British Speedway Forum
John Leslie

Future For Odsal Stadium - Bradford Rugby Go Bump Again!

I apologise if I offended you in any way. That was not my intent.

I Post the truth as I see it. You may not like it - that is your right. My right is having the right to say it.

I do not retract one word of my Post.

What are you apologizing for?

Surely, you don't have to apologize for expressing a reasonable opinion?

Or do we have to apologize in advance of saying anything these days just in case somebody, somewhere might possibly be an itty bitty bit upset?

Stop the bus, I want to get off.

• Like 3

No there are loads of Christian Churches in Sunderland - I suspect you already know this.

Not sure why you need a separate Roman Catholic Church when there's a perfectly good Anglian Church...

Last I heard this was a Christian Country.

I suspect it's more an atheist country, but there's apparently over 100 churches in Sunderland so 2 mosques is hardly evidence of a new Islamic State in the north-east.

How many Christian Churches are there in Islamic Countries

Well actually a lot. The Eastern Orthodox Church is headquartered in Turkey, the Coptic Church is based in Egypt, the Syriac Church is based in Syria, plus there are 2.5 million Christians in Pakistan, 1.5 million in Iraq, and sizeable numbers in Iran as well. In fact, Saudi Arabia is probably the only Islamic country where churches aren't allowed.

• Like 2

Not sure why you need a separate Roman Catholic Church when there's a perfectly good Anglian Church...

I suspect it's more an atheist country, but there's apparently over 100 churches in Sunderland so 2 mosques is hardly evidence of a new Islamic State in the north-east.

Well actually a lot. The Eastern Orthodox Church is headquartered in Turkey, the Coptic Church is based in Egypt, the Syriac Church is based in Syria, plus there are 2.5 million Christians in Pakistan, 1.5 million in Iraq, and sizeable numbers in Iran as well. In fact, Saudi Arabia is probably the only Islamic country where churches aren't allowed.

I noice you don't address my point about what is happening to Christian Churches in Islamic Coutries - typical of you that.

Don't think I haven't, once again, noted your very selective quoting.

Anyway - Little Thumper is right - I suggest we call a stop to this on a Thread that is Speedway related.

• Like 1

I noice you don't address my point about what is happening to Christian Churches in Islamic Coutries - typical of you that.

Don't think I haven't, once again, noted your very selective quoting.

Anyway - Little Thumper is right - I suggest we call a stop to this on a Thread that is Speedway related.

That's a first!

Let me make a note.

:party:

• Like 1

Great Post.

Problem is it has only heightened my concerns.

It will take many years possibly - but people really do need to be aware of what is going on.

Apologies - I was not going to Post on this Thread again about this - and then I read foamfence's excellent Post.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

thought this looked an interesting topic - can't find much about it though with all the irrelevant garbage being spouted as usual

thought this looked an interesting topic - can't find much about it though with all the irrelevant garbage being spouted as usual

Sorry to have disappointed you, Sidders.

:cry:

Don't often venture to far from the national league pages, can see why with how off topic this has gone. Shoes this site not get moderated?

Anyway back on track, going back a couple of years Steve Rees had serious talks about reusing the stadium and whilst the council supported the plans, the rugby authorities were adamant there was no chance. Perhaps now those talks may happen again.

If so, it makes sense for any new speedway/ stock car venture to include the other as it will reduce various costs significantly.

Edited by teaboy279

Well getting back to Odsal, speedway wasn't a financially successful venture last time around, so what would be different now with an even more difficult climate?

Speedway needs to be investing in it's own facilities if at all possible, not putting its money into a big hole in the ground. Things like the 'National Speedway Stadium' need to be sorted out before considering another venue just down the road.

• Like 1

Well getting back to Odsal, speedway wasn't a financially successful venture last time around, so what would be different now with an even more difficult climate?

Speedway needs to be investing in it's own facilities if at all possible, not putting its money into a big hole in the ground. Things like the 'National Speedway Stadium' need to be sorted out before considering another venue just down the road.

Very true, another factor is that housing has been approved on land surrounding the stadium and the Richard Dunn centre opposite the main entrance, is likely to be sold because of running costs. The most likely buyers for that particular plot would again be housing developers.

For years I have felt speedway should have invested for its future. All the thousands that watched the sport before and after WW2, where did all that money go? Then we had the lull of the 50s, which should have sound warning bells that the sport needs to plan, get its table in order, and build a more sustainable future and sounder base. But it didn't, even during the halcyon days of the seventies. Then we had another lull, before SKY's millions came in. But where have the millions gone? And the sport is again facing a major crisis, as promoters, who come and go, many with new ideas that will save the sport (yawn), but are merely speedway fans with a little money to throw and opportunity to front a real speedway club. After all, the Flyin' Shale game for the PC was good enough fun.

It is a live for today plan that sees the sport what it is in 2017.

• Like 3

Very true, another factor is that housing has been approved on land surrounding the stadium and the Richard Dunn centre opposite the main entrance, is likely to be sold because of running costs. The most likely buyers for that particular plot would again be housing developers.

Gets harder all the time to have sports facilities near housing.Just had a problem here where an all weather football pitch had its use restricted because a neighbour complained about the noise.Luckily the restriction has just been overturned,but one person complaining is all that is needed

• Like 2

The RFL were charging Bradford Bulls an annual rent of £72,000 plus the Bulls were responsible for all maintenance costs and other stadium related costs. The business rates alone are £99,000 per year. So there's £171,000 per year plus maintenance costs for anyone wishing to take on Odsal and use t for speedway.