British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Air Fences Lifting

What do you mean, you don't know Rob Maxfield!

Rob was a great hard-working rider who put in the hard miles, travelling the length and breadth of the country chasing his dream to the best of his ability.

Fondly remembered by Workington fans, had a good season with the Comets in '78.

You mention his tight line on the kerb; I made occasional trips to watch the old Furness Flyers at Park Road, Barrow and Rob was among the visitors (Exeter?) on what was presumably his first visit. Out of the gate in smart fashion, onto the kerb, down the back straight, onto the kerb...and off towards the fence, frantically locking up harder and harder before a great save. Twas a tricky circuit, but good action.

Apologies for digression.

• Like 1

Rob was a great hard-working rider who put in the hard miles, travelling the length and breadth of the country chasing his dream to the best of his ability.

And who could forget Aces v Bees in 1979. Reserve Rob Maxfield was given the tactical ride in the final heat after having a great meeting at reserve.

The Belle Vue fans groaned when it was announced that Eric was putting Maxi out in the decisive heat.

But I knew if Rob could get out of the gate and get onto his tight line on the kerb, then the Bees would be breathing exhaust fumes.

Rob was that excited that he fell off his bike as he rushed up the little ramp that led onto the track. Another groan from Soldier Boy and the rest but I had my fingers crossed.

The tapes went up and Rob and PC were flying in perfect formation. Peter high, wide and handsome and Rob's front wheel gripping the inside kerb like a terrier. Collins constantly looking back at Olsen in the effortless way that only a true master of their craft seems able to achieve.

Olsen and his chum probed and prodded but there was no chink in the Belle Vue armour.

5-1, 5-1, 5-1 Hooray, Hooray, Hooray. Aces win the day.

The Aces give the heroic duo the bumps at the pit gate and the Cathedral of Speedway goes totally and utterly wild.

So, what do you mean you don't know Rob Maxfield. If you don't know Mr Maxfield then your knowledge of speedway must be a little limited.

ex81.jpg

Rob Maxfield and his Falcons.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

He was also a 'whizz kid' on financial matters...dealing in stocks and shares and the like!

Can't believe it's 10 years since Mark Lorams crash

It must be 30 years this year that I first raced against him at hackney, time flies.

That's the thing you can only dream about racing.

Doesn't Rory live in the midlands Gem ? I can think of several Aussies who stayed here but your right that suggestion is wrong,don't even know him.

Yes Rory lives in Coventry so I suppose the exception to the rule is when they have an English partner and settle down here where there are more opportunities to race.

YOUR hatred of all things Briggs surfacing again.

From memory I think the first air-fence, as used by BSI in the GPs, was produced by Andy Coffey in Australia.

The initial air-fences designed and sold by Tony Briggs were not instantly approved without question. Tony went through an extensive testing procedure with people involved with safety procedures at F1 circuits and the FIM set a standard that all air-fences had to meet.

Of course they are not perfect but no one ever suggested that they would prevent injury every time a rider crashed into one. The lifting of the fences has been a problem and I think there are new designs coming out which will help alleviate that.

But let's not forget how many riders have escaped serious injury because of the air-fences. I can still recall Jason Crump having an horrendous looking crash in a GP in Sweden when the air-fence was first introduced and he simply got up, dusted himself off and walked away.

Former BSI boss John Postlethwaite made rider safety a top priority when he first took over the SGP series and there has been huge progress since then. I have yet to talk to a rider who would prefer to go back to the old days when air-fences were not compulsory.

YOUR hatred of all things Briggs surfacing again.

From memory I think the first air-fence, as used by BSI in the GPs, was produced by Andy Coffey in Australia.

The initial air-fences designed and sold by Tony Briggs were not instantly approved without question. Tony went through an extensive testing procedure with people involved with safety procedures at F1 circuits and the FIM set a standard that all air-fences had to meet.

Of course they are not perfect but no one ever suggested that they would prevent injury every time a rider crashed into one. The lifting of the fences has been a problem and I think there are new designs coming out which will help alleviate that.

But let's not forget how many riders have escaped serious injury because of the air-fences. I can still recall Jason Crump having an horrendous looking crash in a GP in Sweden when the air-fence was first introduced and he simply got up, dusted himself off and walked away.

Former BSI boss John Postlethwaite made rider safety a top priority when he first took over the SGP series and there has been huge progress since then. I have yet to talk to a rider who would prefer to go back to the old days when air-fences were not compulsory.

Edited by bartlett

And who could forget Aces v Bees in 1979. Reserve Rob Maxfield was given the tactical ride in the final heat after having a great meeting at reserve.

The Belle Vue fans groaned when it was announced that Eric was putting Maxi out in the decisive heat.

But I knew if Rob could get out of the gate and get onto his tight line on the kerb, then the Bees would be breathing exhaust fumes.

Rob was that excited that he fell off his bike as he rushed up the little ramp that led onto the track. Another groan from Soldier Boy and the rest but I had my fingers crossed.

The tapes went up and Rob and PC were flying in perfect formation. Peter high, wide and handsome and Rob's front wheel gripping the inside kerb like a terrier. Collins constantly looking back at Olsen in the effortless way that only a true master of their craft seems able to achieve.

