British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lynnboy

Dakota North

People haven't forgotten Hugh Skidmore already have they..

Got to know Dakota when he lived with Carl Blackbird for a season, & found him to be a really nice down to earth lad. Could have been a top rider in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, proud panther said:

Got to know Dakota when he lived with Carl Blackbird for a season, & found him to be a really nice down to earth lad. Could have been a top rider in my opinion.

Certainly he was our surprise packet in 2010 at reserve. Double figures at hard tracks like Sheffield helped us to get many away wins and to top the league table, only to lose it during playoffs. We had won the two cup competitions so losing the league was a bit upsetting as we were favourites to have a clean sweep. Great contribution from Dakota.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, *JJ said:

Named after an aeroplane!

Great WW2 aircraft, the Dakota or 'Dak' as it was known. Great transport aircraft and many still flying. The Lincoln Heritage Museum has a pristine example! 

17 hours ago, scottyfan said:

Used to think Aussie rider Strider Horton had the best name ever. Think he used to mechanic for Jason Crump too.

How about Slant Payling

23 hours ago, bendover said:

People haven't forgotten Hugh Skidmore already have they..

Taylor Poole another one

12 hours ago, Normski said:

Taylor Poole another one

First time i saw him in the pits at derwent park i thought he should be in junior school , he looked very young but he could ride a bike i thought he could have gone far in the sport.

13 hours ago, Normski said:

Taylor Poole another one

Remember seeing him on his European debut in Denmark with his curly hair !! Saw a few of the Aussie kids when they first came over to Denmark. Darcy, the Kurtz brothers etc

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:02 PM, Tsunami said:

Certainly he was our surprise packet in 2010 at reserve. Double figures at hard tracks like Sheffield helped us to get many away wins and to top the league table, only to lose it during playoffs. We had won the two cup competitions so losing the league was a bit upsetting as we were favourites to have a clean sweep. Great contribution from Dakota.

Edinburgh finished top of the table that year Sir. We were only 16 pts ahead of Newcastle though!

That was the year when Sheffield dumped us out of the play-offs with one of the most embarrassing / remarkable 2-legged comebacks of all time.

From memory, I think you guys won the PL play-off final but lost the promotion one to Ipswich?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Edinburgh finished top of the table that year Sir. We were only 16 pts ahead of Newcastle though! 

That was the year when Sheffield dumped us out of the play-offs with one of the most embarrassing / remarkable 2-legged comebacks of all time.

From memory, I think you guys won the PL play-off final but lost the promotion one to Ipswich?

One of the reasons why I was never a fan of Play-Offs deciding who ends up as Champions.

1 hour ago, King Jamie said:

Looking at the honours board on our club site it does say we won both cups and we were the League winners. I know we lost the playoffs, but though we had lost to Somerset on the first round of the playoffs. Just  my memory. 

What year was it we lost at your place, beaten in the golden heat system. I was over the Atlantic at the times but I would have loved to be at your place despite the result to yourselves. As it would happen I also missed the Ipswich final due to being in the Caribbean. Mustn't have had much confidence both times booking cruises thinking we wouldn't make any final.

Nice to hear from you again, it's been a long time, hope you are well. :P 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:24 AM, Skodaman said:

How about Slant Payling

Tyburn Gallows is my favourite. Although not his real name of course.

10 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Tyburn Gallows is my favourite. Although not his real name of course.

was his real name something Humphreys?