British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

Whos Left?

With all due respect, at this level the riders main income should be outside of speedway the same as a non league footballer often has a primary job or business outside of his football training and matches.

I would say the same should apply to the lower riders in the middle tier too, the only riders who should be full time riders are those who race for multiple teams at a high standard whether it's in this country of a combination of this and those abroad.

• Like 2

With 25 places left to fill who's going where ?There is 32 riders from last season(there could be more) who are still not with a team place, I'm sure some have quit or found it too tough but, i'm sure you can fill in any blanks.

B.Andrews/J.Bailey/H.Banks/B,Basford/S,Bebee/K,Bowdery,G,Cottham/L&k Dicken/ L,Geary/J,Haldeer/C,Hay/D,Holt/B,Hopwood/E,Jones/J,Kingston/M,Knuckey/M,Leek/C,Locke/R,MacDonald/A,Mellish/L,Millar/D<Morgan

R,Parker/L,Payne/N,Phillips/G,Piper/J,Purchase/S,Tedham/RT Daley.

Go on, play the who's going where game :lol:

Any chance of an update please pete cc? How many from your initial list might still be affected?

I wonder what would be the outcome if all riders interested and committed to riding in the NL had to register with the league first (a bit like doing a job application) and then there was an embargo on teams signing the (say) over 25's until all of the under 25's had been found team places?

Surely it's wrong for young potential to be stifled because of old crocs on high averages hogging team places?

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

In all, how many riders could miss out on a NL team place in the 2017 season? I make it a possible 37 according to the various previous comments in relation to this. Does any member have a crosscheck total please.

So how are you defining these 37 riders? Given there are the same number of teams as last year, where have these additionAl 37 riders come from? And would it not be a good thing if we did have an extra 37 riders? Have you included Steve Brum amongst them or what criteria have you used?

So how are you defining these 37 riders? Given there are the same number of teams as last year, where have these additionAl 37 riders come from? And would it not be a good thing if we did have an extra 37 riders? Have you included Steve Brum amongst them or what criteria have you used?

With 25 places left to fill who's going where ?There is 32 riders from last season(there could be more) who are still not with a team place, I'm sure some have quit or found it too tough but, i'm sure you can fill in any blanks.

B.Andrews/J.Bailey/H.Banks/B,Basford/S,Bebee/K,Bowdery,G,Cottham/L&k Dicken/ L,Geary/J,Haldeer/C,Hay/D,Holt/B,Hopwood/E,Jones/J,Kingston/M,Knuckey/M,Leek/C,Locke/R,MacDonald/A,Mellish/L,Millar/D<Morgan

R,Parker/L,Payne/N,Phillips/G,Piper/J,Purchase/S,Tedham/RT Daley.

Study pete cc's Opening Post on the subject. You may learn something from that waihekaces1.

Edited by Guest

Would not mind Stonemen at Kings Lynn could do a good job but i beleave he was linked with Mildenhall as lives local .

Study pete cc's Opening Post on the subject. You may learn something from that waihekaces1.

The majority of riders in the opening poster's list struggled to average 3 last year. They have generally lost out to other 3 point riders. Isn't that the point of sporting competition.

The only way more riders will have NL team places is if there are more tracks. A higher limit (or no limit at all) would jeopardize Buxton and the 'second teams' so that wouldn't help.

It looks to me as if the limit is pretty much at the sweet spot (see earlier posting from john leslie).

I see very few riders with existing GSAs over 3 missing out.

Edited by arnieg

I went a bit further and identified 11 better riders (6.35 upwards) who at this stage look likely non starters for NL and with 1 new one (Boxall) left a combined net shortfall of 84.5 points. Replace with 10 3.0 pointers and the shortfall is 54 or 4.5 per team. This would indicate that only 37.5 are available unless some 'opt outers' change their mind.

In this scenario it is certain that some teams will start at least a point under limit probably more.

It also means the statement that no rider over 3.0 should miss out is spot on.

Of the two teams completed Cradley are 38.90 and Eastbourne 38.27 which lowers the 37.5 availability even further for the other 10 teams. With Birmingham and Mildenhall also certain to be near the limit the situation must be getting pretty dire for the remaining 8.

Unless there are some surprises none of us has anticipated I am pretty sure one (or more)will be under 37.

• Like 1

I went a bit further and identified 11 better riders (6.35 upwards) who at this stage look likely non starters for NL and with 1 new one (Boxall) left a combined net shortfall of 84.5 points. Replace with 10 3.0 pointers and the shortfall is 54 or 4.5 per team. This would indicate that only 37.5 are available unless some 'opt outers' change their mind.

In this scenario it is certain that some teams will start at least a point under limit probably more.

It also means the statement that no rider over 3.0 should miss out is spot on.

Of the two teams completed Cradley are 38.90 and Eastbourne 38.27 which lowers the 37.5 availability even further for the other 10 teams. With Birmingham and Mildenhall also certain to be near the limit the situation must be getting pretty dire for the remaining 8.

Unless there are some surprises none of us has anticipated I am pretty sure one (or more)will be under 37.

So, despite some clown spamming this thread with nonsense about 30 riders being put out of work, you reckon there's a place for every 3.00+ rider and we still won't have enough riders to get everyone up to the 39 point limit?

I'm a little more optimistic. I reckon we can have full employment and almost all teams will be close to 39.

Edited by John Leslie

With 25 places left to fill who's going where ?

There is 32 riders from last season(there could be more) who are still not with a team place, I'm sure some have quit or found it too tough but, i'm sure you can fill in any blanks.

B.Andrews/J.Bailey/H.Banks/B,Basford/S,Bebee/K,Bowdery,G,Cottham/L&kDickenL,Geary/J,Haldeer/C,Hay/D,Holt/B,Hopwood/E,Jones/J,Kingston/M,Knuckey/M,Leek/C,Locke/R,MacDonald/A,Mellish/L,Miar/D<MorganR,Parker/L,Payne/N,PhillipG,Piper/J,Purchase/S,Tedham/RT Daley.

Others I can think of our Shanes, Mason, stoneman, Strudwick, Perks, Woods

Here's a rider who at the moment does miss out:

David Mason, Kent Kings, average 6.54

Edited by Guest

What point are you trying to make? Edited by eaglesno1

What point are you trying to make?

We do tread the same old ground. Just read the comment by arnieg which also topped the quotes in your message.

Edited by Guest

He's just posting absolute crap (as normal) and getting badly shown up.

He doesn't seem to be familiar with the phrase "when you're in a hole, stop digging".

I am putting a case that the averages system used in speedway can penalise better scorers and allow those of lower quality and ability to be allowed to hold down a team place.

At the moment, David Mason with a 6.54 average cannot be placed in a team. How many riders with lower averages, experience and ability have found places for the 2017 season - far too many IMO.

Gustix is entitled to be keen on any rider, (David Mason in this case),,even if the majority are not of the same opinion ,,and while a bit stuck in the past,he still makes a valuable contribution to speedway threads...And by the way Gustix,..David Mason could still get a team place this season..

Edited by waco
  • Like 1