in motorcycle sport these days tend to buy a bike and race themselves, the majority might go to a meeting if the have a friend riding but with 7 day working and so many alternative things to do with their time the majority of live sport will continue to struggle to match past attendances apart from brief spells in the limelight.

• Like 3

Personally, given the amount of alternative and more readily available entertainment people have to choose from these days I think Speedwáy would be doing very well to put an average of 100 on every gate, and brilliantly to put 200 on every gate, but ironically such modest increases would probably make a massive difference to the finances of many clubs. The days of mega crowds are gone, however well Speedwáy presents itself. That is just the way of the world. There is no doubt though that the promoters internal bickering has not helped. I don't think they are all bad more a case of a few bad apples spooling the whole bunch.

More 'food for thought' but an opinion I personally fully agree with. The need for speedway probably is to better present what they already have than to chase after 'pie in the sky' solutions?

I am absolutely sure that the main reason for falling attendances in the UK is the fact that devotees, and potential new fans**, can watch (what was Elite League) racing on Monday night, Swedish League on Tuesday night, and a GP or European Championship on a Saturday night, all live and in the comfort of home, pub or club

Previously, to watch, you had to attend

A profound observation Midland Red. I sometimes wonder how many who these days watch speedway on TV have ever attended a LIVE meeting.

Edited by Guest

I think it's the case that the majority of motorsport has a lot less spectators than in previous decades.

Events that are held infrequently, Gp's, Superbikes, F1 etc, can pull big crowds but your regular lower order racing more often takes place in front of one man and his dog.

British Superbikes has done brilliantly well to promote itself and provides a great day out that is well attended but only happens once a month or so. It also has a ready made audience because they are riding bikes that people can go and buy and identify with. It also consistently provides excellent racing in the top class where the bikes are very restricted with regard to traction control and on board computerisation.

Club Road Racing is nowadays a participant sport that would love a Speedway crowd though.

Even British MX Championship rounds attract 10% of their heyday crowds and a club meeting is watched by family and friends these days. MX as a participant sport thrives though with big entries at local club level and more riders attending some practice tracks each week than there are Speedway riders in the UK.

As already pointed out Grasstrack has far fewer meetings and apart from the biggest events draws poor crowds.

Flat Track continues to thrive as a participant sport and does OK for media coverage and attracts some good names for sponsorship but so far as spectators go the one man sometimes leaves his dog at home.

Supermoto, which was once expected to become a major attraction has almost disappeared despite having fed some good riders into the British Superbike scene and running a British Championship.

In comparison Speedway has actually done OK for a sport that is generally held weekly I feel. It has survived and had little bursts of popularity along the way. I think that it still does a great many things right and some of the stuff that long term spectators complain about is unavoidable such as guest riders. There are many things I think could be done better, particularly in the way the sport is advertised to non fans but its not my money at risk.

I think that those with a real interest in motorcycle sport these days tend to buy a bike and race themselves, the majority might go to a meeting if the have a friend riding but with 7 day working and so many alternative things to do with their time the majority of live sport will continue to struggle to match past attendances apart from brief spells in the limelight.

I've attended a couple of local Grasstrack meetings in the last couple of years and both were poorly attended (it appeared those present were related/friends) and poorly presented. Pleasant enough afternoon out but wouldn't really encourage newcomers to become enthusiasts with what was on show.

Edited by steve roberts

Every things is more expensive these days i could go on and on and right a long list.But as an eg i used to go to football on a Sat afternoon have a couple of pints and a bite to eat then on to the speedway.I would have a good few nights down the pub and perhaps a night at the cinema.All this was affordable.Where as nowadays there is no way that i have the money to do all that every week i choose to watch speedway a few football matches in the winter and a night or 2 in the pub of which a fair few have now closed their doors.People have to pick and choose what they spend their spare money on these days it would seem that more and more people are choosing not to spend it on speedway.

The decline dates from when nothing changed except faster bikes ( much more expensive ), long drawn out heats with very little passing ( or a chance to catch up, never mind pass ), extremely long, pointless ( and often unnecessary ) gaps between those heats. At Coventry in the 1970's and 80's it really was crisply and correctly presented with the fan's entertainment in mind. But the BSPA have failed over the last 20 to 25 years to move with the times although society has evolved considerably in that time. Especially, as others have commented on, the arrival of the fully digital age where " now" is the driver of all things entertainment. There is just not enough content for the spectators in an average -in the stadium - match. Those factors mitigate against new fans coming back. The arrival of excellent broadcast TV over the last 20 years or so, has made that so much more attractive ( and is so professional in it's presentation). A good speedway race with passing ( or the serious likelihood of passing ) is still a superb thing to watch and some heats are truly " a minute of magic" but these are once in a match IF you are lucky!

• Like 2

these are all valid points except they are not really relevant for speedway because it's not seen as a Motorsport , it is and always will be a team sport on motorbikes , 90% of fans including ex supporters don't care about the bikes , my misses has been a fan of speedway since the 70s and has no interest in bikes what so ever , you go to superbikes or whatever and in the main they are petrolheads , the bike is king , listen to the commentators on superbikes it's all "he is on the new factory Yamaha with the new shocks blah blah bla " it's all about the bikes , speedway is all about the riders
  • Like 6

these are all valid points except they are not really relevant for speedway because it's not seen as a Motorsport , it is and always will be a team sport on motorbikes , 90% of fans including ex supporters don't care about the bikes , my misses has been a fan of speedway since the 70s and has no interest in bikes what so ever , you go to superbikes or whatever and in the main they are petrolheads , the bike is king , listen to the commentators on superbikes it's all "he is on the new factory Yamaha with the new shocks blah blah bla " it's all about the bikes , speedway is all about the riders

Agree.