Olsen and his chum probed and prodded but there was no chink in the Belle Vue armour.

The Aces give the heroic duo the bumps at the pit gate and the Cathedral of Speedway goes totally and utterly wild.

So, what do you mean you don't know Rob Maxfield. If you don't know Mr Maxfield then your knowledge of speedway must be a little limited.

ex81.jpg

ex81.jpg

I thought Soldier Boy was a Leicester fan ? .. saw him once at Brandon in about 1990 . by then he had moved south and was a Poole fan , had a conversation with Peter York on the centre Green from the Stand !!

I think pretty much everyone Knows that Robert 72 was never a speedway rider , In which case posting suggestions of various different actual Robert speedway riders ,Not only fuels his Walter Mitty syndrome, but is also quite insulting to the Roberts who actually did ride , since you are comparing them with a complete scyzophrenic idiot , Robert 72 is actually more Likely to be Morrisey fan than any actual rider past or present

• Like 1

I thought Soldier Boy was a Leicester fan ? .. saw him once at Brandon in about 1990 . by then he had moved south and was a Poole fan , had a conversation with Peter York on the centre Green from the Stand !!

I think pretty much everyone Knows that Robert 72 was never a speedway rider , In which case posting suggestions of various different actual Robert speedway riders ,Not only fuels his Walter Mitty syndrome, but is also quite insulting to the Roberts who actually did ride , since you are comparing them with a complete scyzophrenic idiot , Robert 72 is actually more Likely to be Morrisey fan than any actual rider past or present

Soldier Boy, a Leicester fan?

I don't think so!

Soldier Boy was always stood in the same place at Hyde Road, right next to the start line.

This was the ideal position for bellowing at whoever might be the subject of his attention.

As I was a season ticket holder and had my own reserved seat (wow), I always positioned directly behind SB and was ideally placed to observe the looks on the riders' faces when they received a verbal lashing..

Now, perhaps like some on here, he was an International Man of Mystery hiding behind multiple identities and so might have popped up at Leicester.

But I don't think so as he had Hyde Road blood running through his veins but hey, you could be right.

Edited by Little Thumper

Soldier Boy, a Leicester fan?

I don't think so!

Soldier Boy was always stood in the same place at Hyde Road, right next to the start line.

This was the ideal position for bellowing at whoever might be the subject of his attention.

As I was a season ticket holder and had my own reserved seat (wow), I always positioned directly behind SB and was ideally placed to observe the looks on the riders' faces when they received a verbal lashing..

Now, perhaps like some on here, he was an International Man of Mystery hiding behind multiple identities and so might have popped up at Leicester.

But I don't think so as he had Hyde Road blood running through his veins but hey, you could be right.

what lead me to think he was a Leicester fan , was when Peter York was speaking to him form the centre green I thought he said "My Old Friend from Leicester ) Since Peter Yorp was presenter at both Cov and Leicester I assumed that was where soldier boy was a supporter , but much water has passed under the bridge since then and I've been to bed a few times .. also the height of Soldier Boys fame would have been a little before My time . I started seriously in 1964

what lead me to think he was a Leicester fan , was when Peter York was speaking to him form the centre green I thought he said "My Old Friend from Leicester ) Since Peter Yorp was presenter at both Cov and Leicester I assumed that was where soldier boy was a supporter , but much water has passed under the bridge since then and I've been to bed a few times .. also the height of Soldier Boys fame would have been a little before My time . I started seriously in 1964

Yeah, right!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Soldier Boy was known to loudly support Ray Wilson at big meetings, so perhaps this was why it was assumed he was also a Leicester fan .

Over the years I recall he switched his allegiance to Peter Collins, as he came to the fore and Ray's star began to dim.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

Once when Soldier Boy supported his beloved Aces, in particular Peter Collins, at Hull (Boulevard) the announcer was so sick of the back and forth banter with SB (which he was defo losing) he annnounced "there is only one mouth bigger than yours and that is Falmouth !". Cue loads of laghter all round. Then it was announced "the next record is especially for our friend from Belle Vue" and proceeded to play "Run For Home" by Lindisfarne:

"Chorus:

Run for home run as fast as I can
Oh-oh running man running for home
Run for home run as fast as I can
Oh-oh running man running for home."

Etc.

Cue loads more laughter - including Soldier Boy - who stood up and applauded with loads of thumbs up to the announcer. Long time ago, mid 1970's forget the score now but the SB incedent is still fondly remembered, good stuff....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

Remember Soldier Boy well...had a verbal 'debate' with 'Cassius' Middleton at Cowley once (in his Ray Wilson supporting years).

I last read somewhere that he had won the lottery or something similar some years ago now.

Remember Soldier Boy well...had a verbal 'debate' with 'Cassius' Middleton at Cowley once (in his Ray Wilson supporting years).

I last read somewhere that he had won the lottery or something similar some years ago now.

Never heard of soldier boy

Aww bless. You're not old enough. Once heard never forgotten. :lol: I remember him from his time when he was supporting Ray Wilson.