British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Flat Track United Kingdom

The preceding photo looks action-packed to me. I wonder when and where it was taken and who the riders are?

93 is Tom Woolley I believe, 71 is Glyn Pocklington, 20 is Darren Trapmore, 18 not certain but I think Mark Richardson, 1 is Aidan Collins. Old photo taken before I started in 2012 not sure of the track.

This was August 6th 2011. Track is the trotting track at Towan near Rhyl in north Wales. Proper half mile oval, 4 lap races, less than 2 minutes for the 4 laps, even in the rain.

54 is Boastie, and no 10 Tim Grieg is there somewhere, cant remember anybody else.

Been back there once to a rain off, never been back and I have heard track is no more

Edited by nick-R

FIM just send out an update to the calendars, and Rye House will host one of the four FIM Flattrack Cup finals on August 26th.

• Like 1

FIM just send out an update to the calendars, and Rye House will host one of the four FIM Flattrack Cup finals on August 26th.

That's an interesting fixture. I wonder who the European starters will be in the meeting at Rye House? What are the other dates and countries for the 2017 Series?

That's an interesting fixture. I wonder who the European starters will be in the meeting at Rye House? What are the other dates and countries for the 2017 Series?

Four rounds:

24 June 2017 at Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic (long-track)

17 July 2017 at Badia Calavena, Italy (speedway)

26 August 2017 at Rye House, England (speedway)

9 September 2017 at Macon, France (speedway)

http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/calendar/flat-track/

There were no British riders in the 2016 FIM Flat Track series, but interestingly some Spanish riders featured very prominently. The Italians seem to be teh best in European Flat Track motorcycle racing.

Note that the runner-up in the 2016 series is Emanuele Marzotto, the son of the GM speedway engine constuctor, Giuseppe Marzotto.

Results

F.I.M. FLAT TRACK CUP 2016

over three rounds, at Marianske Lazne (CZ), Badia Calavena (ITA), and Morizes (FRA).

1. Francesco CECCHINI (Italy), 86 pts

2. Emanuele MARZOTTO (Italy), 82 pts

3. Franco SERRA (Spain), 65 pts

4. Maikel DIJKSTRA (Holland), 62 pts

5. Wilfried DELESTRE (France), 61 pts

6. Adrian GARÍN (Spain), 50 pts

7. Massimiliano ANDREOTTI (Italy), 50 pts

8. Philippe STELLA (France), 42 pts

9. Gianluca GALLETTI (Italy), 35 pts

10. Pavol PUCKO (Czech Republic), 35 pts

11. Elia GIBERT (Spain), 34 pts

12. Gianni BORGIOTTI (Italy), 34 pts

13. Damian BOMAIS (France), 30 pts

14. Janne RANTALA (Finland), 24 pts

15. Hanson SCHRUF (Austria), 16 pts

(top 15 out of 22 riders in total)

Looking back at the 2015 results of the FIM Flat Track Cup, I see three Brits finishing in the top six of the 2015 series. I wonder why they did not compete in 2016?

2015 F.I.M. FLAT TRACK CUP results:

1. Francesco CECCHINI (Italy), 60 pts

2. Oliver BRINDLEY (Great Britain), 46 pts

3. Emanuele MARZOTTO (Italy), 44 pts + 3 (after run-off)

4. Herman KENKILA (Finland), 44 pts + F (after run-off)

5. Aidan COLLINS (Great Britain), 42 pts

6. Alan BIRTWISTLE (Great Britain), 39 pts

7. Mika KOSKINEN (Finland), 38 pts

8. Pavol PUCKO (Czech Republic), 34 pts

9. Wilfried DELESTRE (France), 33 pts

10. Franco SERRA SALA (Spain), 29 pts

(top 10 out of 19 riders in total)

Edited by Bavarian

When Peter Boast circa 2005 kindled interest in the UK in what is now known at Flat Track racing, the formula was known for some years as Short Track racing - in fact the first UK governing body was known as Short Track UK aka STUK.

Gradually the formula adopted the more popular title of Flat Track racing, a description the formula has enjoyed for many years in its 'parent country' the USA before Flat Track came into popular usage. Flat Track is also the recognised Formula description in most other countries where racing takes place.

However, from time-to-time Short Track is still referred to in some quarters as Short Track racing. I have even seen it sometimes used on USA websites, although when reading further it becomes clear that it is Flat Track racing they are referring to.

In modern times the correct definition is Flat Track racing, and that is also the classification recognised by the worldwide governing body the FIM which also organises an international championship with an FIM description.

In the UK, as can be seen from the Link, the Auto Cycle Union also issues racing licences to riders to participate in Flat Track racing: https://www.acu.org.uk/Uploaded/1/Documents/2017%20Licence%20Forms/2017%20Off%20Road%20Notes.pdf

I shudder whenever I see Flat Track racing described as Short Track - as I am sure for example a speedway supporter would if they saw their motorcycle discipline described as Dirt Track Racing!

Edited by Guest

Dirt Track Riders Association UK

Getting Ready for the Maxxis Flat Track Nationals this weekend? Our latest edition of our online magazine has just dropped to keep you busy until our launch this Saturday.

Massive thanks to Ian Roxbough and Ian Osbourne for another excellent edition.

Share and like please let's get as many people as possible reading about our sport in the UK.

https://issuu.com/anthonybrown5/docs/dtra_magazine_07

Follow the link to see our report from Saturday DTRA x Sideburn season launch at the Bike Shed.

FORWARDED MESSAGE:

Last Saturday, the DTRA and Sideburn held our third joint annual race season launch, and the second one to be hosted by the Bike Shed. The idea is to have a cat...
SIDEBURNMAGAZINE.COM

:::::: SPECIAL NOTE::::::::::

​It is confusing to have several Flat Track threads with nearly similar titles.

The co-operation of BSF posters would be appreciated that if as from this date, April 12, 2017, all photos and comment relative to Flat Track racing are now placed in the thread titled

FLAT TRACK ACTIVITY